This topic is 4 pages long:   1  2  3  4  |
Author Topic:   New clan?
Neo
posted June 25, 2001 04:27 PM            
If anyone is interested, I might begin to form a new clan. I would like for it to be at least say, 10 players.

Many people have been claiming that they enjoy being a lonewolf. Well, I too enjoy being a lonewolf--however, I think that friendly and competitive interclanular ( ) battles could be very fun and constructive. Also, intraclanular ( ) ladders and/or practices and/or battles could also be enjoyable and helpful. I would hope that members of this clan would be able/willing to help each other to become better players.

However, as a former "dedicated lonewolf", I don't want this clan to kill the spirit of the lonewolf. I liked the idea behind coax's "Alliance" for this week's clan battle, and hope to base this clan on that idea.

I would hope for this new clan to be as informally structured as possible, so that members do not feel like a useless number or part of a militant gestapo but rather like.....maybe "an army of one".

All options are open right now, and nothing is set in stone. Any input/ideas are welcome, as are all questions, comments, concerns, etc....

Those interested in joining, just respond in this thread or through my forum email.

So whaddya say? Let's get this thing going......

IP:

Vlad
posted June 25, 2001 04:36 PM            
Well, you pretty much described The Alliance. Personally, I thought that the whole concept was great. An already established clan vs a group of lonewolves.

The one game I was there for was great. Instead of a DM with people that you don't shoot at, there were individual DNX vs Alliance skirmishes everywhere. I'd take a look at my radar, and see small groups of red dots and green dots everywhere, and was able to pick which skirmish to join. Nothing like coming to the aid of a fellow lonewolf with guns blazing :-).

Personally, I think that The Alliance is the closest we're going to get to organizing the lonewolves.

IP:

peeeto
posted June 25, 2001 05:10 PM         
hmm... the Lonewolf Alliance [LWA]?
has a nice ring to it!

"interclanular" LOL

IP:

Neo
posted June 25, 2001 05:32 PM            
Peeto: That's exactly what I was thinking. I posted it somewhere in the general forum a few days ago....

Vlad: Perhaps you're right about the lonewolves. And I suppose you're definitely right about the idea; I am basically just asking if anyone would like to form a more permanent version of Saturday's "alliance"...

But this wouldn't be *exactly* like the temporary alliance coax banded together. This would be more along the lines of a real clan, or at least take the *form* of a real clan, to take part in inter-clan competition and probably some intra-clan practices and such. The idea was basically just to start a 100% democratic clan, so that people could participate in whatever way they wish. It was sort of the idea behind the UN: made up of sovereign parts which rule in whatever way they choose, but still with some form of organization, convention, and agreement.

But as I said, nothing is set in stone. All ideas will be considered. As long as people voice their opinions/ideas, they will not go unnoticed.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 25, 2001 06:05 PM            
I like the idea and I have many ideas. But, its Neo's baby so I'll let him take care of it. I'll just be the hairly dead forefather of LWA and let Neo handle all the details.

Okay, i can't help myself heres the fewest ideas i have without stepping on Neo's toes.

One idea though, is that its designed to be meant mostly to let us lonewolfs be allowed to participate in clan wars. I did it for Super since he wanted a clan war so badly.

Second, some rules are always needed even in pseudo clans. Such as a certain amount of time being a lone wolf can be considered a lone wolf, I've been a lonewolf for over a year.

Third, my favorite. Gotta have skill. Gotta at least place in a DDM that way gets more people to try to win one

Although people that played in "The Alliance" last weekend didn't all place in a DDM. It would strike fear in other clans to know that each member of LWA has shed his share of blood in DDM tournaments and placed.

The structure OF LWA must have no structure. Such as not wearing a LWA tag in out names when we play because we are a lonewolf. Not talking about how great LWA is, since its nothing but lonewolves saying they will participate in wars with each other.

When i think of LWA I picture a lonely ex-militant in the middle of the desert, he receives mail saying a war has been declared. He runs inside throws on a torn beat-up uniform and heads out for action.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 25, 2001 08:24 PM         
I am in. I like the idea of a more traditional clan - flags, practice, wars, intolerance (Joking!!!!!). Seriously - a formal clan where members are expected to stay active and loyal. An enterance requirement may be a little too much now but I would like a cap at 10 or so at least until there is a 3rd active clan. LWA might not be appropriate if it is the more formal clan - i.e. clanmebers would not be lone wolves. But - how many people are in and what do they think.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 25, 2001 08:55 PM            
I'm in if its informal, I'm out if its formal

IP:

Neo
posted June 25, 2001 09:01 PM            
coax: I don't want you (or anyone) to feel that their comments or contributions are not welcome. Above all else, I was hoping for this clan to be an institution of free speech and ideas. I don't want to be the only one running the thing. As I said before, I want it to be 100% democratic. It won't be any fun if I'm the only one running the show. I want everyone to feel that their voice counts and that their ideas are worthwhile. I would like any rules that are implemented to be rules that everyone agrees on.

I like your idea about not needing clan name tags in people's names (at least during normal play/practice), that's something I spoke with Robu1 about--he hasn't joined any clans partly because he didn't want to have the emphasis of his name placed onto the clan's initials. Kinda makes the player seem less important than the clan; this is something that I'd like to avoid making any rules about, for now at least. I think that for the beginning at least, people should be able to do as they please regarding their clan initials and naming. Anyone else have more thoughts?

W-Man: I too would like to see an activity and loyalty requirement. But at the same time, I don't want to abandon the spirit of the lonewolf. Slight dilemma here... I am willing to compromise, but I don't want to scare anyone away. Therefore I don't want to set anything I want in stone until we have more people to bounce ideas off of. If more people begin to favor a more traditional clan, then so be it. But would you still be interested if the vast majority liked the LWA idea?

Also W-Man, any suggestions for alternate names, if we do decide to implement the traditional clan method? And how do you feel about the other ideas we have discussed for the clan, seeing as you favor the more traditional ideology?

Now things are startin' to snowball huh??

IP:

Neo
posted June 25, 2001 09:11 PM            
Oh and coax, I almost forgot....

At first I liked the idea of having entrance requirements, but now I think it might not work at first. I don't really want to exclude anyone before anyones really even been included.

Let's see what other people think about this....c'mon guys, speak up out there. Look alive, this is the opportunity of a lifetime....err, something like that.

IP:

Paranor
posted June 26, 2001 01:05 AM            
I'd like to join a pseudo-informal clan for a few reasons.

First, having a family keeps me busy and thus I might not make it for any "required" activities. This past DNX vs. LWA is a good example - boy did I want to be there! But obviously family is more important than TM except at 7:00 PM CST on Sunday nights.

Second, I like the idea of banding lonewolves together to take on other clans. However, reality is we only really have one major clan (DNX) and another one called BWL?. Are they very active? Someday there will hopefully be more.

As far as requirements - that's a tough one. My performance in a DDM is improving weekly but that took me how long? (alright - no jokes here! ) I would have some type of requirements but nothing too tight to scare off anyone. Maybe require them to play a few DDM's to understand what happens? My younger brother would love to play in a DDM but he just learned what green tanks meant. Not a good idea to have him in a clan vs. LWA type situation but good enough to teach him how it's done in a regular sunday DDM.

It's midnight and I'm ranting on - I'm going to bed.

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited June 26, 2001).]

IP:

The Weatherman
posted June 26, 2001 08:24 AM         
Well, what exactly would the informal clan be- just meet for matches? the one thing I like about formal clans is team practice - but I spose we can just have an open practice (no other clan members allowed). Maybe we should have a 1-2 mo experience requirement instead of a skill req. - We can work with dedicated people to bring up their scores and for some scores are very ping dependent. whichever - formal or informal - would be fine.

IP:

Paranor
posted June 26, 2001 09:10 AM            
I like your idea of having "tutorials". Where do I sign up?

Would this be the unoffical or official welcoming committee for new players? New players - what's that?

I think that was what I was trying to get it at last night while typing in my sleep - some "time" experience and not necessarily a high ranking skill set. For example, a certain non-clan player doesn't necessarily have a "super high" frag count during DDM's but he can drive backwards/escape pretty darn good. He also pops in, causes damage and takes off in a blink. Would that would be beneficial for clan vs LWA type of situation? Kinda like the sniper of the bunch.

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 26, 2001 09:43 AM            
Although I am in clan TC because I was one of the beta testers for this version of TM it is not truly an active clan and I really consider myself a lonewolf (part of an undersea unseen wolfpack - haha). I would be up for an informal clan "alliance" of lonewolves. I think it sounds like an excellent idea.

I agree with not necessarily having to have a clan tag on you name - you would know who is who I am sure.

As for requirements to be in. I agree, if any, they should not be restrictive to the point of stopping people from joining but might cover a basic code of clean language in games and a requirement that we help each other with tactics to improve each others game play (I can always use help to learn new things ).

Others thoughts on these things?

[This message has been edited by Sailor (edited June 26, 2001).]

IP:

Paranor
posted June 26, 2001 10:53 AM            
Hmmm...clean language Sailor? Now who could you be referring to I wonder?

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 26, 2001 02:08 PM            
No specifics Paranor, but the thought still rings true. We have a community that includes young people and I am sure the parents like Nemzad, Kong, and others would appreciate it if we make an effort to see that we keep it clean. I know I would even though my children are adults now.
I hope that others feel the same. We do not need to drop to that level I am sure.

------------------
Pass the salt - it's time to go to sea.

IP:

Paranor
posted June 26, 2001 02:59 PM            
Hey, I'm included in that parent bunch!

My son plays as "Tiger" (he's 8) and my daughter as "Big Al". Her grandfather calls her that and I have no idea why but she likes it (she's 6).

Tiger will be trying his first DDM this sunday.

The only person I know of that has a language problem has kept it clean when asked and when I've been monitoring. Let's hope it stays that way.

Sorry neo - getting off track here on your topic.

IP:

Neo
posted June 26, 2001 03:02 PM            
[I don't swear that much! Honest! Err, at least, I try not to....]

Honestly though, I do like that idea, but I think it should be supported and instituted by the whole community, not just this subdivision.

Also, that "clean language" idea gave me a new idea: clan language. I read it wrong the first time and thought Sailor was proposing a secret code or language for use in games. Hehe... It's actually not such a bad idea. We could institute a rudimentary code (perhaps similar to 10-code) or language for use in multiplayer. It could save lots of typing, and enhance team play, cooperation, and strategy. Hmm... The only problem would be if our secret got outside of the clan. But I digress...

W-man: I like the idea of team practice a lot. I'm not sure if we should make it a required thing yet (we'll have to see how many members will actually show if we do indeed hold team practice sessions), but I do think it could become an important aspect of the clan.

Sailor, Paranor, coax, Vlad, everyone else: How do you feel about team practice? Would that kill the idea of a "lonewolf alliance"? I know how coax feels about informal vs. formal clans, but where does everyone else stand on that subject?

Also, about the initials. If we can agree on it, some of us might want to don the clan initials for some period of time in order to "get the word out" and get the clan some publicity, so that it doesn't stagnate....

IP:

Karldar
posted June 26, 2001 05:38 PM            
As long as things stay comfortably informal, you can count me in, too. Seeing as how mine and coax's attempt at a formal clan failed miserably, a loose alliance of lonewolves sounds pretty good to me. Mebbe GoatHead will return...someday...mebbe not-whatever.

As for clean language-I fully support that idea. No need for it in public games. However, I've thought it might be cool to have a private, hidden server where we could curse like sailors(no offense ). I know that both I and Neo(and others, I'm sure) get pretty frustrated sometimes-LOL! I figure if it's all in fun and we could somehow ensure that Tiger, GA#1, etc. can't get to it there's no reason consenting adults couldn't get a little rowdy now and again. Don't bite my head off or anything-it's just a thought and one that will prolly never be implemented anyway.

Also, I think that some kind of clan insignia might be in order for organized matches-or mebbe a special flag we could all use. How's about an mod to our existing LW flags to show that we have a common cause-be kind of a pain, but less obtrusive than a tag for our names.

Team practice would be cool with me. I like the idea of honing tread skillz with other humans instead of bots. Obviously, coax could show us some good stuff-and I've gotten some compliments on my helpfulness as a team player, but only in small matches(6-8 players). I tend to go into free-for-all mode when at a DDM for some reason. Prolly the blind rage of lagitude-I hate that crap!

Okay, I'm done...........for now-BWAHAHAHAHA!

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Paranor
posted June 26, 2001 07:58 PM            
Hah - a private curse server could be handy some nights. The first game of last sunday's DDM caused a few words to come to mind...

I like the idea of team practice. However, I want to take on the fabulous duo on a 2v2 match sometime soon. I'm guessing another 2-3 weeks and I'd feel confident. So practicing with coax would be a nice inside scoop.

I'm easy (and cheap) on the insignia before our names. Possibly use it during popular DDM matches or other games (hopefully this game grows) to "get the word out".

My son and daughter do not go on the computer unless they've asked first and then it's under near constant supervision. So no worries on my behalf on using any servers.

-P

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 26, 2001 08:41 PM            
Its already starting to sound a little bit to formal for my taste.

If you guys ever participate in a clan war against DNX let me know I'll join in.

Paranor, I'll be more then glad to play against you whenever. Also, I don't mind dropping in during training nights, I can always use the practise and tips, and I like giving advice too.

IP:

Neo
posted June 26, 2001 09:55 PM            
coax, don't run away just yet...

Coming to practice and showing up for clanwars are all the formalities we have so far; and even those aren't that formal yet. So unless you feel the need to use lots of explatives during practice, lol, then it seems like you would be fine with it. If you're sure you want out, the that's okay with me but why don't you just stick around for a while and see how things go. If you don't like the way things look after a fair amount of time, then feel free to walk out, no questions asked. Same goes for anyone else. Nothing's set in stone, so you shouldn't feel that you need to walk out until you know for sure what you're walking out on. However, whenever you are sure you want out, just let us know and it's done--no questions asked. ok?

Also I think we're going to end up being very lenient and flexible about practice sessions and competitions, especially at first. If anyone doesn't wan't to use a clan tag in your name, then they don't have to. I don't think we need to worry about strictly enforcing rules until we have enough members to worry about non-compliance being some kind of problem. Let's just keep things low-key and tentative until we can get our legs beneath us...

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 26, 2001 11:11 PM            
Informal is good and I agree stick around Coax we are not setting up to sign on in blood or anything - besides we could sure use someone of your caliber to help in the practices (no big head now).
Tags on names - naw.
Common flag - probably (a lone wolf baying at a bright night moon comes to mind). I have several shirts with wolves on them (love a good wolf design on a shirt).
Other formalities - yes keep it loose for now and see what develops.

------------------
Pass the salt - it's time to go to sea.

IP:

kv
posted June 27, 2001 05:30 PM            
interested in loose alliance.

Liked description of guy alone in desert who gets mail saying there is a war on.

IP:

Neo
posted June 27, 2001 09:43 PM            
Cool, well.....

Let's keep this going... If anyone wants to design a flag, feel free-- I'm gonna try to collect a pool of them and then put them up on server for all to view and then we can have a "vote" of sorts, I suppose. Send any flags to my forum email (include an *.ent file or at least proportion specifications, if you want it custom-fitted to a certain ratio).

Also I'd like to start taking less and less of the "leadership" duties for this, I want everyone to have equal say and participation...

Next order of business... definite list of members maybe?

Also, if anyone wants to come up with some alternative ideas for names, I'm all ears...

And I just wanted to say thanks to all the people who read/responded/showed interest/etc. in this idea. Everything's going pretty well from the look of it, just keep the input coming.....thanks fellas.

IP:

Karldar
posted June 28, 2001 01:45 AM            
In response to Robu1's post in the general forum, mebbe we have been calling this thing by the wrong name. I was gettin' a little miffed at Matrix's utterances, but I think I understand where he's comin' from now. We are going to be more of a loose alliance rallying to the occasional call to battle than a full-time clan, it sounds like-so why not just be an alliance. We'll be allies instead of clan blood-brothers or whatever. Just a thought.

Also, during GoatHead's extremely short existence, I liked to play with the ^GH^ I used behind my name. That way, people knew I was part of an (un)organized group, but they saw my name first-not the clan designation.

Did that make sense to anyone?

------------------
I like pie!

[This message has been edited by Karldar (edited June 28, 2001).]

IP:

This topic is 4 pages long:   1  2  3  4