|
Author Topic:   laser help?
oli2808
posted July 17, 2001 12:06 PM            
anyone who has tested the triple laser,- know how to make the middle laser fire straight with the other 2 at 45 degrees each side? - at the moment it's just random

IP:

Vlad
posted July 17, 2001 02:11 PM            
While I haven't had a chance to try it out myself yet (gotta find my TM cd...), by looking at what you're aiming for, It's a definite no. All TM does is pick directions randomly from the launchspread parameters given.

IP:

oli2808
posted July 17, 2001 02:29 PM            
ah crap.Oh well it's not that bad at random anyway

IP:

lordbyron
posted July 17, 2001 02:58 PM            
oli,

I know the problem you're encountering. I tried to develop a similar weapon I called the "porcupine" and ran into a similar problem. I suggest that you run w/this limitation and use it to your advantage. (I tried to make it shoot forward and backwards to a very limited success--wh/is why I didn't release it.) But, how about increasing the laser count, launchspread, but reducing the damage to fashion a "laser wave" in front of the tank. It garantees a laser hit, but at the cost of damage.

Another solution would be to borrow an idea from Vlad--I know I have--thanks man!--(We'll see the results soon enough... a hint, grab your swords, the "Shadow Summoner" won't be the only thing to fear from above) and add reflection a la "Dark Nova" to the weapon to improve the potential to hit.

my $.02,

--lb

IP:

oli2808
posted July 17, 2001 03:11 PM            
hmmm yeh i've been trying those sort of effects with it.I'm always experementing with it to see what i can do.

And what's the new weapon your working on then.....sounds very interesting.......

IP:

lordbyron
posted July 17, 2001 05:59 PM            
Well, since you asked...here goes.

It's call aptly enough "Dragon Lord," and it summons a low-flying bona fide dragon breathing fireballs and all. I figured I'd use Vlad's idea from the Summoner--and a good # of ENTs as well--(I loved his birthing explos.) With his brains and my beauty(erh...ful meshes and sound effects) I couldn't lose. Actually, I have a Vladian slew (i.e. 6-8) of mythology-themed weapons I'm tinkering with and am almost ready to release. Here's a list of some:

Dragon Lord--see above

Evil Wizard--great mesh! Summon a wonk-spewing magician to cover your back!

Druid--A magician who creates exploding treants, "moving tree mines" to foil his evil twin.

Djinni--An air spirit who capriciously grants the TMmers greatest wish--destroy everybody else! Summons a medley of weapons from the Tornado or Kamehameha Blast to the Romulan Disruptor Blast or Sheep Brigade.

Golem--A favorite (besides Dragon Lord.) The dirtballs evil big brother! Summon an earth spirit to move the very earth beneath your opponents feet and destroy them or send then hurling off.

Magma flamer--A "reverse" Golem wh/ creates a moving wave of magma which eats away the ground at an opponents feet.

ArchAngel--the Angel Strike's more destructive twin. These green-winged avengers not only kamikaze into tanks, they release the destructive "harsh light of Truth" a small area bomb to cause grief.

And (called for now)
The Deflector Screen--not a myth mod, but it fills a necessary hole in the armaments list--the need for a moving shield...has a pretty good kick too. I'm trying to develop a "soccer" (or football--for you non-Amers.) match mod with this one where you can send an opponent into a destructive goal box and cry, "goooooooal!!!" all you want. But the non-sports version works now.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 17, 2001 06:20 PM            
id like to see the fave 2 from james bond

the old rear fireing dual avengers

and an oil-slick

IP:

lordbyron
posted July 17, 2001 06:26 PM            
Matrix,

The dual avengers wouldn't be a big problem, but a real seeming slick is very difficult. An oil bounce/throw is possible, but to mess with the finer steering controls is beyond TM at the moment.

IP:

JVortex
posted July 18, 2001 01:52 AM            
for the tri laser have the main laser fire streight then spew/ chain in the other 2 as random. should work, wont be an exact spread each time, but the main one will be streight each time

IP:

Rex R
posted July 18, 2001 02:52 AM            
um long shot here (ok wag) but couldn't you use something like, launch count and launch spread (ala the wasps) to do the trick?

[This message has been edited by Rex R (edited July 18, 2001).]

IP:

Vlad
posted July 18, 2001 07:03 AM            
Rex R: No, that wouldn't. That's what he's doing now. Launchspread only specifies a range of angles that the shots can go. TM just picks the directions randomly out of that range. There's no way to tell TM to pick the directions so that they're evenly distributed.

JVortex: The problem with spewers is that you don't have as much control over horizontal direction as you do with the vertical. You can still specify a range of directions, but the spewer acts globally. In other words, spewers don't act in reference to the thing that created them (except for positioning), but they act based on overall directions.

IP:

oli2808
posted July 18, 2001 11:01 AM            
Byron - Jesus! - how many weapons can you make?! - they sound really good, i gotta test em when they're ready.

And about the laser - yeh i tried the spewer idea but i think i'll keep it random,unless i find another way - maybe it's better as a close range weapon than for firing from distances

IP:

The Weatherman
posted July 18, 2001 12:10 PM         
Just an ignorant non-modder idea - is there a way to make the laser expand laterally as it moves forward? like how the shokwave radiates out from one point - just limit it to an arc? That could be a cool wedge laser - much like LB's laser wave idea? Or could the shot expand in all directions as it moves away from the gun? how about making a Phat laser? - increase the diameter of the laser beam to a ridiculously high number (say about the size of a tank)- shoots through terrain, too.

LB - I like the soccer mod idea.

------------------
The Weatherman
The Weatherman's Generic Homepage
Now with stuff!

IP:

lordbyron
posted July 18, 2001 12:48 PM            
Thanks oli...just call me the "micro-merchant of Death." I always wanted to be an inventor as a kid--but no! I had to go be socially responsible and become a teacher--an Eng. teacher no less. Hmm... maybe I see where my latent sadism comes from. (a cackling smile!}

The mythology theme is a gold mine for weapons, I tell you, a gold mine....

--lb

IP:

Rex R
posted July 18, 2001 01:03 PM            
oh (small voice) well never mind (small voice off) allways thought teachers had a tendency toward sadism... how else can you explain the assigning of a ton of homework just before a 3 day weekend or expect students to write a 3 page report what I did on my summer vacation due the 2nd day back from said vacation

IP:

oli2808
posted July 18, 2001 01:43 PM            
teachers......sadists..........nuff said.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 18, 2001 11:40 PM            
hey lord, slap me on icq - we need to chat in detail i think

IP:

Vlad
posted July 18, 2001 11:48 PM            
WM, pretty much all that stuff isn't really possible in TM.

While you could get the visual effect of a "wedge laser" going, you couldn't get the collision detection to match. The laser is actually a hitscan projectile, and the laser that you see onscreen is actually an explosphere (same class as the hit effect when a 120mm hits a tank) generated from the barrel.

The reason it looks like it does it because instead of a sphere mesh, a small plus-shaped one is used, and stretched to be REALLY long. While it would be possible to use a different, wedge-shaped mesh, you can't make a projectile that changes size (getting bigger) in mid-flight (not to mention the fact that the wedge would be completely drawn no matter if it hit something or not.

Which leads me to the "phat laser" idea. It's a good idea, but I was messing around with something similar a while ago. since the laser beam's mesh is essentially a plus sign, making it big makes it look like a big plus sign. It looks sorta ok, but not exactly like a laser, and certainly not cylindrical.

And I'm also pretty sure you can't have things that shoot through terrain.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted July 19, 2001 02:21 AM         
Hmmm... I thought that the regular laser and one other mod did just that. Then again, I could have imagined it. Or those conniving talking orange walruses tricked me into believing it. Curse their festive hides >:[]

IP:

Rex R
posted July 19, 2001 02:32 AM            
hmmm you may want to take a close look at the destructo disk gun. I have seen the disk go right on through hills

IP: