This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3  |
Author Topic:   Need Help:
peeeto
posted June 14, 2001 07:46 AM         
what about an option to reduce the polycount of the tree markers... would that help?

or even an option to turn off selected types of markers (show/hide trees, powerups, spawnpoints, etc...)

IP:

Vlad
posted June 14, 2001 09:24 AM            
heck, why not make the tree markers sprites?

And I never knew Woodland had a path through it....

It's amazing what you can see about maps when you see em from above.

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 21, 2001 04:37 AM         
just some pix to keep you entertained...

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 21, 2001 06:47 AM         
Development update: I've been busy last week to reduce the prog's memory load - I've been able to push it below 64MB again, at virtually no cost There was a built-in memory leak, after all, but it was not my fault, just a lack of understanding the complex behaviours of java virtual machines. Yup, I'm still writing this thing in java and it works better than I had ever expected.

Current features:

• load and display just about any TM .ved-file-contained heightfield as in a 3D preview window
  • show representations of entities living on those landscapes, with different representations for different entity types
  • show a textual, selectable representation of the same entities
  • generate a pseudo texture for the landscape, using the average color values of the supplied textures as approximations
  • import .bmp files (8bit and 24bit greyscale, uncompressed, MS standard) as alternate heightfields
  • save the previously loaded files as TM-readable .ved files.

Next on my list:

• change the properties of the entities contained in the map files (placement, class, type) via a text interface
  • change the texture generation rules according to TM standards via a similar interface
  • options such as default directories, etc. state stroing .ini file.
  • display and change the name and id properties of the map files

Features to come after the first alpha releases (that means maybe this year...)

• 3D point and click interface for direct manipulations (right now I'm working on the speed of my picking algorithms
  • custom heightfield manipulations - maybe simply a "hill and valley placement system"
  • custom heightfield creation: probably using some fractal algorithms with user-defined fixpoints
  • an easter-egg

In the meantime: keep fragging,guys...

IP:

swisher
posted June 21, 2001 09:16 AM            
WOW! Impressive, Dreamer. Can't wait to use it.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

JVortex
posted June 21, 2001 02:13 PM            
that makes 2. cant wait!

IP:

peeeto
posted June 22, 2001 10:45 AM         
yes - very impressive, Dreamer.

one thing about future features. IMO, one of the most important things that users will need is a feature to automatically make their maps tileable.

any number of stand-alone utilities can auto generate suitable landscapes (Texturizer, anyone? ). users will probably use a paint program to develop a map first. any recently, i've been playing around with using real-world USGS digital terrain data for maps, but what a pain trying to make them tileable!

many paint programs include tile features, but do not offer much control in the way tiling is calculated.

i think that simple tile functions would be relatively easy to implement, and would be incredibly useful!

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 22, 2001 11:13 AM         
peeeto - stop nagging.
as a matter of fact, it's on the list.
semi-automatic tiling might actually be in one of the early alpha versions, but probably without allowing any control.

I have not worked with the Java 2D API yet - and that's some kind of a problem, methinks.
I will look into it, in any case.

If you need a date for the first semi-public alpha: I might have something for you to play with by the end of July...

IP:

peeeto
posted June 22, 2001 12:13 PM         
LOL - ok Dreamer!

BTW, can i maybe help by creating some algorithms?

if so, let me know...

also, i had fun playing the other nite - when you gonna be on again?

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 22, 2001 01:22 PM         
As for real-life landscape heightmaps - they usually look and play boring if to scale, but if you "stretch" them vertically (i.e. use an image manipulation prog to make sure that each and every value between 0 and 255), they can be pretty cool.

Help with algorithms is always welcome, of course, but I won't have much time for that kind of work during the next weeks...

Sorry for dropping from the game so suddenly, but my ISP boots me for staying online too long and won't allow a reconnect for 30 minutes afterwards + it was pretty later over here. Hope to play again soon, hopefully with a proper comp (not that crappy laptop)...

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 22, 2001 04:57 PM         

click the image for a larger version...

Things went well today, or so it seems...

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited June 22, 2001).]

IP:

Vlad
posted June 22, 2001 04:59 PM            
Wow, it's amazing how different the maps look from above.. I never knew that the weapons on The Steppes were THAT sparse...

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 23, 2001 07:51 PM         
This is what makes the difference...

• Entity placement can be changed now
  • Texture generation rules can be changed now
  • you would not believe how long that one took me: the editor window can actually be properly resized now without totally messing itself up...

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 23, 2001 10:35 PM            
First of all, a few notes on map making:

• LDA always sticks the skybox in the upper left (is there method to their madness? - could be order of processing that they want the skybox initiallized first...)
  • All maps should have a least 1 either Team0Checkpoint or StdCheckpoint to prevent the map from crashing with only 1 player (even team maps). Team0Checkpoint is a spawnpoint that NO team player will spawn at (good for weaponpoints without spawning ability). StdCheckpoint team players will start at. Both are marked as 'o' on the radar though. You CAN make a StdCheckpoint NOT spawn a weapon by changing the EntityFlag number from 0 to 1+ (Dreamer - you need this).
  • Trees. Dreamer - you need a way of setting the EntityFlag data on trees. 0-4 control folliage level (0=no folliage, 4=full folliage).
  • Map joining is a pain (as Peeto said) - LDA uses a way of rotating the corners to the center (this works fine for matching corners but not for the center of the sides which still stay side centers). If anyone feels like making a tool that both will take a BMP and rotate the corners to the center (basically a slide and copy proceedure) and allow both verticle and horizontal slides seperately from each other (half distance each) it would be usefull for mapmaking.

Great work dreamer!

------------------
Random Chaos
randomc@treadmarks.cjb.net
Admin for theTerrain Deformation Site
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos and the Mining Guild

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 24, 2001 04:46 AM         
RC - don't worry, the interface is constantly changing and growing - the above screenshot is of the first interface that showed any properties at all - by now you can change all of them - and yes: I am aware of the settings you mentioned.

Question to all: should I leave all entities in one huge list or should I split that list into trees//checkpoints//miscellaneous?

RC can you tell me anything about a "ColorBias" setting in the maps? Guessing from data in my possession, the LightVector is not calculated in the skyboxes, as TM claims, and not from the maps either, although both contain settings for that - can you verify that? Tom?

IP:

JVortex
posted June 24, 2001 05:45 AM            
id say to probably split, but i dont really know not using it. just seems "cleaner" that way tho.

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 24, 2001 07:49 AM         
Hmm... just read that MPZ use VNC...
So there are people who use that prog regularly, after all...
In case anyone of the ppl who regularly post here has it installed and is interested seeing tmapper growing in real-time, icq me for a password and ip and I'll decide whether I trust you that much.

For those who don't know what vnc is or don't know where to obtain a copy :
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc
(it's free)

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 26, 2001 02:05 PM         

first major parts of the point and click interface appear to work properly now...

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited June 26, 2001).]

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 26, 2001 06:44 PM         
Update... If anybody spots me on ICQ and wants to see TMapper, you can ask me for a password and IP and view my desktop in real-time. Tested it tonight with LDA Tom and it works better than I expected.
You need nothing more than a Java-Enabled Web Browser such as IE or NS.

IP:

JVortex
posted June 27, 2001 12:33 AM            
what do u use for the "desktop cam"? i was trying to get something like that to work on my system before (so a friend of mine could see TM in action) but never got it to go propperly.

also any ETA on a beta preview of the map editor?

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 27, 2001 02:37 AM         
What I use? See one of my last posts in this thread.

When I am going to let others play with it?

maybe by mid-august.

IP:

JVortex
posted June 27, 2001 02:44 AM            
oh... duh... i was thinking that was for something else...

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 27, 2001 10:58 AM            
Dreamer: I'm not sure what ColorBias does. IceWorld uses it though.

This is what is defined in the IceWorld map (JimIce.ved):
ColorGain = 0.3, 0.3, 0.3
ColorBias = 0.3, 0.3, 0.3
ColorScale = 1, 1, 1
ColorShift = 0, 0, 0

Not sure what Scale does either...shift changes the envlight color though.

Light vector is defined in the SkyBox entity though (and I have been playing with it on the most recent map so I know it works...though its quite tricky).

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 27, 2001 05:16 PM         
Development update - point and click adding and removing of entities partially imlemented. point and click moving of entities implemented.

Any preferences for Keyboard modifers (ctrl,alt,shift) for 3D interaction?

possible actions:
-move the selected entity to a new location
-clone the selected entity to a new location
-delete entity under cursor

(possibly implemented in the future: map pan/rotate)

Proposed combinations:

-move: shift+click
-clone: alt+shift+click
-delete: ctrl+alt+click (to prevent accidental deletion)

-pan: rightclick(drag)
-rotate: alt+rightclick(drag)

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 28, 2001 03:52 PM            
Dreamer: Map config string info:

EcoCrud = Sets ecocrud for all ecosystems on the level.
EcoCrud# = Sets ecocrud for ecosystem # on the level.

There is no limit to the number of ecosystems that I can see. Most levels have 4 (EcoCrud0-3), but I have levels with up to 6 (ie the Pyramid has 5).

If you take a look at my CTF Poison level, the method of creating damage while in water is as follows:
EcoCrud0 = dust1
EcoCrud1 = dust1
EcoCrud2 = dust1
EcoCrud3 = projectile/poison
EcoCrud4 = dust1
EcoCrud5 = greenpoison2

Note to modders: Crud class entities do not support EntityChain.

Then the Projectile Poison explo, explohit, and entitychain0 all point to crud/greenpoison2 (however for some reason I'm not sure of Explo and Explohit don't seem to call it properly - must be something to do with the Crud class again).

---------------------

Dreamer, you mentioned types of entities in different lists. I'd recommend as follows:
- Trees
- Spewers and Squishies
- Course
- Other

The purpose of this is Trees, Spewers, and Course each have many seperate entities. Meshes only have 1 or 2 (sometimes a few more) and Skyboxes you have only 1 of on the level.

I group Spewer and Squishy together since each has levels where there are a lot of them, but rarely does a level have both.

---------------------------------

Pertaining to entity placement:

TM is very picky about directory path. If you change the dir path to the Map entity (not TM/Entities but the Course portion of it) then the entity won't load on map start. So if people are creating their own entities, this will cause a problem if you have new entities created in one dir and they have it in another. If you use Course/Team1FlagPole.ent and then someone sticks it in the Courses dir, the map won't load that flag . Just a note that you have to deal with when accepting foreign entities Dreamer...

IP:

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3