|
Author Topic:   "Classic" weapon mods
Karldar
posted April 21, 2001 07:16 PM            
Thought I'd go ahead and post this here, as well, since my server topic's gettin' a bit long.

I'm thinking of taking the guidance off of some weapons to make play more like 1.0.1. Friction would remain the same, however. I know some people have expressed an interest in this before(Peeeto and Vlad come to mind). Specifically, guidance would be removed from the concussion rockets, swarmers, dirtball, avenger, plasma cannon, 120, plasma mines, and MG. I think that's it. I could also only remove guidance from requested weapons, I guess. Of course, I'm not going to do it if nobody wants me to, but I think it'd be cool to get some old-timey aimin' back in the game. Also, I've already edited the files and am keeping them on standby for now. I've played some SP with them and it's almost like bein' back in ver 1.0.1 . Lemme know whatcha think.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Vlad
posted April 21, 2001 08:26 PM            
It's great to see, but until I get my turret look/mouselook/Funky Camera config back, I'm going to stick with 1.0.1 Full :-)

IP:

JVortex
posted April 21, 2001 09:33 PM            
i think i sort of agree with Vlad. if there was a way to get something resembling the old camera controls again id be all for no guidance.

(and NO im not trying to turn this into another one of those threads)

IMHO i think the weapons guidance should maybe be lowered to a maximum guidance of something a little worse than the 120 mm. that way there would still be a little guidance for those of us who dont want to fiddle w/ our view settings.

just my .02

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Karldar
posted April 22, 2001 12:19 AM            
Okay, this is prolly gonna sound dumb, JV-but what does your view have to do with guidance? Aside from the obvious preference of seeing your target, that is. If I can't see my target(due to terrain or a bad camera angle) I either a)run like hell, or b)fire anyway. Not tryin' to be a smartass, you just confused me a little.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

The Weatherman
posted April 22, 2001 01:51 AM         
Oh no! You started that thread again - your gonna get the old timers all riled up!!!!

Hey Karldar - just mod the weapons to your liking - if anyone doesn't like it you hear the B and M soon enough Seriously - it is cool you take into account everbodys imput.

Would you like some spam with that?

------------------
The Treadmonkey formerly known as johnsan

IP:

Karldar
posted April 22, 2001 02:25 PM            
Well, I've gone ahead and implemented the weapon changes on my server. Your aim had best be true .

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

JVortex
posted April 22, 2001 02:40 PM            
heh, i didnt think i was too clear on that. i meant that with the way i personally prefer my view to be at i dont always get a clear view of what im shootin at was all. so i rely on a little bit of guidance just out of habbit.

its REALLY no big deal tho, like i said its just habbit with me. no problems with getting used to a new style of play i think tho.

sorry for the unclearness of that (and no more of THAT thread here )

IP:

peeeto
posted April 22, 2001 05:35 PM         
Karldar - i'd like to raise a concern i have with just using the same old .ent files with the same filename copied to the Addons folder.

please note that i haven't logged in to your server to see how they act yet

if the filenames are the same as the 1.59 .ent files, i don't think that the clients will try to synch the "new" entities.
that's OK, as the weapons will act as the server dictates.
however, i think that players will see the weapons acting like their .ent files "tell" the weapons to act.
in other words, they will see the projectiles curve as if they had guidance, but the crater will appear where it should without guidance.

i have seen this effect when i played the demo server from version 1.5

if this is happening on your server now, the solution would be to re-name all the "Classic TM" .ent files on your server differently. i suggest something like "Classic-TankGun1.ent" and so on...

that way, the clients will synch all the .ent files and they will appear to act as they should on the client's screens.

you could also make the renamed .ent files available for download, so people can install them and their PC's won't have to synch them.

hope this helps...

IP:

Karldar
posted April 22, 2001 08:28 PM            
Thanks for the tips, peeeto. I chatted with Sailor earlier while he was on my server and everything's behaving as it should. Weapons are hitting where they look like they're hitting and no guidance is evident. I'd appreciate if you'd try it out when you get a chance, peeeto. Always good to get input from the one who inspired me to make the mods in the first place .

JV, thanks for the clarification. I'm easily confused when I eat too much chocolate .
------------------
I like pie...
but I hate mites!

[This message has been edited by Karldar (edited April 22, 2001).]

IP:

Rex R
posted April 23, 2001 02:59 AM            
to much chocoocolate is there such a thing anywho just tried out the server seems to work fine. and since I did as well as I normally do, I must conclude that A) I'm much better than I used to be(poss) B) at my normal firing range guidence is not a big factor(IIRC the much vaunted guidence on the 120 doesn't even begin til the shell is about 12 meters out) or C) both of the above

IP:

Random Chaos
posted April 24, 2001 02:54 PM            
A: I like the idea of removing guidance for a mod.
B: I think the Plasma Mines should keep their limited guidance. In their 1.0 version its rather...unable to kill anything other than a dumb bot .
C: I like the lower friction. There is nothing like spinning a tank instead of moving the turret. I have never gotten good at moving the turret since I never needed to in 1.0 .

--RC

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 24, 2001 04:13 PM            
one time on a 1.5.9 server, a new game started and i landed to the left of a weapon and a bot landed to the right of the weapon. I was scared the bot was going to get to it first, so i figured if i could hit the bot with my 120mm gun it would give me enough time to get to the weapon first.

Since the cooldown was still ticking off 5...4...3.. I pressed the arrow key to sweivel my tank at the bot, and I also pressed the key to turn my turret at the bot.

When i did this, I turned so fast and my turret went so quicly towards the right, it got me off guard. I was so use to the 1.0 servers friction where it took forever to get things to turn the right way. Anyways, I did manage to get a shot off that was lucky it hit the bot but damn it all happened in less then a fraction of a second to be in position for that shot rather then the 1.5 seconds it would of taken to be on the 1.0 servers.

One good thing about the 1.5 servers is that gameplay is a lot faster.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

The Weatherman
posted April 24, 2001 04:30 PM         
I like the server setup, Karldar. No real problem hitting targets - it is hard to miss when your turret is inside the other tank
I totally dig low friction too - powerslides rule!

IP:

Vlad
posted April 24, 2001 05:15 PM            
quote:
B: I think the Plasma Mines should keep their limited guidance. In their 1.0 version its rather...unable to kill anything other than a dumb bot

I've actually seen some good uses for them every so often in the 1.0 servers. One time, someone had actually found the mines and a bunch of gold ammo boxes, and proceeded to layer the bottom of a nuke crater with them. Thing is, this was on The Ramp, and the crater was on the way to the main ramp, so it was a VERY well traveled area. You couldn't see the mines until you were flying into the crater, and by then, it was too late.

It's also possible to lay a group of them down in a line in an area you think you're about to have a 120 duel with somone in, then try to push them into the mines.. I've pulled that off enough times to mention it :-)

IP: