|
Author Topic:   BZ-3 Update News
=DNX= Matrix
posted July 14, 2001 09:27 AM            
Dx has sent me 2 ISDF tanks, his own fighter and slicks bomber - both look wicked in the game.

so i now have 3 ISDF tanks done and 4 SCION tanks. The BZ1 tanks are next once i get 5 of each done.

I fixed the colli map again with positional pickups (thx dreamer)- the actual pickups now check out the same sound as the real bz, and they look the same too with green being hull, blue being stock weapon ammo and YELLOW being the bolton ammo.

Each ship now has its own selection music and engine sounds.

The "RealWorld" map physics are better than ever ensuring that standard stock tanks cant play, they look daft in bz3 anyways. the replacement interface is done. Need to change the stock font tho, and ive changed the "click" sound from a "CHUNK" to a "PING" nicer.....

Intro screens have been replaced and now tell the short tale of bz3 b4 u kick into tha game.

Uglybob's contracted to do the games music (should be kickin ass with some funky beats then... )

ISDF now use JVortex's modified mass driver sight as the main tracking device, and same again for the scions, although their photons isnt guided its a direct shot, and it chucks out some real nice toxic gas... (thx 4 that JV).

I deleted the Armageddon map cos basically it sucked, and you didnt know where u were like you would in the real arma map, i need to rework that one.

Crossroads game me some crap since the tm engine cant cope with all those edges, they just liquify. Entombed will be easy but wont hold the height that the real one does due to ingame limitations.

Pyra has been reworked and now looks pretty awesome (specially if u chuck a nuke at it!!! lol )

I decided to call the New Alien race "The Kri" pronounced Kree. They scanned our old docs and decided to try and replicate our technology, merging it with thir own weapons tech - bad move, resulted in mega weapons of mass annhialation, and liquid looking tanks that really do look the part in space (well its a good way to explain it to the guys from bz lol)

As for weapons, ive decided to have ALL good weapons onboard, thats all DVS Dukes, The Vlad Pack, All the Karsplattt ones etc, even the suicidal sheep !!! , basically everything i can find thats fun to use.

Think ill even make a day wreaker

If anyone wants to help out with making the weapons if you have bz, or want to send me something to include like a map or a ship then feel free, if it fits, its in - also that ideas post i made, i could really do with some weapons making as close to the bz ones as possible, ive not really played with the weapons yet -= too busy with maps and ships and sounds.

thats it so far....... more news soon.

dreamer - Id like to release this in oct, will your prog be ready or should i send u the maps to position the spawnpoints etc....

thx again.

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 14, 2001 10:09 AM         
Matrix - i'd say >98% probability that you are going to have at least a working alpha version on your comp by then...

IP:

Vlad
posted July 14, 2001 10:19 AM            
Well, if you do use my stuff, don't use the Dark Nova, and use the Online version of the Shadow Summoner.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 14, 2001 08:48 PM            
Online version ? what u mean - and i was actualy counting on the Dark Nova as its almost identical to a bz weapon... the "splinter"

Why couldnt i use it, has it been remade ? updated etc.....

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 14, 2001 08:50 PM            
thx 4 the heads up dreamer, ill hold out till then before finishing the maps and releasing the mod.

PS: all the bz2 ships have now been completed, im now working the bz1 ships. plus some alien race style ones that have been submitted by some bz players.

IP:

LordDrow
posted July 14, 2001 10:40 PM            
Nice to know things are coming along well Matrix. Looking forward to a playable version. }:-)

{M}{M}LordDrow

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 14, 2001 11:02 PM            
well im not ready to release anything as yet, but heres some links that let you take a look at the tanks that will be available (not walkers)

bz1 units - http://www.planetbattlezone.com/battlezone/units.shtml

bz2 isdf units - http://www.planetbattlezone.com/battlezone2/isdfunits.shtml

bz2 scion units - http://www.planetbattlezone.com/battlezone2/scionunits.shtml

theres some screenshots too on that site, its the main support site for bz

READ IN - 82 clans in bz and 43 in bz2.

have a skeg round, its mouthwater time - btw, i cant change map texture so the ones i initially release will be based on existing map textures. Once i can do this, ill make some purple ones.

In the meantime, anyone know how to make glowing rockets with smoke trails or projectiles with smooth bezier trails ?

IP:

Vlad
posted July 14, 2001 11:47 PM            
As for "glowing rockets" are you referring to one that would make objects near it appear brighter?

If so, it's pretty much not possible. TM doesn't allow for any such lighting.. the closest thing would be to mess around with flares...

And what do you mean by a bezier trail? Something like the trails left by smaller ships in Homeworld?

IP:

JVortex
posted July 15, 2001 02:52 AM            
looking foreward to this a lot matrix, cant wait.

as to your glowing projectile issue only real way for a glowing doohickey is to do what i did w/ voyagers torpedos.

there is a different version of the shadow summoner on my site that is suitable for online play that doesnt cause lag. the original version could be included in your main pack release but the online version should be used on any server that runs that pack. anyone with the full version of the summoner on their compw would have it synched to the server version when they log in. the server version just has lessened effects for less lag, but still looks quite nice.

let me know if you need more help on it all.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 15, 2001 01:38 PM            
yeah bezier trails, if u look at the SCREENSHOTS sections of bz1 and 2 (links above) u will see, its simply a fading single line trail, very mangalike.

Ok i understand about the shadow summoner - ill go get that thx JV, but whats with the Dark Nova, thats a key weapon in bz3 since i cant actuate a spinning disk firing single bullits. for a 10 second duration with a limited range.

The dark nova was to have been that weapons theoretical upgrade. but if u r insistant then i wont use it, a shame because its perfect for whats needed.

IP:

Vlad
posted July 15, 2001 10:41 PM            
Well, as far as bezier trails go, it's probably not too likely. I've been meaning to try something similar, and the closest thing I could think of that would work would be really short laser-style smoke segments, but something tells me that it wouldn't work well...

And regarding the Dark Nova, it doesn't really work too well online. Due to the fact that it spawns about 10 lasers initially, and each one can spawn 10 more after that, theoretically, that's a lot of load on a server pretty quickly.

The result tends to be either a hiccup in ping, and/or most of the lasers don't get drawn. I could force the drawing of the lasers through transitory = 0, but that would probably make the lag problem worse.

I'm a unfamiliar with the Splinter weapon you mentioned. Does it also have a ricochet on the lasers, or do they just fire once?

If you want, I could set up a modified version of the Dark Nova for you to your specifications.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 16, 2001 11:25 AM            
thx vlad that could be cool, be even better if we can make an actual splinter - didnt know about the lag issue since ive not used it online.

The splinter is a "thrown" projectile, like the bomb lobber, it bounces 2x on the floor then starts spinning, it looks like a catherine wheel firework laid flat. I thought the closest emmission for it would be the machine gun, but lasers would be cooler.

Ideally i need to be distributing weapons with the bz3 pack in oct, so i guess ill have to learn weapon making too - lol, i got me about 3 months to learn hehehe.

Hey anyone seen THE LAST STARFIGHTER film ? "DEATH BLOSSOM" nice lol.

Ill be ready to release a beta of bz3 very soon, with a map, 2 ships and the powerups done.

However, ive found that some things cant be done in the addon dir - some things just have to replace the originals, so it would be a good idea to make a copy of tm b4 u test.

IP:

JVortex
posted July 16, 2001 01:26 PM            
ya thats irritating, all the GUI and many other things have to be altered in the root folders... i was thinking some kind of a complex bat file for install/ removal of the new parts. it might work.

and matrix if youre essentially wanting something that is a projectile that hits the ground spins about and then shoots in multiple directions then that shouldnt be too bad at all. the dark nova shoots in all directions, but then each shot also shoots in a few directions on impact, then those shots shoot in different directions. it can get laggy online real quick (but is damn cool single player). if all you need is something that is shot and then shoots a few shots in random directions (like a frag grenade kinda thing) then a modified shatter missile/ dark nova hybred should work just dandy.

a flattened explosphere set to spin quickly should give the spin effect.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

[This message has been edited by JVortex (edited July 16, 2001).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 16, 2001 09:10 PM            
interesting JV, we'll speak more about this closer the time - in the meantime if ur gonna help out with the weapons, u cud d with a copy of bz - if u want me to send u one, just drop me a line in email.

IP: