|
Author Topic:   Computer preparations for a DDM
posted May 12, 2002 04:03 AM            
There are several things that one could do to make you communication line and computer speed improve. This is what I am going to do:
- Remove my addon file from my TM folder. You end up synching the entities in you addon folder...which could cause lag.
- End all unnecessary programs running on you computer. There is a killer app call "End It All" which will just that. It is free and can be downloaded from the PC mag utilities.
- Stop your server for those that are running one.

Please let me know if there are others things that would be good to do.

IP:

Rex R
posted May 12, 2002 04:45 AM            
more to the point, is to remove just the weapon ents. if you remove the flags you might experience some problems(not sure)

IP:

coaxs
posted May 20, 2002 05:29 AM            
When you do a search put in "enditall" not "end it all".

IP:

Vlad
posted May 20, 2002 09:15 AM            
quote:
- Remove my addon file from my TM folder. You end up synching the entities in you addon folder...which could cause lag.

Actually, the server probably doesn't care what you've got in the addons folder if it's a stock server. Synching entities only happens if the server is running a mod that uses ents that it can't find in your Treadmarks/Entities folder. If it can't find them there, then it looks in your Addons folder, and if they're not in your Addons folder, THEN it synchs them.

However, for most DDMs, this is moot, since they're stock, and no synching would be needed under any circumstances.

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted May 22, 2002 09:48 AM            
Alternatively, you can run the 'msconfig.exe' in the 'start' pop-up menu! That lets you choose which programs are to run on start-up.

If you're gonna do that, then leave systray.exe (system tray) and a firewall, if you have one. Then restart your computer before logging into a potentially heated DDM.

I pretty much stick to a ritual before going online on Sunday nights!

1. clean up the hard drive with whatever utilities you normally use eg disk cleanup or Easy Cleaner

2. run error-check and defragment your drive a couple of hours previous to the DDM

3. place the addons folder to a place where TM won't try to read it. Desktop is good enough for convenience.

4. make sure 'systray' and a firewall are ticked in the msconfig then reboot.

------------------
The Ahn-NI-hilator

[This message has been edited by -DNX-Ni (edited May 22, 2002).]

IP: