|
Author Topic:   Can you make mods with the demo?
Retro
posted March 01, 2001 07:49 PM         
I don't have the full version yet and I wanted to know if I can try and make mods with the demo so I can see just what you can do with it.

So can you?

Retro

IP:

Kaeto
posted March 01, 2001 09:53 PM            
To an extent. You can modify stuff, but you can't make new tanks. Just mess around with the stuff in the entities folder (make a backup OUTSIDE OF YOUR TM FOLDER first. It _CANNOT_ be in your TM folder, or TM will get confused)

IP:

Retro
posted March 01, 2001 10:46 PM         
how do you do it?

For example, how do you give it greater gravity. I don't like how they catch so much air.

Retro

IP:

Kaeto
posted March 01, 2001 11:18 PM            
Try editing entities/tankgod/sabot.ent

It's a text file. Try fooling around with all of them, if you don't like the result, you can always copy the old ones back...

IP:

Retro
posted March 02, 2001 12:10 AM         
thanks. I Like it better now.

Is there something I could read that would explain what all the entity things do and how to mess with them?

IP:

peeeto
posted March 02, 2001 09:16 AM         
i have an alphabetized list of all of the entity commands used in the current full version 1.5.9, with some descriptions.

if you'd like, i can email it to you (just email me & i'll reply)...

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 02, 2001 10:40 AM            
Peeto - refering to that file. Lets see if we can get it fully described so I can upload a finished copy to my website in the near future.

------------------
Random Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com
Admin for theTerrain Deformation Site, Terrain Deformation Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos and the Mining Guild

IP:

peeeto
posted March 02, 2001 11:28 AM         
i agree, RC. i've been trying to find the time to go through the list to describe the obvious ones, and also to play around with the entities to figure out what the commands do.

i also want to include which classes each command is used in, either by creating a separate list for each class, or listing the classes in or after the description.

we also have to examine the .ved map files for entity commands.

since alot of players already have modding experience (i.e. you-RC, Kaeto, JL, Dudymas...) maybe we could email the file to anyone who thinks they can contribute. they can fill in what they know, then email back to us. then we'll email it out to the next one to see what they can fill in. how does that sound?

IP:

Rex R
posted March 02, 2001 12:11 PM            
well I can tell you now that the command scalematrix does not seem to work with tanks (cat. racetank)

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 02, 2001 12:35 PM            
I can get the commands used in the VEDs easily...just have to compile them...

IP:

JVortex
posted March 02, 2001 08:56 PM            
This is a great idea! i had made a post a while back asking for just such a list and was told just to look at all the readme's... well, they give you a general idea, but most are none too clear (such as the x,y,z coords; it is much nicer to have them as side-side, up-down, front-back. It also took me a while to discover BoltOn = 0 ) . as of 3 days ago i finally got arround to compiling my own list of the command lines.
the one that I did is in a 3 column format for MS Word. it is set up like so:

Tag Name | Ent Class | Description

i did it in MS word because this way you can alphabetize by the 1st column if you are looking for a specific tag or alphabetize by the second column to display all the tags for a specific ent class in one grouping. (I suppose you could alphabetize by the 3rd column if you really wanted to )i then printed out the list with it alphabetized by the 1st column as i figured that that would be the one i would use most.

as far as uploading this to a site or freedom of emailing it, is that wise? i read somewhere (i dont recall where) that part of the incentive to purchase the full version is the fact that the readme files are included with the full version. so if you want to play with modding then you had better have the full version. i could be off on that one tho.

i would love to do some file swapping here tho with those of you who have their own version of the Entity Entry Key, as i have calld mine (its rather ammusing to have to consult the EEK for information). anyone who is interested email your copy to me and ill ship mine off in your general direction. it would be great to get a complete compiled listing going with a few footnotes of experience and words of wisdom added in.

also, LDA, i would like to put the EEK up on my site as well. is this something that is OK with you? i know that the demo is limited in some way or another on just what can be modded, but i dont know just how limited it is. i dont want to put up this info so that demo users loose an incentive point for getting the ful version. dont want to step on any toes here.

(and man... my lighter just died, back to matches. everyone feel sorry for me now )

lastly; what is the "official" title for the entries in the ent files? meaning each individual "thing". commands, tags, parameters, finger-lickin-good? i tend to refer to them as tags just from HTML authoring.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Site is down at the moment... :(

IP:

Retro
posted March 02, 2001 11:26 PM         
I (playing the demo) do plan on buying the full version when I get some cash (i don't even get an allowence), but a lot of people on this forum are WAY too concerned with getting people to buy this game.

I've played the demo for about a year now and felt no need to pay the $40 to get the full version.

It was just a few days ago that someone told me how to adjust tankgod (and the price drop to $25) that I decided I a was going to buy this game.

I can tell you if I was not able to modify it, I would not have changed my mind about buying it.

I just think that you should try and aid the treadmarks community any way you can (i.e. freely distribute "the list") and not concern yourself so much with preventing people from expirienceing treadmarks' capabilities before purchase.

Retro

[This message has been edited by Retro (edited March 02, 2001).]

IP:

JVortex
posted March 03, 2001 12:07 AM            
i dont mean to sound like an ass, but playing the demo for a year is why everyone is so anal about convincing people to get the full version. the more people that have the full version the more players there will be on the servers. the more people who buy it the more gratafication LDA gets and the better the chance for more frequent upgrades to the game (like the new capture the flag feature).
if too many of the capabilities and features of treadmarks are experienced with the demo there is no real incentive to purchase the game, which of course is the sole purpose for the demos existance. i do agree with you tho that the ability to modify the game so easily in so many ways should be more widely known. somewhere in the demo i think it makes a small mention of the game being "customizable" or something such but it doesnt really say much about it. it should be made more plainly clear the VARIETY of customizable things and just how easy it is to do so.

but i still stand by the idea that permission to release a listing of the entity file tags and what they do should come from LDA. if LDA gives it the go ahead i would LOVE to get the file out in the open for the whole comunity to work on, demo and retail users alike. the more people that can effectively wield the ent files the better as far as im concerned!

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Site is down at the moment... :(

IP:

peeeto
posted March 03, 2001 02:56 PM         
Rex R: the command to scale the mesh in the RaceTank class entity files is 'Scale = ___' (see the .ent for our Skimmer tank).

IP:

Rex R
posted March 03, 2001 03:00 PM            
I know. at the time I was trying to flatten the skimmer w/scalematrix didn't work.

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted March 03, 2001 03:23 PM            
JVortex:

Sorry for the delay...been flat out busy...

Feel free to post your EEK....and please email a copy to me as well...

We need a comprehensive guide to modding...

...and call them Entity Parameters....

Jim

IP:

JVortex
posted March 03, 2001 04:33 PM            
ok, cool. I'll integrate RC's listing into mine, elaborate on some of the descriptions and get it shipped to you sometime shortly. well, at least most of his, im not entirely sure what class type some of those parameters are for. ill give it a go tho.

------------------

IP:

Retro
posted March 03, 2001 05:18 PM         

...And everyone lived happily ever after...

Retro

IP:

A2597
posted March 14, 2001 03:17 PM            
I've made a total of four weapons in the demo. (lost one thanks to virus).
you can add new tanks, but you cannot exceed the two tank limit.
you can add as many weapons as you want, but NO MAPS.
I figured this out by accident (the weapons I mean) I won't post how though...I WANT THE FULL VERSION!!! WAAHHH!!!! I wish the stores near me had it.

------------------
--===BOOM===--

IP:

peeeto
posted March 14, 2001 04:27 PM         
why don't you order it, A25?

IP: