|
Author Topic:   How to add lettering to a texture
swisher
posted July 20, 2001 09:34 AM            
I'm tinkering with the 240mm to add ENTegrety lettering to it for a tutorial, but it comes out backwards (or something).

How do add lettering to a texture and have it show not inverted? Tools or something?

Thanks.

------------------
Swisher - Check out ENTegrety for mods.
BWL/MG

IP:

Rex R
posted July 20, 2001 12:39 PM            
while I don't know the specifics for the 240mm, normally when I'm doing up a 'skin' I will see which way the lettering ends up as a test then rotate/flip the texture in my paint prog(just remember which way the texture was oriented in the 1st place) and place lettering normally, restore texture to original orientation and fire up the game. (note set the weight up to around 300-500 range and use driver training to check the look) (2nd note save your changes as example 240mm1 and keep the original for reference)

IP:

lordbyron
posted July 20, 2001 12:57 PM            
Swish,

The lettering doesn't ALWAYS end up backwards. It depends on which face of the object you're using. (If I were cruel, I start using exotic terms like "normals" and "1 or 2-sided polys," but I'll put aside my aforementioned sadism. :-) In short, the .luv files use the same texture for both faces of any surface. If your lettering is inverted on one face, it will show up as non-inverterd on the other face.
I encounter this prob. from time to time when I want to put my signature "LB" on my mods--look for them; many, but not all, are signed in out of the way places.
If you're using Lithium's UVmapper, a good way to correct inversion is to "flip" your faces along the proper axis of inversion--the mapper does this w/a simple flick of a button.

IP:

swisher
posted July 21, 2001 08:21 AM            
Thank you guys for the help.

------------------
Swisher - Check out ENTegrety for mods.
BWL/MG

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 22, 2001 10:12 PM            
Do what blender does when it comes to painting, have the proggy just use the model and luv file to print the skin on there, and edit it in real time and put the output into a bmp file for easy edits, then if you want to use Photoshop or GIMP for making special effects & what-not then you can just edit the bmp with ENTegrity reloading it every minute/30 seconds/or whatever you want it to be. This, in my opinion, is THE WAY to go IF you have the time to do it and the ability (anything is possible for the just causes of TM )

IP:

Random Chaos
posted July 24, 2001 04:34 PM            
You'll have to filp the lettering on the BMP. The problem is that LWO files are directionally based for each face and TM maps on a face basis, therefore when lettering the "wrong" side it will be inverted.

--RC

IP:

peeeto
posted July 31, 2001 08:13 PM         
...thinking about how Lithium's UnWrapper works, i think that this might work also:

first step, select all the poly's, and flip them either vertically or horizontally.

that way, the images might be "painted" on the poly's from the opposite direction than they would be normally (pun intended ).

if someone gives it a try, let me know how it works...

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 31, 2001 08:18 PM         
welcome back, peeeto!

IP:

peeeto
posted July 31, 2001 08:51 PM         
(thanks, dreamer!)

ok - just tried it out with a simple cube, and that method seemed to work great.

(note: although LithUnwrap previews the model with correct lettering at first, without changing anything, i believe that the text would be inverted if this cube were used in TM without flipping the faces first)

after preparing a bitmap simply numbering each square face of the cube (with the numbers written as normal), i then selected all the poly's and flipped them horizontally (Edit-->Flip-->Horizontal). all the numbers were then displayed as if looking at them in a mirror.

so, my suggestion for any LUV texturing of TreadMarks objects (using LithUnwrap) is to:
Select-->All
then
Edit-->Flip-->Horizontal
as a first step _before_ exporting the bitmap texture template
(File-->Template-->Save)

i hope this helps!

IP: