|
Author Topic:   TM information
coax
Administrator
posted March 15, 2001 08:06 PM            
When playing a TM game i know of course data is being transferred from my computer to the servers and vice-versa but exactly where is it putting it. Is it filling my hard-drive? Or just imuting values. Anyone know?

IP:

Kaeto
posted March 15, 2001 09:17 PM            
That stuff's all dynamic, it's not saved at all.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 17, 2001 04:17 PM            
what is meant by dynamic?

------------------
TM Bios

[This message has been edited by coax (edited March 19, 2001).]

IP:

Vlad
posted March 19, 2001 10:45 AM            
Are you referring to auto-downloaded ent files from when you join a server, or the information that just gets passed back and forth through the course of playing?

If it's the former, they're probably dumped into a temporary directory in your TM directory.

If it's the latter, then it's exactly as Kaeto said. It's dynamic. Think of it this way.. The server is sending you information along the lines of "there's a tank at these coordinates. It has a nuke. It's firing the nuke. You were hit by the nuke." Upon which you'd be dead :-)

The thing is, the server's constantly sending you updates. Multiple times per second, the server sends out information about where the tanks are, what spawned where, and so forth.

None of this gets stored on your hard drive. At the very most, the current data is, but that's so small, it doesn't matter. The game wouldn't need all the information that the server sent out stored locally. Treadmarks doesn't need to know where the tanks were five minutes ago in order to function correctly. It just needs to know what is going on currently.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 19, 2001 12:12 PM            
thanx Vlad you cleared it up for me.

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

Vlad
posted March 19, 2001 03:24 PM            
Just to make a slight correction...

It's safe to say that none of the server updates (aside from the initial mod download, if applicable) that you're sent are stored on the hard drive. That would just be too slow to write to constantly. Your hard drive would constantly be writing the new data from the server, causing a mess of defragmentation (write, delete, write, delete, write, delete), and slow everything down.

IP:

Skandranon
posted March 24, 2001 12:53 AM            
I think what Coax was getting at was this - when you get the updated .ent files from the server, those files go... where?
My guess would be that they get written to a temporary file and are used instead of your local .ent files, so everyone on the server's consistant. When you quit, the data's cleared.

IP:

Kaeto
posted March 24, 2001 10:20 AM            
Naw, that's almost certainly dynamic too. That's just C++ class information...

IP: