|
Author Topic:   UltraEdit has added group support
swisher
posted December 05, 2000 09:15 AM            
I am not a modder, but if you are, you may be interested to know that the text editor UltraEdit (version 8) has just added group file support. What this means is that you could define one group of files (all .ent for a specific weapon, for example), and then open it. Opening this one group will automatically open every .ent file defined within it.

The editor also offers syntax highlighting. All you'd do is place all of the keywords (vox, sound, etc.) into a special file and associate that file's syntax highlighting attributes to all .ent files.

I've looked at a few of those .ent files, and they seem to reference a million others.

It also has a global search and replace for all files in a directory (with subs) or all open files.

This ediitor costs about $30 USD. It has a free 30 day trial.

Check it out at www.ultredit.com

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited December 05, 2000).]

IP:

Dudymas
posted December 05, 2000 10:48 PM            
to give honest truth, i love and always use Notepad for modding all ents, so there!

IP:

Random Chaos LDA
posted December 06, 2000 09:30 AM            
If you make really compicated entities the file can get to big for notepad...

So there

IP:

swisher
posted December 06, 2000 09:34 AM            
I think the power of UltraEdit would be the ability to opena ALL of the .ent files with one click. There is a tabbed pane along the top with each file name listed.

Rather than chase down each .ent, you could have it on screen, just a click away. Do global search/replace, etc.

Well, I'm done selling UE.

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 07, 2000 10:23 AM            
I see what you're saying swisher, but I don't think that's all that helpful. When you're doing serious modding, you know exactly what's in all the files associated with the one you're editing, so you have no reason to open them. Then again, it's less overkill than editing my ents with Visual C++

IP:

Dudymas
posted December 07, 2000 04:46 PM            
I never have been able to contemplate how an ent file would ever get soooooo big that notepad can't use it, so, RC, Notepad is the way to go for modding... who in their right mind would want to make something so large... UGH!!! I did try the other programs such as UE, Hex Workshop, Hackman, and what not, and they didn't appeal to me enough to fork over any money (and i hate the views that those hex editors give since they only let you look at a remote colum of date, mostly just showing hex values), i don't see the use in so many things that you can use if you don't need to use them... Just my $0.02

IP: