|
Author Topic:   idle thought/question
Rex R
posted March 03, 2001 05:19 AM            
is it possible to be able to shoot down nukes/cruise?

IP:

JL
posted March 03, 2001 08:39 AM            
I'be been working on that with Dudeymas. Basically we were trying to make a weapon fire a bunch of small plasma shields that the missile would collide with.
The odd thing is it wouldn't fire in some directions.(ne, nw, se and sw.) I haven't totally given up on it I've just been super busy at work.
I still think its possible to send up some kind of chaff that would have a good percentage of the nuke hitting it, before you.

What I really need is someone to make me a small sphere. I can't find a compatable mesh thats small enough for chaff. Right now after a lot of trial and error I found two meshes that will work with the plasma shield or as a shield type entity period. Both are to big.
Another way might be to make a large explosphere big enough to keep the splash damage from hitting you. But I haven't tried that yet.
But there is no way to make a guided antimissile weapon right now that I know of.

[This message has been edited by JL (edited March 03, 2001).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted March 03, 2001 09:47 AM            
I've had some ideas in regard to sheilds, but I haven't implemented them yet. If it works out, it will be VERY cool...

IP:

Rex R
posted March 03, 2001 12:56 PM            
small sphere/ 20 sider I can do. how small/big do you want(compareed to something in the game) 1m 2m .5m. mapped/unmapped?

IP:

peeeto
posted March 03, 2001 02:50 PM         
i know that you can scale the tanks meshes in the RaceTank .ent files... can't you scale Projectile meshes also?

IP:

Rex R
posted March 03, 2001 02:58 PM            
meshes yes excellent examples are on ft & cd server and IIRC the oz server too

IP:

JVortex
posted March 03, 2001 03:18 PM            
well here is an idea for that. couldnt you use a variant on the mosquito cage (more or less) that was unguided?
-replace the mosquitos with 8-siders or even cubes on end (less pollies to deal with that way)?
-set them to rotate quickly for visual effect.
-set the spiral variance to a fairly high number so they loop about. and/ or use LaunchSpread.
-double or so the number of projectiles.
-set the mosquitos mesh collide to 1.
-add in a smoke entity for extra "shielding" assuming that smoke ent's can use collide (do smoke entities support the collide tag? i never tried that.). if they cant use collide then leave them out or tone them down.

the explosphere wouldnt actually have to be a "sphere" would it? i mean when the missile blows up against your projectiles the idea is to avoid splash damage right? so the explosphere would have to have the collide set to 1.

but a large enough sphere to protect you would also have a good chance of expanding in your face and sending you flying (i think). could the explo"sphere" instead be a large flat transparent square for a mesh? say like 100m x 100m x really damn thin? the flat plane would have to be set with a very short lifespan to avoid it getting in the way durring game play, so things like fire streams and pop overs could still get you, but thats fine, cant make the "perfect" defence after all.

i think if using whitish sprites the overall effect would be some sort of a hailstorm/ snowstorm/ blizzard weapon. "AI-Booger junked you with Old Man Winter" or something if used offensivly. just a few thoughts. i may have to try my own hand at something like this once my current projects are completed.

it would be nice to have a real anti-nuke weapon added to the arsenal. but you know there is one already... the POGO! and i even managed to successfully use it to avoid a nuke once. that was fun, and what a view...

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Site is down at the moment... :(

IP:

JL
posted March 03, 2001 09:15 PM            
The collide command isn't what actually make the shield work. Its the explosphere ent with the mass parameter set to anything but zero (100 is good). I don't know of any other ent type that would cause a nuke to detonate. The mass command doesn't affect projectiles that I know of but if anyone has been able to make a projectile detonate another projectile (without using an explosphere)please post.
I have use all meshes and they do work but for some reason when you resize the mesh the area of affect stays the same. Usually much smaller than the mesh or just the center of the mesh.

IP:

JVortex
posted March 03, 2001 10:08 PM            
Well damn, it sounded like a good idea. ust go and burst my bubble now

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Site is down at the moment... :(

IP:

Rex R
posted March 04, 2001 01:43 AM            
well I know that a nuke colliding with a sheep will detonate(the nuke not the sheep)

IP:

JL
posted March 04, 2001 11:10 AM            
Hmmm... Flying sheep chasing nukes.

IP: