|
Author Topic:   Dreamer's Map Maker
peeeto
posted May 14, 2001 04:20 PM         
looks really cool!

can you give us some idea of what it will be capable of, Dreamer?

one thing that seems to be very hard to do is to quickly and simply create a tileable map. is there any chance you could incorporate a tiling function into the map editor? i may be able to design the algorithms if you want...

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted May 14, 2001 04:32 PM            
err... I'm not sure yet... I'm currently simply pretty proud that TM finally agrees to load my maps. I have not left the command line stage.
This means I am open to suggestions.

IP:

JVortex
posted May 14, 2001 05:06 PM            
well i have a thought... since the map starts out as a large bitmap what about making the map a little oversized to start and then using a tiling filter (tesselator or tesselation i think is one?) to trim it down to the propper size and tile it? your edges wouldnt be 100% perfectly the way you might want them, but i think that would work ok.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted May 14, 2001 05:33 PM            
I'll look into that. I've already got at least two very promising terrain generation algorithms over here, so there might even be random maps at some point, if there's enough interest.
Additionally I'm currently toying around with java3D - that might make for a live preview, maybe even (but don't take this as a promise of any kind) 3D editing. In that case, I might even a force dispersion grid algorithm that would allow terraforming by dragging the mouse. I will in any case try how(if at all) that works. I'm no artist, so I might be unable to use such a tool to its full extent, thus needing alpha- and beta-testers. Later. I don't like to work under pressure and there's a life to be lived out here in RL, as my gf reminds me each and everyday. (I wish she'd just stop doing that and leave me in here )

IP:

peeeto
posted May 14, 2001 09:55 PM         
(no pressure, OK, Dreamer what you're working on right now is so very important to this community) but i'd like to see the ability to use an oversized bitmap (like you describe, JV) and/or a smaller bitmap (so that an interpolation algorithm can smoothly fill in the missing data).

!!! here's the reason for my enthusiasm:
you can download USGS Digital Elevation Models (DEMs) of almost the entire USA. the DEMs have "real-world" elevation data based on either 10-meter or 30-meter spacing.

there are numerous freeware programs to view the DEMs (the best is "MicroDEM"). you can select an area that you're interested in, and save a bitmap that represents the landscape.

after exporting a portion of a map, i'd like some way to easily, quickly tile it up for a TM map. i can think of some simple math algoriths to interpolate and tile, and i'm sure that someone WAY smarter than me has published much info on methods for this type of thing.

i was just thinking that this would be a neat addition to a map editor, so i suggest it to Dreamer.

but, a stand-alone program would be really neat, too!

<inspired, peeeto drags out his second-hand book "Learn C++ in 21 Days"> let's see if he understands this stuff the 3rd time around!

<EDIT - typo's>

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited May 14, 2001).]

IP:

JVortex
posted May 15, 2001 01:00 AM            
hey i just remembered something that may or may not be helpful... there is a program that had something to do with Cult3D that would take and bmp or jpg u fed into it and it would create a 3D landscape map (full color rainbow type) out of it. i think it was java based online. it was also capable of spitting out a flat bmp of the image in topographical color. my BZ flag looked cool loaded into that thing!

i know its not a lot of help but maybe someone can find it and make it work. it may be just the right thing, sorry i cant be more accurate.

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted May 15, 2001 10:19 AM            
hmmm... what for?

IP:

peeeto
posted May 15, 2001 12:16 PM         
as a quick & dirty 3D viewer, i suppose...

i believe that Blender can render heightfields, too.

<EDIT> of course there's POV-Ray as well, but only for still images

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited May 15, 2001).]

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted May 15, 2001 02:31 PM            
right now, my prog has two output options: vrml and .ved - next will be J3D and that looks like it's closer to VRML than anything else...

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted May 16, 2001 01:04 PM            
[edit]ok, no more pics from my site for now...[/edit]

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (BWL/MG) (edited May 16, 2001).]

IP:

JVortex
posted May 16, 2001 05:49 PM            
i was suggesting that site because it wouldnt so much act as a viewer, but it would work nicely as a way to take any picture and turn it into a map. it created the height (and thus the topographical colors) from the existing colors in the picture. (and yes there are configurable options to alter the height threshold). it then displays a 3D version of that topographical data. then if you like you can have it create a flat bmp image of the colored topographical data (thus turning your original picture into a rainbow picture). then convert that color rainbow picture to greyscale and you have a TM map.

for example on the BZ flag that i made it would create a "map" where at the "top" it would be fairly flat land with the letters being ramps up to cliff faces at the bottom of the letters (rather like the clifs on the ramp). then surrounding the letters within the outter ring would be a large crescent shaped valley.

i know what im trying to say but im having a time explaining it. ill attach a pict of the BZ flag here for reference, maybe that would help.

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted May 16, 2001 06:27 PM            
That's what my prog does, m8. I take only greyscale input, but that should not be the problem, since almost every pic will have to be edited in a seperate app, anyway. But basically, that's one main task of my prog.

IP: