This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Can I put out a work order?
coax
Administrator
posted July 26, 2001 01:46 PM            
If anyone has free time. Could someone actually sit down and make a referee tank. Has a supercharged mass driver to hell unlimited ammo. All new poly model for the tank so you can't see it if you don't have it, 100% armor. And a nice checkerd black and white motiff skin would be cool.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

lordbyron
posted July 26, 2001 01:53 PM            
No problem Coax,

We boys here in R&D will get right on it...

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted July 26, 2001 02:56 PM            
thanks R&D

------------------

IP:

lordbyron
posted July 26, 2001 05:41 PM            
I've completed the tank and weaponry--I gave it a deathlaser w/ lots of kick (at least what it doesn't kill,)godly strong armor, and virtually unlimited ammo. It even sounds a siren when the laser is fired...But mapping a decent checkerboard pattern is really hard.

IP:

LordDrow
posted July 26, 2001 06:01 PM            
Nice turn-around time there LB. I would have jumped on that myself if I had caught the e-mail. Would love to see a copy of that as long as other designated referees aren't averse to it. hehehehehe...

=MM=LordDrow

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted July 26, 2001 11:32 PM            
thanks lb. Can you send the present copy to coaxs@yahoo.com from there I'll ICQ it to others for testing.

IP:

lordbyron
posted July 27, 2001 01:45 AM            
The prototype is in the mail...

--lb

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 30, 2001 01:05 AM            
why would a ref tank need a weapon ? i say no weapons, superfast heavy tankgoid style movements and unlimited hull.

IP:

lordbyron
posted July 30, 2001 01:35 AM            
Matrix,

Good question. "Why would a referee tank need a weapon?" I may be way off, but I think Coax asked for this mod to deal with the problem of Cyber-bullies--individuals who join online matches and engage in activities such as insulting others, or engaging in gaming strategies which unduly injure other individuals ar the community as a whole. And an unarmed ref tank is akin to an unarmed U.N. advisor--while their denunciations may decrease the esteem others place on rogue participants, often, these rogues care little for such denunciations and simply ignore the rights and requirements of the larger community to further their own selfish and often repugnant ends.

Specifically, the new enforcer units would address situations such as the impostor incidents which have occured recently--I think most recently somone pretended to be SuperUnknown--and tried to bully people online and horde weapons. The weaponry of these new units will lessen the potential of such actions in the future by giving the regulars a means of reducing the psychological benifits that many bullies often experience--that of feeling powerful by being able to push others around. (And yes, I am quite aware of the seeming contradiction of using intimidation to deter intimidation...such is the dilemma of all police forces.) And once these bullies lose the thrill that arrives from such intimidation, they will leave our community.

In short, b/c we do not have the power to boot disruptive people from the servers, many of us have chosen to take a stand to make gameplay less appealing to those will not play by the modest requirements of courtesy and fair play.

This, I think, is why referee tanks need weaponry. I hope I have been a fruitful and genteel discussion which will help chart the future gaming ettiquette of our favorite online community.

--lb

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted July 31, 2001 02:21 AM            
I was going to defend my position, but i beleive lordbyron said it more elequently then I ever could. In addition to his above comments which I agree with all of them. Also, there has been need of a 'photo-tank', a 'referee tank', and a 'Police tank'. It would just be easier if we used the same tank for all 3 roles then just each for a single role.

------------------

IP:

Rommell
posted August 08, 2001 05:52 PM            
email a copy to anglint@nccat.org for OZ...

IP:

peeeto
posted August 10, 2001 09:41 AM         
but don't forget, there's nothing to stop a pest from logging in to a game with a Referee Tank as well... to become a super-bully!

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 10, 2001 09:55 AM         
Or to stop a referee from becoming corrupted with power - Mwahahahahahah. Ohhhhh- a referee duel - judged by the amount of air the opponent gets.

JK, could you send me a copy so I can post it on my website?

Really JK, So, who gets to be part of the tank police? (not me! I am rarely on during prime time these days)

IP:

Rex R
posted August 10, 2001 12:33 PM            
well first you have to be part of the dominion and cute and female... not to mention drive a boneparte tank

IP:

lordbyron
posted August 10, 2001 12:36 PM            
Peeto,

Fortunately, there is a way to stop the "super-bully." The ref. tank has only been released to a select few regular players. And when introduced as a server-side mod, it can be put into a game and only those who possess the files will be able to see it, much less use it. To everyone else it's an invisible ghost tank fragging bullies before they know what hit them.

And if he hasn't already taken care of it, please forward all sever requests for this mod to Coax as I think it important to limit the distribution of this mod.

--lb

IP:

lordbyron
posted August 10, 2001 01:04 PM            
As for the rogue Sandmen...just remember the universal Dad's threat: "I brought you into this world, (and with a few keystrokes,) I can take you out!" The server controls wh/ files are used. A few keystrokes and "Bam!!" the ref. tank is easier to light up than a Bic lighter. So all you potential Logans beware.

How's that for "Mwhahaaa!"

IP:

peeeto
posted August 10, 2001 01:12 PM         
but i _think_ that players who don't have it installed locally might still be able to choose it to use, as the server may synch the ENT file(s) with the clients...?

IP:

lordbyron
posted August 10, 2001 01:38 PM            
I may be wrong, but w/ ENT synching I think both server and player need to possess the relevant files. Am I wrong?!

My experience has been that I can't see tanks I don't have in my Addon folder when playing on a given server. It took me a week to get the right version of LD's Baneblade even when I played on his server. Invisible tanks would glide around fragging me and saying "Hi!" as they passed my charred wreckage. I could see mysterious floating weapons creaping around. It was disconcerting to say the least. I assume this is standard for mods. If not please let me know.

--lb

IP:

JVortex
posted August 10, 2001 01:44 PM            
players who dont have it installed will have the name show up in their tank list after their initial synch. but since the players comp doesnt have the model on it the client comp will have no clue how to apply physics to the tank and it will be completely unplayable. (it will do the flopping about thing and maneuvering will really not be much of an option).

this has been long awaited and should be easily doable . glad someone got around to doing it. hehe

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 10, 2001 01:45 PM            
all right, I'll comment here again, because everyone is starting to drool over this . The tank is not meant to be posted on a website. Its only distributed to server ops, and those that will be 'monitoring' the servers. It will only be passed through ICQ, so I know who gets it. It will never be used for fun, just in cases where the "dumba$$" is being such a problem that people would rather leave the server then stay in it.

peeto, JV came up with a solution to that problem

quote:
well i wonder... commenting out the tank name and type parameters in the tank ent file may work... that way the tank wouldnt show up in someones list AFTER they have already logged in and synched ent's but that may allow someone to log in initially using it if they select the tank from their list BEFORE the synch has happened

also, everyone can stop pestering LB for it, you can pester me

Great job on it LB. Its like a flying lego. But its streamline too. Love the police siron good work.

------------------

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 10, 2001 02:07 PM         
Hehe - I did say just kidding. I guess that servers need a copy of the tank. I'll get one from you later, coax, as my servers are metastable at best now. Oh, servers who make mod pack should be really sure not to accidentally include the ref in their zipped Addons directory. Perhaps installing it directly into the appropriate main folder of the server would be a good precaution.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 10, 2001 02:11 PM            
thats a good idea Weather

IP:

LordDrow
posted August 10, 2001 07:13 PM            
Coax, could I possibly talk you out of a copy of the police tank for my server?

Thanks,

=MM=LordDrow

IP:

KONG
posted August 10, 2001 07:50 PM            
the first i see anyone misuse that tank it will be time for me to stop playing tm.

but i know u guys would never do that?

i never really liked the idea to begin with.

IP:

JVortex
posted August 10, 2001 08:35 PM            
just a thought but increase the mass on it to like 5 and also increase its gravity and friction a bit to maybe each around 3 or 4). that will let it travel over rough terrain better. after doing that its acceleration will need to be increased to compensate (probably x2 what it is now). but this will allow the tank to travel easily and quickly on rough uneven terrain and even on the moon.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2