|
Author Topic:   Fire Delay?
A2597
posted March 21, 2001 10:16 AM            
is there any way to make a fire delay? I want it so that you press fire, you hear the weapon charge, then a beam shoots for about three seconds...

------------------
--===BOOM===--

IP:

JVortex
posted March 21, 2001 04:18 PM            
i dont think i completely understand the question. you can adjust the firing rate of any weapon by raising or lowering the ReloadTime parameter in the main weapon ent file. are u wanting to make a weapon that does something like:
1) you shoot it
2) it makes cool sound while warming up
3) it glows and projects a targeting beam
4) its now ready to fire again
something like that could be done but it would have to be done thru the use of chains i believe.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! (Under Heavy Construction)

IP:

A2597
posted March 21, 2001 11:00 PM            
OK, the ideal thing I want.

You grab the weapon, I'll call it a Mass Partical Beam...

You press fire, and a partical effect starts, making it look like the weapon is collecting energy, a whine starts, and then the beam fires for a full three-five seconds, the weapon then is recharging for 60 seconds.

------------------
--===BOOM===--

IP:

JVortex
posted March 21, 2001 11:58 PM            
well lets see....
in general you would have to set your projectile file to chain.

the sound part is really no big deal, you would use a normal basic sound configuration. you would just have to mess with the sound itself to make sure that it was the propper length to go with the visual effects after the visuals are completed. that would make for a large sound tho. i dont know if you canb chain sounds or not. maybe have the charging sound small and set to loop and the firing sound set within another chain?

man, im not really sure on the rest. ive been sitting here thinking for like 15 minutes shooting down various ideas. im getting better with ent files but when it comes to chaning and spewing and where and how to do each im not so hot. i pretty much have it down on chaning explosions, but im not too sure on chaining the projectiles. here is what little help i can offer:

gathering effect:
probably design new sprites to represent the diminishing ring as it sucks things into the weapon. and then chain those effects in order of farthest from weapon to closest to weapon (as in diameter of the sprite) you could probably use one sprite with like 5 or so ent files each setting the same sprite to a smaller dimension. a short timetolive should make that look pretty cool. i cant think of how to use a single sprite coming from different directions heading twards the same central point. too much offsetting and gravity manipulation there for me.

the thing im really not sure on is how to make the actual beam firing delay long enough. maybe throwing enough "blank" chain effects in there would do it. i dont recall if one chain waits for the previous chain to complete before the next one starts or if there is just a small delay for one chain to start then the next starts regardless of if the previous one has completed or not.

in case you dont know the chain lines look something like this: (exerp from a lobber file, this is the explosphere)
EntityChain0 = explo/lobberhit
EntityChain1 = explo/Mass h i t*
EntityChain2 = Explo/SmokeBig
EntityChain3 = explo/Streamer1
EntityChain4 = explo/Streamer1
*sorry about the spacing up there, the board censored the "profanity" on me.

as an alternative you could set the projectile size to 0.01 x 0.01 with a time to live of 0.0 and then work all effects from your explo and explosphere files. but i think that might not work as the entire effect would be left behind the tank if it was moving...

dont know if that was really any help or not, i think im just wasting space here .

yet another long pointless post by JVortex...
(maybe ill just add that into my signature line)

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! (Under Heavy Construction)

[This message has been edited by JVortex (edited March 22, 2001).]

IP:

Rex R
posted March 22, 2001 02:10 AM            
for an example of what he's trying to do; doom (&quake2) both have weapons like this called BFG9000 & BFG10K respectively. it goes like this you pull the trigger what you get is a sound and the end of weap starts to glow about 2 sec.s later a glowing ball of plasma(projectile) emerges and heads off down range(come to think of it quake had a weap mod that opperated in a similar fashion)

IP:

JVortex
posted March 22, 2001 02:20 AM            
right, i understand what hes trying to do (i think i do anyhow) i just cant think how to do it.

IP:

JL
posted March 22, 2001 07:34 AM            
It can't really be done. Even if you could get all the events you want in order and working, once you fire the weapon it won't move with the tank. Once your tank moves the effects will remain at the spot you fired from. I don't think there is a way, to make a weapons projectile move with the tank.
You can make effects with delays but it will only work with a mine type projctile. Check out the shadow mine it fires for 30 seconds with delay before each launch.

IP: