|
Author Topic:   Request Program from LDA
=DNX= Matrix
posted December 07, 2000 11:24 AM            
Some kind of map maker - I see from the menu that the maps can go on forever by bolting them together and reversing them - cool idea.

This tels me that some kind of top down topographic view (bump map style) bitmap editor could be used to create maps.

A grey topdown view using white as a high setting and black as a low setting - some terific maps can be made - if you then have some kind of water level setting, say from 1 to 100 with the specify which sky nad race type to use, the process would be fairly simple. Most of the map design can then be done in photoshop or simlar - even better they could be imported from such as vista fractal landscape maker.

This does of course remove adding such things as plasme balls on the landscape, but im sure this will be a natural evolvement in the continued support of this game.

Soon i would like to see a way to run the map external to a game and wonder round it like the spectator mode in Quake 3 Arena with the ability to add .lwo objects on the landscape - a considerable improvement on the bz map-maker.

these maps could then be sent to the server master and added to that server with an optional download page accessible through the server chat screen to obtain the map - that way the setting and bug testin can be done at admin level and therefore provide a top ball gaming experience.

I hope these comments come to a possitive result - cos basically im a mad modder when i get my hands on ! - ps would be great also (like bz) to download the players flag (its only small) during the joining of a game. 2 more seconds even at 56k wouldnt hurt and im sure that ppl wont even notice.

Best wishes & thanks.

~DNX~ |V\a†/2i>< [P] www.dnxworld.com
Clan DNX

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 07, 2000 12:13 PM            
LDA is planning to release the specs on a map editor sometime. I don't have specifics as to when. We will not be releasing an actual map editor though.

------------------
Random Chaos
Longbow Digital Arts
neym@longbowdigitalarts.com
------------------
Admin for theTerrain Deformation Site, Terrain Deformation Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos and the Mining Guild

IP:

peeet
posted December 07, 2000 03:41 PM         
so what's LDA's current position on a situation where a user figured out the map format on their own & had a utility to edit maps?

------------------
that's "peeeto" to you! :P

IP:

Dudymas
posted December 07, 2000 04:40 PM            
Yes yes, AMEN, what what?

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 07, 2000 05:08 PM            
We encourage users to make their own map editors - otherwise why would we plan to release the specs on the map files?

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 07, 2000 05:41 PM            
Hmm...
I'll probably just massacre them with a Hex editor

IP:

tankabott
posted December 07, 2000 05:47 PM         
why wouldnt they just release the editors and programs they used to make it with...i dont understand why it would have to be rewritten to make it user friendly? they made the game with it, im sure we could figure it out.
i just figured that they would release everything needed to make the game as mod friendly as they can, i mean wasnt that the idea behind it?
ive made all these models and i cant skin them, i have a ton of map ideas and i cant use them...
maybe i shouldn't complain though, i havnt even bought the full ver yet.
i guess im beginning to feel disapointed, i want to buy the game, im waiting to buy the game...its just that my largest reason for buying the game is the "mod factor." maybe if some sort of promises were made that the files and programs needed to make maps, texture models, and further customise aspects of the game (sdk?) would be released, then i would feel better about shelling out my money.

im sorry if i piss anyone off, i just want some reassurance that i wont be wasting my money.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 07, 2000 08:50 PM            
Oh christ - i started a ****storm - sorry random

-=[ /2 ]=-

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 07, 2000 08:50 PM            
Hmmm profanity filter ! nice ****ing touch

-=[ /2 ]=-

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 07, 2000 11:53 PM            
I'm going to abstain from continuing this discussion. Jim has reasons why he doesn't want to release their internal editor and since he's not availble to defend those reasons right now I can't tell you what they are.

As for specs - the only reason they aren't out yet is because they just haven't been compiled in a version that's releasable. I don't know too much about how the docs are assembled but I have a basic idea based on what I've been told. I'll give anyone any help I can if they want to try and figure it out before any official release of the specs.

------------------
Random Chaos
Longbow Digital Arts
neym@longbowdigitalarts.com
------------------
Admin for theTerrain Deformation Site, Terrain Deformation Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos and the Mining Guild

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 15, 2001 11:41 AM            
Leamie tell ya all a story......... Once upoon a time on the msn zone there was a game called ants. Well it had good quality maps the very best but then some quack went n spent days just playing with the map files until he figured out how to make um. THEN YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!! well first he gave it to his freinds who gave it to there freinds..............etc. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the little fool. Next day Corrupt useless maps start poping up. Ones that aren't even compatable with the game? So give it a few months and here we are now. Theres over 400 Corrupt Fake MAps n only two r quality!!! 2/400 hmmmmm not good. TM peoples wouldn't do that but still........

------------------
P) Can't forget those pirate smileys at the bottem now can we P)

IP: