|
Author Topic:   Angels, Demons, Gods await beta testing!
lordbyron
posted June 24, 2001 01:17 AM            
Calling all beta testers for my new mythology inspired weapon mods. Here are their names to whet your whistle:

Hellspawn--demons arise from the bowels of hell to strike terror!
Angel Strike--spiritual warriors descend to bless and curse!
Thor's Hammer--Yes, the mystical Mjolnnir, back with storm clouds and lightning aplenty!
Apollo's Bow--with deadly arrows fluttering
Beelzebub's Fury--The Lord of Flies adapts to the missile age.

Come and get them. Fist five takers.

--lb

IP:

Vlad
posted June 24, 2001 01:33 AM            
Well, you replied to my other thread, but I think I'll be "official".

IP:

Karldar
posted June 24, 2001 02:11 AM            
Hook a brother up, lb! I might as well beta test since MP has gotten my panties in a wad .

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

JVortex
posted June 24, 2001 02:32 AM            
ive been waiting for this one, email away!

------------------
pass the salt, its for my pie. give the gryphon some cheese and send him out to sea!

(dont ask, its getting late...)

IP:

lordbyron
posted June 24, 2001 04:07 PM            
To all beta testers,

B/c my 5 mods total about 1.4 M (and my e-mail service doesn't let me ship that much at once) I'm breaking the group into 2 parts. As I built entirely new meshes and sounds for each, this doesn't surprise me.) The first will be the biggest mod--Hellspawn (633K) and then the rest. (Assuming my e-mail service doesn't object.)

Thanks for the patience,
--lb

IP:

lordbyron
posted June 26, 2001 02:47 PM            
Dealing with this mythological mod pack has taught me at least 1 important thing: my meshes are terrible memory hogs. Sorry folks! (I even used a poly reduction prog. to reduce my originals to these!) This was a pain the *** b/c this tended to invert faces on my meshes. So, in order to further reduce my mesh count I'm going back to the drawing board--literally.) I used these meshes b/c it took me months to build them, but sometimes artistic concerns must give way to practicality. (Alas!) I'll make mittens for the hands & feet and completely redesign their wings to flatten them out and use fewer polys...the demon's wings esp. (alas!...my most diff. creations.)
But don't be too downtrodden for me. While this will slow down the release of the mod pack, I take it as my new quest to reduce my poly count by 1/2...well 2/5 anyway.) If I can't, I'll release those mods I can w/ fewer polys...and stock meshes. Thor's hammer was initially a stock MIRV; Apollo's bow will be easy to reduce; and BF's missile easily could be jettisoned for stock parts. The heart of the modpack, however, the angels/demons will require much more work. I have put a premium on artistic innovation here--to the detriment of much else--the fantastic quality of the Summoner easily demonstrates this point. Please keep your comments coming as I have learned much by trying to address the issues presented in them. Thanks,

your favorite mesh hound,
--lb

IP:

JVortex
posted June 26, 2001 04:31 PM            
mesh hound, heh, i like that.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news on that poly count...

looking foreward to the next release tho!

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 26, 2001 04:51 PM         
Chisel is quite good at reducing polys, or so I was told... I'm not sure whether it only accepts VRML input, though - but that's something that should not hamper anyone with a good conversion prog at hand.
http://www.trapezium.com/ChiselPage.htm

IP:

Karldar
posted June 26, 2001 05:22 PM            
It's funny, but I never noticed any real problems with you mods, LB. I'm sure they would lag the hell out of an online match, but my comp seems to do fine(and I thought it was gettin' slow). I do get some slowdown, but that's mostly cuz I've got yours and Vlad's packs goin' at the same time, I think. When ya got demons gliding to earth, angel's flyin' around, a shadow summoner crankin' up, and 250 kamikaze sheep soldiers runnin' around...well, you get the picture-LOL. I'll try to email ya with any nitpicks I have about the weapons themselves(not the models) pretty soon. Cool theme, btw.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Vlad
posted June 26, 2001 05:24 PM            
Hmmm... maybe I should tinker with the lodbias on those sheep....

IP:

lordbyron
posted June 26, 2001 07:56 PM            
Who da man?!

Good news on the mesh front, guys. Initial results show a whopping almost 500% reduction in poly count on my new demon model. I've managed to squeeze a 4600 poly model down to around 1000 polys. Tne hands are mits and the feet boat shoes, but it works. The file size has dropped from ~76K to ~20K. The angel should see a similar reduction as I reuse the body mesh and only add wings to it. With this new turn of events maybe I can also soon release another mod I was saving b/c of its high poly count mesh I made called "Death Train." It's a choo-choo from the great beyond.

thanks for the encouragement,
--lb, the mesh hound--

------------------

IP:

Rex R
posted June 26, 2001 09:57 PM            
and depending on how the texture is mapped you can draw lines on the 'mitts' to suggest fingers/toes

IP:

lordbyron
posted June 28, 2001 01:04 PM            
Guys,

The good news: the mod pack's nearly done. The redesign/poly-reduction went smoothly. I easily reduced everything to no more than 1100 polys--still a lot, but much, much better.
The bad news: Ever use something so long and often that you forget how to classify it when asked? Well, I have done just this with this mod pack--I've gone over and over it until I have no clue of how to weight each weapon. I tested them at 800, so they'd always appear. But in a real game situation HOW SHOULD I WEIGHT THEM? please e-mail/post a response and help a brain-fried modder regain his equilibrium.

And the simple things made hard,
--lb

IP:

JVortex
posted June 29, 2001 12:31 AM            
well im not sure on each one, but i dont think any should be over 80 for the most part. will depend on final revisions.

IP:

oli2808
posted July 04, 2001 04:54 PM            
damn damn damn too late for it - oh well - lordbyron could you let me beta it anyway i MUST see these weapons!

IP:

lordbyron
posted July 04, 2001 05:51 PM            
To all those wanting these mods,

You can get them from Supe's yahoo page @:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/treadmarkmods/files/

enjoy, and let me know what you think or to suggest new mods,

--lb

------------------

IP: