This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   New Tank For Beta! USS Voyager!
JVortex
posted June 02, 2001 08:24 PM            
yup, thats right, Voyager. and just as a little eyecandy heres a nice pict:

This thing is a whole new step for me in modding. 1st of all it's 1.28 megs. yes megs. so be warned, its a big download. it's also made up of 42 files, including 17 entity files and many custom sound events.

this bad boy has custom almost everything on it. it doesnt even catch fire when its beat up, it vents plasma! when respawning it teleports onto the map. its main cannon is a combination phaser/ photon torpedo launcher, so you can actually attack 2 targets at once. the main gun can even missfire leaving you unarmed for 60 seconds if you arent careful! and so many other little touches.

this is the kind of tank that some people will love and others i believe will hate. i went way "overboard" w/ this one seeing how far i could push TM as far as an entirely new tank design/ style went. and as things turned out what i came up with was a steel tank that behaves like a liquid, sort of. that combined w/ the multiple custom sound events and the tracking of the torpedo will probably make some people hate it, while others will rejoyce at its arival (some of you better at least! ). i tried to get it as well balanced as i could, now i need others thoughts on it.

due to the complexity of this one im probably going to leave it in beta stage for longer than normal, about a week or so. also im not going to go "first 5 takers" either. this one is open to all; i need all the feedback i can get on it, both good and bad. there are just plain a lot of variables w/ this one. i NEED a lot of feedback.

either reply here with an email address or email me and ill send the link to the file since it wont fit in too many peoples mailboxes. thanks all!

p.s.: assuming that people like this style of tank then there are many more in the works as well. Enterprise D, Enterprise E, 3 shuttles, a couple klingon ships and misc others, including a romulan warbird with a functional cloaking device!

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Vlad
posted June 02, 2001 09:02 PM            
Gimme gimme gimme!!! I'll run it through the wringer for ya. Looks great, and it's an awesome idea!

IP:

lordbyron
posted June 02, 2001 10:37 PM            
I'm scared and brmused...i'll bite.

--lb

IP:

Karldar
posted June 02, 2001 11:17 PM            
Hook me up, JV! I haven't had the opportunity to beta stuff lately, but I don't have to be at work until Friday morning this week so I guess I could spend a little time playing with new toys .

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

A2597
posted June 02, 2001 11:28 PM            
that is probably the BEST low poly voyager I've EVERY seen! SHWEET!

------------------
--===BOOM===--

IP:

A2597
posted June 02, 2001 11:30 PM            
I wonder if I can get that going in the 1.5 demo...SEND IT PLEASE!!!

------------------
--===BOOM===--

IP:

KONG
posted June 03, 2001 03:51 AM            
Me 2, Me 2

IP:

JVortex
posted June 03, 2001 04:32 AM            
OK gents. email will be sent shortly. im just finishing up the readme file and getting ready to post it.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 03, 2001 05:39 AM            
hehe, that old thing. I've been beta testing it since early May

Probally need the new version though.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

Rex R
posted June 03, 2001 01:24 PM            
JV it seems tm has a few issues with the one I got. check your e-mail for further details

IP:

peeeto
posted June 03, 2001 08:41 PM         
WOW!

IP:

JVortex
posted June 04, 2001 03:53 AM            
i think tht TM in general just has issues, period . well i have repaired the issues you speak of.

is that a request peeeto or an observation?

keep the feedback commin guys!

IP:

peeeto
posted June 04, 2001 08:01 AM         
i'm interested - i'll have to give you a different email address, though... i'll email it to ya. thanks! looks/sounds awesome!

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 04, 2001 05:29 PM            
Late to the game, but I love Sci-Fi and would love to test this one. Sorry for the late arrival to this test, but I was out of town for a funeral this past weekend and did not see this until today. Shoot me the download address and I will get to work on testing it.

LOOKS greeeeaaaaatttttt!!!!!!!

------------------
Pass the salt - it's time to go to sea.

IP:

JVortex
posted June 04, 2001 06:31 PM            
ok guys ill get that sent off. and peeeto, im not emailing the files, just sending links to them. so im just gonna send to your listed email addres here. and i guess ill let ya slide this one time sailor . being a late arival isnt any big deal, really.

IP:

peeeto
posted June 05, 2001 08:05 AM         
thanks, JV

IP:

JVortex
posted June 06, 2001 02:01 PM            
just a quickie note here. the planned release date for this tank will probably be the 9th or 10th. im moving friday so my comp will be disconnected from its best friend, the net, for a couple days. i should be back up and running sometime this comming weekend.
beta testers get all your comments to me by tomorrow nite please.

IP:

swisher
posted June 06, 2001 11:29 PM            
Wow Jv -- incredible tank. Gorgeous and functional. Excellent sounds and way cool spawn effect! Impressive.

------------------
Swisher
BWL/MG

IP:

JVortex
posted June 07, 2001 01:35 AM            
thank you, thank you *takes a long bow*

need to alter that previous post there, im not moving til next week as it turns out. so expect the tank to be released friday or saturday.

also, to whom it may concern, im forgoing work on the Enterprise E and Delta Flyer for the moment in preference to the Romulan Warbird. i just REALLY want to tinker w/ its cloaking device! so expect that one to be the next release, probbaly followed by the delta flyer and Ent E at more or less the same time.

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 07, 2001 02:51 AM         
JV - that might make for the first real "mod", right?

My name recommendation would be sth. along the lines of

"Star Treads, the undiscovered tanks" or something.

You might even consider new intro screens, fonts, menu texts etc.

IP:

JVortex
posted June 07, 2001 12:35 PM            
Dreamer, shhhhh!!!
hehe
i tlooks like me and Matrix are in a race to see who can get a mod pack out first. chances are he will be the one to do it since his is over 1/2 done and im just starting, but oh well. my original plan was to do a Vigilante 8 mod pack, but that seems to be taking a back seat at the moment.

its a problem to alter the GUI in any way w/ a mod because the GUI and intro screens and help files and so on arent compatable w/ the addon folder like the entity folder is. so the original files have to be replaced. you should see my GUI, its quite cool. once i get going further on this to the point where theres enough ships to be a mod i will then start making themed weapons as well.

im planning on getting together with rex to make a bat swap file for the mod. this way double clicking the bat file could install the mod (which would be stored in a zip file) by removing the stock files which must be altered and storing them and adding in the new files. i dont think LDA would like me replacing one of their intro screens, but im pretty sure i could simply add in an extra intro or 2 .

ill end up having a lot more free time in the near future to develop this.

IP:

peeeto
posted June 08, 2001 09:18 AM         
tested the Voyager for a few minutes & was blown away! what a fun idea & very good work with the .ents!!!

no comments, other than maybe have the torpedoes fire stright from the ship (not with the turret direction), but leave the phasers attached to turret...?

also, make the model "float" by adding a small poly under the tank, then in the LUV mapping, move the poly off of the bitmap area. this will increase the size of the bounding box for the model, and make it appear as if the tank is floating.

very nice work, JV

IP:

JVortex
posted June 08, 2001 12:33 PM            
thanks peeeto, glad you like it.

i tried for quite a while to get the torpedos to simply fire streight out from the hull in whatever direction the nearest bad guy happened to be but couldnt manage it... i at one point did manage to do it, but unfortunately the torpedos were very jerkey and their movement just looked horrid. i finally just said to hell with it and set them as they are now and moved on to other things.

as to adding in a blank raiser polly im not going to do that on this one. Voyager is too complete to try something like that now. raising it off the ground that much farther would alter its center of gravity needing to redo performance settings. it would also effect how much traction the ship gets and would be a headache for me all in all. im tinkering w/ an alternative method however w/ the current tank im on.

thanks!

IP:

JVortex
posted June 10, 2001 12:05 AM            
ok, voyager is released!!!
http://server2049.virtualave.net/jvortex/html/TM/Index.html

head on to my site and check out the tanks page. this thing is cool! thanks to everyone who helped out with this one, a lot!

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

peeeto
posted June 11, 2001 02:01 PM         
you're right that adding a "riser poly" would raise the center of gravity... a very important characteristic for TM tanks.

as for traction: traction is (most likely) based solely on the bounding box that makes up the tank. that being the case, these two shapes would perform the same:

vertices@ (-1,-1,1), (1,-1,1), (1,1,1), (-1,1,1),
(-1,-1,-1), (1,-1,-1), (1,1,-1), (-1,1-1)
(a cube)

and vertices@ (-1,-1,1), (1,-1,1), (1,1,1), (-1,1,1),
(0,0,-1)
(inverted pyramid)

the bounding box for each shape ise the same as the first cube. did that make sense?

BTW, where did you get the mesh for the Voyager? did you do that from scratch?

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2