|
Author Topic:   2 New Maps to Beta Test!
Random Chaos
posted June 28, 2001 03:39 PM            
Read Below before downloading.

--------------------------------

Map 1:
CTF Poison
0.5 MBs zipped, 1.8 MBs installed.

Map 2:
DM Caves
2.5 MBs zipped, 6 MBs installed

Map 1 Readme:
(CTF Poison)

This map has a poison river. I'm not sure I like the texturing and heightmap of it, but the river is important part. I can reuse this data on new maps now that I know it works.

If anyone wants to get me a better height map, please do! I really don't think this one is the best and it is rather boring...but I threw it together quickly so I could test a poison river idea (we can also do Lava, Acid, etc this way).

Map 2:
(DM Caves)

NOTE: After testing this map Boulders are too rare. I will endever to fix that before the final release. Until then, you may not see too many of them.

Ok. This thing took me 2 weeks to get uploaded (I finally reduced the size of one of the sound files - hope TM will recognize a smaller sound WAV format...). It was too big for my quota on my ISP and I couldn't seem to upload it to any other server - kept stalling at the 200k point. Reducing the Sound file made it fit my ISP's quota.

It "should" work fine. I haven't finished testing it out myself.

Watch for the falling boulders (in a 20 minute game you should have at least 10 fall I'd guess and see a couple of them fall - and hear them all). The boulders are the part that needs the most testing.

I know the skybox corners are seen...TM lighting doesn't seem to let me control that any better - maybe someone can mess with the SkyBox/Cave.ent "LightVector" line to get the lighting better. I can't seem to get it to look right (in terms that I can't make the corners disappear).

Here is the file: http://members.core.com/~spney/TMMap_Caves_Beta.ZIP
It is 2.4 MBs zipped (6 MBs unzipped).
Its best multiplayer...but will work single player.

Its an underground map (ie the name Cave). Slippery (as a cave should be). Dark (as a cave should be). And has lots of rocks scattered around (I wish I could easily make a some bigger...but I don't want more meshes, and scale doesn't seem to effect the "mesh" class entity).

Away from the center it is very rough too...so be careful. Often some of the most intense battle occur there since no one can easily get out without being killed in the process.

Back to the falling boulders: I know they DO work. But they drop about once every 3 minutes from 3 spawn points. Each point will drop between 0 and 5 boulders (average of 3) before destroying itself.

Each impact of the boulder should create a new spawn point. In a 90 minute game you will have LOTS of boulders falling. They DO bounce when hit (squishy class) - its a little odd...but I felt it was needed so as not to screw with the level playability if they get too dense. If they hit you when they fall, they do a LOT of damage and throw you away, respawn the projectile, and continue to fall
until they hit ground (you will probably die from it...). Each impact creates a batch of flying dust particles that do minor damage if they hit you (perhaps I should add guidance to them).

------------------------------------

--Random Chaos

IP:

JVortex
posted June 29, 2001 12:34 AM            
i havent thouroughly tested yet, but so far caves is way too slick, needs more friction in there. took me way too long to even get to a spawn point let alone frag someone. i also didnt see/ hear any boulders fall. ill keep on testing tho.

IP:

peeeto
posted June 29, 2001 01:24 AM         
ditto, RC. i played it for a few minutes earlier today (oops - yesterday )

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 29, 2001 02:08 PM            
Its not the friction. Friction on that level is VERY close to normal (0.97 where normal is 1.0). But I upped the gravity. Its the gravity thats making it slick...

IP:

JVortex
posted June 30, 2001 12:40 AM            
actually i noticed that once i looked at the file. i couldnt resave the ved tho after altering it... made me sad.. it made a corrupt map. oh well, i reverted it and all is well

overall physics on the cave map are a bit odd, tho i cant really pin it down, ill keep looking

IP:

lordbyron
posted July 01, 2001 01:33 PM            
RC,

I tend to aree w/ JV on the map physics in the cave. Something seems a little off in it which makes play difficult. Also (and it may not be the new maps but I will introduce it as a post-hoc observation) all the maps (and not just the new ones) have a small discoloration in the right lower corner--even after reloading TM.) It's not a big problem, but a problem not evident before the new maps--on my machine anyway.

I do, however, enjoy the two new maps--in CTF w/humans the poison river will be a hoot. And I love the colors in the caves. The lower illumunation makes mod colors seem brighter.

Excellent work. I await final results.

--lb

IP: