|
Author Topic:   About some of the II, II mods
The Weatherman
posted April 28, 2001 08:31 PM         
After looking at some of the II, III mods it seems that the creator (RC?) was trying to power down the liquid tanks. Am I wrong in thinking the benifits of liquids are size and accel/speed and the costs are armor and flip-resistance. If so, applying the KISS principle, maybe we can lose any of the modded regular tanks where the only differnce is a performance hit (new colors/textures are cool, though). Any comments- i.e. in defense of the modded liquids?

Also, and idea for the modder corp out there:
How about an A-Team van (Okay, pretty blatant take off of JV's Tanker). Sounds could be:
The A team theme
"I pity tha fool"
"I love it when a plan comes together"
lots of Vroom Vroom noises.

Weapon can be a ram w/ lots of ammo but about 1/4 the power of the drill and little reach - no main gun.

Moderate armor, good accel and top speed

Watdya think?

IP:

JVortex
posted April 29, 2001 01:06 AM            
as to the liquid tanks youre referring to first, yse they were made by RC and i never looked them over before posting. i just wanted to have a server out there where anybody could use ANY tank. i never even looked them over at all (obviously from the errors i let slip by).

soon im going to go thru all the tank files and make a tank comparison chart. partly just so i have something to aim at when making new tanks and also because i think people would like to see a numerical reference of their fav tank compared to something else. problem is that i dont play very many different tanks and almost never play the liquid types so i dont have much to base maneuverability or handling on.

im affraid that theres going to soon be a flood of new tanks comming out with the 2 new helper programs now available! lol. as things stand now one can port in almost any model you want to. ive thought about the general lee for quite a while now, i could probably do it in about an hour (including bo and luke driving it!). myself i dont want to go too far outside the theme of the rest of the game. i stretched that pretty far with the tanker.

what would be cool however is an entire mod pack of cars and trucks like that tho! ive been thinking about it for a while. had the idea a while back to do a mod pack of nothing but vehicles and weapons from Vigalante 8 2nd offense. would be a real pain tho. sometime in the near future i think there will be a whole bunch of new vehicles commin out.

im still waiting for a map editor so i can start making roads...

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Rex R
posted April 29, 2001 01:32 AM            
A-Team lol. well I know where to find a 'chevy' van mesh the only real problems with trucks and vans is they tend to be a tad tall(what with the turret) another problem area is the number of 'faces' that a given mesh has. a number of ready made stuff has 'too many poly's' (especially anything from 3-d cafe) probably the practical limit for a textured tank should be a thousand faces. with 500-600 should be the goal(this includes tank body, turret, and the gun) you can prolly double those numbers for a tank that is not texture mapped(liquid metal). there are plug-ins availible for 3ds max and LW that can do polly reduction

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 29, 2001 03:49 AM         
JV - A map editor is still far away, I'm afraid, but I'm currently looking into the possibilities of Java and ActiveX programming in order to merge the interaction capabilities of VRML and the file handling of Java. If what I have in mind is possible the way I have it in mind, a map editor might be there before you figure out what I mean when I say fuup.
The problem with that is that there's slightly more to do for university than last semester plus I'm learning (quite successfully) LaTeX right now, plus I'm still working on a new visual concept and database system for TMVR (looks pretty good by now, even though there's hardly anything to be seen yet), plus the guys sound like they want to take roleplaying back to a regular (weekly!) basis plus my gf keeps complaining I don't have enough time for her.

IP:

JVortex
posted April 29, 2001 12:17 PM            
heh, sounds buisy. so i think what youre after is an ActiveX environment map editor? heh, i hope its not browser based, my browser is an unstable piece of crap! and i think im going to look a bit more into the V82 idea. who knows, in about 3 months there may be a new mod pack out that is a real mod pack.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted April 29, 2001 04:11 PM         
Hey - the car pack does sound pretty cool. I agree that it might be good to keep most TM servers all tanks-like, but it would be fun to have a car pack for race games.
I have no handle on any of the 3d modeling schtuff, but I am glad there are modders out there who do.

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 29, 2001 06:18 PM         
JV-> Busy? If you wish to call that busy, then so be it...
I think there might be some more news from me before next weekend...
All-> I need a mod. Yes, that's right, one (1) mod. Sent via eMail, zipped, with description and (preferably) some screenshots of the mod in action. Don't ask why, just send it along. Preferably something with a model that didn't come with TM. addy is dreamer@tmvr.de

IP:

Rex R
posted April 29, 2001 08:25 PM            
do I understand correctly that you are looking for something other than a tank?

IP:

JVortex
posted April 30, 2001 12:41 AM            
ok, ill ship one off to ya. i think i might know y u want it, but knowing me im probably wrong...

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 30, 2001 01:05 AM         
Tank or no tank - doesn't matter at all. Thx, JV (and Rex)

IP: