|
Author Topic:   How To Disable A Weapon???
JVortex
posted April 15, 2001 07:29 PM            
heres a question. i know that the addon folder is esentially the "master" folder and that anything in there will override anything in the other folders. so adding in a weapon is fairly simple. but how do you disable a weapon thru the addon folder w/ out deleting files from the main directory?

for example, i would like to get rid of the plasma cannon. is there a way to do this thru the addon directory? if i just delete the plasma cannons weapon ent file would the servers in multi player still synch that for me? or would they not bother to synch that since its a "standard" weapon. i also would like to pull out a couple of the stock tanks.

im sure i could have explained that a bit better, but im none too good at explaining what im trying to do. hopefully someone will know what im getting at.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! (Under Heavy Construction) Beware of the non-Tread Marks areas, they have pop up adds, AAHHHH!!!!!

IP:

kv
posted April 15, 2001 09:02 PM            
just delete the ent from the stock folders. I think I modified one of the stock weapons and the game auto synched the correct server version back into the game during multiplay.

IP:

JL
posted April 15, 2001 09:13 PM            
Go to the Tread Marks 1.5\Entities\Weapon folder. find the weapons .ent file you want to disable. Open it up in notepad. Find the parameter "weight = (some number here)". Change the number after the = sign to zero.
You might have to open the ent file to find the name of the weapon depending on what the Modder named the file. Look for the parameter "name = (name of weapon)" to see what weapon it is.
There are other ways to disable a weapon. you can change the extension to .txt instead of .ent or comment out the "class" or "type" in the file with # before the parameter. You can also just move the weapon's ent file into a folder thats not in the TM directory.

The best way is set the wieght to zero and save the file to the AddOns\Entities\Weapons folder. That way it overrides the origanal file without altering it.

[This message has been edited by JL (edited April 15, 2001).]

IP:

JVortex
posted April 15, 2001 09:23 PM            
DOH! of course... i have no clue y i didnt think to just change the weight to zero or comment out the type parameter. stupidity has befallen me . thanks and everyone just pretend that i never created this post!

IP:

Rex R
posted April 16, 2001 01:20 AM            
you can 'disable' tanks by commenting out the tank name

IP:

kv
posted April 19, 2001 07:45 PM            
wha????

weight isnt a reference to the weapons actual weight?

been trying to make a weapon I am making appear more, figured it was totally random with probability of appearance determined the exe.

higher means more? 0=no weapon?

IP:

JVortex
posted April 19, 2001 07:54 PM            
weight is a reference to how heavily the chance weighs of that weapon appearing at a spawn point. notice how nukes dont come up as often as machine guns?

average normal weapon weight is 100, which doesnt really mean 100%, its just a number for the most part. but 100 makes it a common weapon, anything over 100 makes it more common. 300 is a good weight for when youre testing and creating a weapon since it will pop up a lot more often.
if its a powerful weapon that shouldnt appear as often setting the weight to like 30 to 70 is good. i dont recall what nukes are, but i think they are around 20 or 25 or so.

hope that helps out!

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

[This message has been edited by JVortex (edited April 19, 2001).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 20, 2001 01:35 AM            
hehe weight, even i knew that.

::Pokes fun at JV, since he made fun of the #hits to my site::

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

JVortex
posted April 20, 2001 12:10 PM            
you @$$, i did no such thing. you just take my complaints too personaly, lol.

IP: