|
Author Topic:   Good beta testers needed for a whole slew of new weapons!
Vlad
posted June 24, 2001 01:10 AM            
By "slew", I mean 8. One of those being my only other released one (the Dark Nova), tweaked a bit to hopefully be more server friendly.

So it's a small slew, so sue me.

I need some people, anywhere from 2-5, to run these through their paces. Please don't bother if you plan on not sending any feedback. Not to sound rude, but that just doesn't help at all. If I get good beta testers, then you'll be able to try them out yourselves sooner or later.

So any people interested just respond to this thread. I'll send you a link to the file as soon as I can (it's a small one, this pack is 99.9% ent files, with one pickup wav).

IP:

lordbyron
posted June 24, 2001 01:19 AM            
Hey Vlad!

You beat me by a few minutes. I'll swap you mod packs. Mine includes 5 new weapons. See above.

--lb

IP:

Vlad
posted June 24, 2001 01:25 AM            
Cool. I'm actually putting it together now... writing up readmes and such. I'll email you in a bit.

IP:

Target!!
posted June 24, 2001 01:50 AM            
Hi Vlad !!

Im game for testing them out. By testing.. Im assuming it's ok to test them in a solo game on my computer w/o Multiplayer Online ?

My pings are usually too high to try em out on a server if you happen to have one in mind.

So im guessing solo playing off=line is what ya mean.

I would be happy to help. And I must admit Im intriqued to see what others have come up with.

Nice gaming on Saturday Afternoon by the way... you are just down-right lethal.

>>Target<<

IP:

Vlad
posted June 24, 2001 02:15 AM            
Yeah, solo's fine. I'm just looking for any glaring balance issues, and comments on the general effects that I've got for these.

I've already run Jvortex through the wringer on the early stages of these, so these are basically final versions that you guys will be working with.

And thanks, Target. To tell you the truth, that game was a bit of a blur. That's the largest game I've played in in TM, ever. Very chaotic. Fun, though.

IP:

Karldar
posted June 24, 2001 02:16 AM            
I'm game, Vlad. Gotta love the Dark Nova...

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Vlad
posted June 24, 2001 02:38 AM            
I forgot to mention it earlier, but it would be MUCH appreciated if anybody who's playing Treadmarks off of a 1.0.1 CD as opposed to a 1.5 CD will help beta. One of the weapons has an odd little... "feature"... that reacts differently on different versions of the game. I've already tested it on two 1.5 versions, and a 1.0 version. I'm looking to see if the 1.0 version is an isolated case.

IP:

Karldar
posted June 24, 2001 02:41 AM            
I still have 1.0.1 installed on my machine if you want me to try it. Don't play it much, of course, but I'll try it out.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Vlad
posted June 24, 2001 03:29 AM            
Ok, it's sent off. Enjoy.

IP:

Karldar
posted June 24, 2001 06:09 PM            
Holy crap! The shadow summoner kicks @$$! First time I tried it nothin' happened-mebbe cuz a bot ran into it upon launch? After that it worked like a charm every time. Way cool, Vlad. I'll email ya detailed info later....

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

TurdHeart
posted June 25, 2001 07:32 PM            
OMG - I've NEVER laughed so hard playing this game! I don't mean to spoil any of the anticipation for these mods, but I gotta show you a few screen shots... http://people.ne.mediaone.net/reavie/treadmarks/your%20brain%20on%20sheep.jpg http://people.ne.mediaone.net/reavie/treadmarks/master%20of%20sheep.jpg http://people.ne.mediaone.net/reavie/treadmarks/death%20by%20sheep.jpg
Or go to http://people.ne.mediaone.net/reavie/treadmarks/treadmarks.htm to see the whole collection.
Of course, I messed with the mod to make it outrageously unfair - wotta riot.

That summoner is really sumthin'.

IP:

Vlad
posted June 25, 2001 09:55 PM            
Glad you like it... what'd you set the MaxSpewCount to anyway, 100?

I've set it to 50 and things got insane....

And I don't mind you posting some pics.... just don't post any of the Summoner.

And speaking of which...

quote:
That summoner is really sumthin'

That seems to be the general consensus so far...

IP:

TurdHeart
posted June 25, 2001 10:41 PM            
200, actually. It's so funny because you can hear the roar and chaos of the sheep a mile away. :P

Maybe something for you mod testers to try - I've been running Vlad's and Lordbyron's new packs separately, and get a slight drop in framerate, which is to be expected (hey, if you want it to look good... ). However, I tried combining the two packs and my framerates went WAY down... like down to one frame every 10 seconds. It didn't happen right away, but eventually.

I have a pretty pumped-up computer, so it kinda surprised me. Anybody else wanna try this? Normally I've had no problem running dozens of mods at a time.

IP:

Karldar
posted June 25, 2001 10:44 PM            
Hmm, I haven't been paying attention to my framerates, but I'm running both sets of mods together and I do get quite a bit of slowdown when things heat up. The summoner would prolly be quite laggerific on a small-med server-esp. combined with the other weaps.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Vlad
posted June 25, 2001 11:20 PM            
Actually, JVortex noticed earlier what the problem probably is... (one of them, at least).

The Demon model in LordByron's pack is over 4000 Polys. The angel one is over 2000. For reference, tanks run around 500.

As far as my mod pack goes, all the stuff used is stock sprites, models, and textures. Even the ship used is a regular TM model, just enlarged and distorted.

The Shadow Summoner, while intricate, probably doesn't have a whole lot more going on at once than the Tornado. Then again, I'm not too familiar with the way the Tornado works.

As far as framerate goes, the only other potential framerate killers are the Minethrower and the Acid Cloud. Both of those leave stuff around for a limited time period.

However, those shouldn't be causing too much of a problem. If there's a specfici weapon that's causing problems, let me know (that's what a beta is for, after all). :-)

IP:

JVortex
posted June 25, 2001 11:45 PM            
ya, all of LB's models have a way high poly count. launching one of the hellspawns is equiv to adding in about 30 extra tanks all at once! even the little missiles have something like 400 pollies each, thats enough for a tank all in itself.

all of Vlads mods are very low on the poly count and are mostly all sprites. even the summoner, which is the most demanding, is very nice to your processor, it may use a lot of spewers, but its almost all sprites and no meshes to contend with.

part of the problem w/ LB's is that, for example, the angles and demons have individual fingers and toes, which arent needed, just increases the poly count. but thats why we beta weapons! some damn fine weapons commin out lately!

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP: