|
Author Topic:   Maps, maps, and more maps...Beta Testers Needed
Random Chaos
posted May 28, 2001 06:53 PM            
Ok...I'm beginning to roll out maps. What I need are a few beta testers that have V1.59 Full of TM and don't mind testing probably at least 10 maps each. Maybe more. I've got 18 I'm working on as of now. Probably some won't turn out well. Others will be better. And I will come up with some more...so it will probably be 15-20 maps that you will be testing before I'm done.

None are ready for testing now. They will all be 512x512 or 1024x1024 maps - thats what most of LDA's are.

If anyone has any neat Greyscale height maps they want me to look at go ahead and e-mail me them (mcney@megsinet.net) - if they are good bases for a CTF map, I'll make use of them

I've got some that will put the Tron map to shame in terms of navigation - hehe...

Try 'difference' combining 5 different circular gradient paterns - hehe - ribs+tron+several others all in one

------------
I am working on the following:
4 Team CTF (5+ maps)
3 Team CTF (1+ map)
2 Team CTF (1+ maps)
DM (10+ maps)
Team DM (not sure if this will work...but I'm going to try!)

------------
Right now those who will be testing:
- Dreamer
- JVortex

To be added please leave your e-mail below or give me an e-mail (mcney@megsinet.net).

--RC

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited May 28, 2001).]

IP:

KONG
posted May 28, 2001 08:27 PM            
nuff said

IP:

Dreamer
posted May 29, 2001 01:49 AM         
RC - I don't think I can spare the time to thoroughly test anything in the near future.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited May 29, 2001).]

IP:

oli2808
posted May 29, 2001 01:03 PM            
ahhhh **** it, i'm in!

IP:

lordbyron
posted May 29, 2001 01:25 PM            
Count me in, and let'em rip!

--lb

IP:

Random Chaos
posted May 29, 2001 07:47 PM            
Update 1:
I will distribute about 5 at a time. So let me get a few more done before I send out the first testing set...

1 map finished
- Name: DM Pyramid
- Type: Standard Deathmatch
- Base: Mayan Pyramid with side ramps
- Size: 512x512
- Recommended Players: Max of 8, though it can handle more, its is a small map so it will be cramped.

Height Map:

Ingame Shot:

---------

Yes, I am working on a 4 flag version of this - check here:
4 Flag Pyramid

--RC

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited May 29, 2001).]

IP:

Random Chaos
posted May 31, 2001 03:09 AM            
Update 2:
After play-testing the above map in Update 1 I decided it was too small a map. So I redid it on a larger basis...

I now have the following maps ready to be beta'ed. Going to get 2 more done tomorrow then send out a beta package to those that requested it:

Map 1:
- Map Name: DM Mayan
- Map Size: 1024x1024
- Map Type: Standard DM
- Basis: Mayan Pyramid - center 50% of land
- Recommended Players: 2-16
- Notes: Given the weapon points, I think more than 16 players would have a hard time on this map...though it can handle more.

Map 2:
- Map Name: CTF Ring
- Map Type: 4 Team CTF
- Basis: Based on the Red Oval level by LDA, this takes place in a night scene and substantially different than LDA's map in feel.
- Recommended Players: 16-29 with 4 teams
- Notes: Fewer that 16 players would mean 3 or fewer tanks/team. I find CTF needs at least 4 tanks/team. Generally with more than 20 tanks maps become chaotic but due to the maps dynamics this lends itself well to a Defense/Offense pairing off strat so I think it can be played well with 2-3 tanks defense and 4-5 offense (flag capping) split between 2 of the 3 flags as main targets.

Map 3:
- Map Name: CTF Pyramids
- May Type: 4 Player CTF
- Basis: 4 Mayan Pyramids with a flag on each.
- Recommended Players: 16-20
- Notes: This map you tend to get a cramped feeling on if you get too many players. There isn't a lot of open space for them to spread out on...

-----------------------------

Notes on 4 player CTF:
- You are Team C. Wait for Team B carrying Team A's flag to pass near you base (assuming they are going to). Destroy B, grab A's flag, and score . Its a neat way to really screw with people's heads .

I'm going to try and get 2 more done tomorrow: A 2 player CTF and possibly another 4 player one or maybe another DM one. Then I'll distribute the Beta zip file and wait for feedback .

The first zip will contain 5 (maybe 6) maps. All have been play tested with a few tanks at least .

I have had one map fail so far...otherwise I would have had another finished before now...

--RC

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 31, 2001 01:18 PM         
COOOOOOOL idea, RC. I am partial to step pyramids - may have to create an alias of Feathered Serpent to celebrate.

I have an idea for a map but no skill to implment it. How about TM in a city? You can have several low res monuments for buildings and some deformable and climbable dirt builidings. All of the monuments and sharp edges would make it a challenging obstacle course, too. BTW, are race checkpoints monument entities?

Keep up the good work. I will test your maps though it will take me some time....

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 31, 2001 05:51 PM            
i would love to check these out, can you send them to coaxs0@yahoo.com because the other mailbox is full right now. And any special instructions i need to know where to download them too because i always seem to get confused on that.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

Random Chaos
posted May 31, 2001 08:17 PM            
I'll be e-mailing you all where to download them. Its too big to e-mail 6 people a 1.6 MB file through my poor mail server that hiccups on a 100k file .

Here is what they contain:

-----------------
Map 1 - CTFNeyGalaxy2:
- Name: CTF Galaxy
- Size: 1024x1024
- Type: 2 Team CTF
- Recommended Players: 8-16
- Placement: End of CTF list
- Notes: The center pit is hard to get out of. Don't get caught.

Map 2 - CTFNeyPyramids4:
- Name: CTF Pyramids
- Type: 4 Team CTF
- Recommended Players: 16-20
- Notes: This map is based on a Mayan pyramid. The map can get
cramped with too many players.

Map 3 - CTFNeyRing4:
- Name: CTF Ring
- Recommended Players: 16-28
- Notes: Bring night vision gogles . Its a good, open map for
plenty of players.

Map 4 - CTFNeySpiral4:
- Name: CTF Spiral
- Recommended Players: 16-24
- Notes: There is a grove that runs between the upper plateu and
the flags and inner lake zone. Its not that easy to get
over. The only easy passage point is at the flags...but
that one is only one-way. I recommend going after the
flags from below rather then on the plateu.

Map 5 - DMNeyBasin4:
- Name: DM Basin
- Type: 4 Team DM (with team specific spawn points)
- Recommended players: 8-20
- Placement: 2nd map under "DM"
- Notes: Its a good open map for general play...

Map 6 - DMNeyMayan:
- Name: DM Mayan
- Size: 1024x1-1024
- Type: Standard DM
- Recommended Players: 4-12 (teams and no teams)
- Placement: Approximately 50% of the way through DM list.
- Notes: This map seems to me that it will get crowded with large
numbers of players. Based on a Mayan Pyramid.

--Random Chaos

IP:

A2597
posted May 31, 2001 11:02 PM            
I...WANT...THE...FULL....VERSION!!!!!

------------------
--===BOOM===--

IP:

KONG
posted June 01, 2001 12:11 AM            
why not just buy it online? and RC i did download the zip will sheck it out this weekend

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 03, 2001 12:49 PM            
I'm going to be rather busy these next few weeks...so I don't know how much new stuff I will get done .

Any feedback on these maps? If they are all good I'll go ahead and release them. I've had feedback from on a few maps by a few players so far...but what from the rest of you?

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 03, 2001 03:07 PM         
the Mayan pyramid is cool - it is the only one I have been able to play so far. Mving efficiently of the steps takeds a bit of practice, but it is interesting terrain to fight on . I have found no errors in it , either. Good work - I hope to be able to check the others out later this week.

IP:

Karldar
posted June 03, 2001 09:33 PM            
I've finally got some time to beta stuff, RC. Please send me the link when you get a chance.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 09, 2001 10:52 AM            
Ok...I'm going to release these as soon as I get my mod section working. Having a bit of a problem getting my Java Script on my mod pages working right now - it could still be a week or more before I get it all working .

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 15, 2001 02:49 PM            
Update on the Caves map:
- Now a 2.6 MB zip file (6.4 MBs unzipped)
- I have added falling boulders from the sky, these are still being worked on.

It has:
- 1 new map
- 1 new set of 5 skybox frames
- 2 new sounds
- 2 borrowed meshes (thanks to whoever made the ones I borrowed)
- 1 borrowed texture
- About 22 entities - all new including sound, mesh, squishy, projectile, spewer, and explosion.

Now I just have to finish this

-- RC

IP: