|
Author Topic:   spewer question
Rex R
posted June 19, 2001 07:59 PM            
can you use a spewer ent to call a smokeent directly?

IP:

lordbyron
posted June 19, 2001 09:32 PM            
Rex,

The answer is a definite yes. I just used one to do this today. Here's a sample file:

class = spewer
type = lightning storm

mesh = SphereHigh.lwo
mesh1 = SphereLow.lwo
lodbias = 0.05

texture = sprites/laserball.bmp

width = 2
height = 2

scale = 1.0
collide = 0
mass = 1

blend = add

SpewType0 = smoke/thorsmoke2
SpewType1 = smoke/thorsmoke2
SpewType2 = smoke/thorsmoke2
SpewType3 = smoke/thorsmoke2
SpewType4 = smoke/thorsmoke2
SpewType5 = spewer/lightning storm1

SpewMin = -10, -0, -10
SpewMax = 10, 10, 10

CycleType = 1

SpewTime = .3
RandomTime = .2

iterations = 6
MaxSpewCount = 6

LaunchCoords = 0, 0, 0

RestOnGround = 0

GroundOffset = 0.0

Transitory = 1

PropagateSpew = 1

I called the smoke ent 5 times here. It worked well for me.

--lb

------------------

IP:

Rex R
posted June 19, 2001 10:00 PM            
hmmm iteresting. been trying to debug some of the ng(uk)server pak and have had trials and tribulations with the DasTornado. I turn logging on then run tm then read the file later. well with the tornado I keep getting entity not found msg.s(flarepurple). oh well keep trying I suppose

IP:

swisher
posted June 19, 2001 11:27 PM            
FlarePurple.ent does not exist in the dasTornado mod. It is suppose to, but is not there. ENTegrety says:

SmokeTrailEnt = smoke/FlarePurple
ERROR. Line number 24 (namely, 'SmokeTrailEnt = smoke/FlarePurple') of file "C:\Program Files\Tread Marks 1.5\Addons\entities\projectile\dasTornadoTeleBeam.ent" contains ERROR-0400 -- File "entities\smoke\FlarePurple.ent" referenced in file "C:\Program Files\Tread Marks 1.5\Addons\entities\projectile\dasTornadoTeleBeam.ent" not found. I searched the entire Addons directory ("C:\Program Files\Tread Marks 1.5\Addons\entities\") and Main directory ("C:\Program Files\Tread Marks 1.5Virgin\entities\") including their subdirectories (46 in all), but was unsuccessful in finding file FlarePurple.ent
Rules line: SmokeTrailEnt = EntFileIn: \smoke\, smoke #entity file

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited June 19, 2001).]

IP:

peeeto
posted June 19, 2001 11:40 PM         
good job, Swisher!!!

IP:

JVortex
posted June 20, 2001 01:43 AM            
i hadnt noticed that before... i DO have a flarepurple ent on my comp here. many of targets mods are cross referenced between each other. he thought he had them all seperated, but apparently missed this one. i wont go and look at the moment to see which other mod uses this file (my brain hurts from the evil tired creechies) but ill attempt to look into it more tomorow.

strangely enough however even though i do have the flare purple on here ENTegerity still claims that its not there anywhere. it may be a slight typo spelling difference or something, ill check more later.

IP:

Rex R
posted June 20, 2001 03:21 AM            
found the problem extra white spaces after the ent call and yes I do have flarepurple.ent made it up while debugging the server pak the 1st time it should be in the updated ng(uk) server pack

Swisher does your Ent checker look for white spaces after ent calls etc?

IP:

swisher
posted June 20, 2001 09:19 AM            
Yes. ENTegrety looks for a single space before and after the equal sign. For example,
quote:

NOTE: the * character represents a space in the following examples.
Class*=*Weapon is okay.
Class=*Weapon is not okay (no space after class).
Class*=Weapon is not okay (no space after =).
Class**=* Wepaon is not okay (double space after class).
Class*=**Weapon is not okay (double space after =).

Rex R, give ENTegrety a try. it is free and was written for this very purpose. Download it here:
http://www.users.qwest.net/~llynne1/entegrety/index.htm

If more than one space is allowed between the parameter and the equal sign, then I'll change ENTegrety immediately to allow this. I set the prescedence for ENTegrety using LDA stock weapons and tanks. Not one of them had MORE than one space around an equal (=) sign for parameter/argument separation. If it is allowed, though I'll change it tonight.

Jv, you most likely have an error reported that is preventing ENTegrety from getting to the FlarePurple.ent. The extra whitespace alone will do it. ENTegrety reports that line so-and-so is in error for one reason or another. Always correct the first error reported by ENTegrety and then re-run it.

ENTegrety was written for the modders on this board. I will make it do whatever you guys think it should do. I will make any and all program changes until it is to everyone's satisfaction.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited June 20, 2001).]

IP:

Rex R
posted June 20, 2001 12:31 PM            
I have the program it did not report the fact that _flarepurple_ had a white space(ansi code 32) following the call in fact I believe the program assumed that the name was in fact flarepurple(whitespace) makes it rather hard to find the problem when all it says is I can't find it and you know good and well the bloody ent is there

IP:

swisher
posted June 20, 2001 01:47 PM            
A trailing space shouldn't matter (i.e., after the flarepurple). I'll look into it tonight. Spaces only matter before and after the equal (=) sign.

dasTornado has many lines with more than one space before and/or after the equal sign. Crap, when I ran it through last night, it detected 72 errors.

If TM doesn't care about the extra white space, then I need to change ENTegrety so it doesn't either. Can anyone confirm if EXTRA white space is allowed before and after the equal sign?

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

swisher
posted June 21, 2001 12:37 AM            
Okay. Extensive research indicates that whitespace between the parameter and its argument doesn't matter. Tread Marks does fine with it.

Basically, I tried combinations as follows:

NOTE: The * character represents a space in the following examples.
PickupSound*=*UGotDaNuke - okay
PickupSound**=*UGotDaNuke - okay
PickupSound*=**UGotDaNuke - okay
PickupSound**=**UGotDaNuke - okay
PickupSound=*UGotDaNuke - not okay
PickupSound*=UGotDaNuke - okay (even though no space after = )
*PickupSound*=*UGotDaNuke - okay
**PickupSound**=**UGotDaNuke - okay
PickupSound*=*UGotDaNuke* - NOT okay, the trailing space after the argument is not allowed!

The trailing space issue only exists for entity file reference parameters (PickupSound, SmokeTrailEnt, SmokeEnt, FireSoundEnt, etc.). If you have a trailing space on, say, "mesh = weapons/240mm/240mm.lwo " or "texture = textures/240mm.bmp ", it doesn't matter.

So...

ENTegrety has been updated to allow unlimited whitespace around a parameter, equal sign,and it argument.

The current version of ENTegrety is 1.3

Get the current version here: http://www.users.qwest.net/~llynne1/entegrety/index.htm

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited June 21, 2001).]

IP:

Target!!
posted June 21, 2001 01:14 PM            
Ok. So taking into consideration this new source of discovery as to what TM seems to like and not like...

Is there anything you need cleaned up in the Tornado at this point ?

I sent JV an updated copy with the trailing spaces removed after references to the FlarePurple thing. And I removed references to some useless entities.

I included a text file to show the changes.
If there is anything else anyone would like to see cleaned up.. Just let me know.

Keep in mind.. my weapons were designed well over a year and a half ago. So most of this information coming to light now wasnt even o n my scope way back then. heh heh.

however, I like my machines to be lean and mean.. and Im sure there is more clean up work to do.

Just let me know and I will get on it.

>>Target<<

IP:

swisher
posted June 21, 2001 06:06 PM            
JVortex is more than capable. The version I got was missing many .ent files (including FlarePurple.ent). I'll grab the new one once Jv's done with it.

Yeah -- the trailing space for entity references is weird, but true. I couldn't believe it. I guess Tread Marks takes what you give him, exactly what you give him, constructs the entity file name, in this case, "FlarePurple .ent" (with the space between the "e" and the "."), raising a file not found condition (because your file name is really FlarePurple.ent).

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited June 21, 2001).]

IP: