|
Author Topic:   TMOlympics '01: Tank Gymnastics
Vlad
posted May 02, 2001 01:36 PM            
I don't know how much the physics in 1.5 has changed compared to 1.0, but here goes anyway.

Is there any particular thing that you can do when your tank gets flipped, rolled, stood on end, etc to recover faster? I've tried doing stuff like gunning the accelerator when doing a handstand, and I THINK I've noticed a difference, but I could, just be imagining it.

It just seems like when I hit someone with a Dirtball, Mass Driver, or any weapon that tends to send tanks spinning, they recover fairly quickly.

However, whenever I get hit by a dirtball, my tank's on end for WAY too long, and SLOWLY falls back down. It's even worse if it's flipped over, then it has to go ALL the way back to on the fron end, then back over.

IP:

peeeto
posted May 02, 2001 08:48 PM         
i dunno, vlad - i think i've noticed this problem more on the 1.5+ versio, too.

on using accel. to recover, it seems to depend on the terrain. the good thing to know is that you can still move if you are in contact with the ground, no matter what position your tank is in. i've driven a tank upside-down for almost a full minute! it's kinda hard to shoot at someone when that happens, though

IP:

Rex R
posted May 03, 2001 01:22 AM            
not a lot you can do, however if you should happen to have the concussion missiles you can try blasting yourself out of range(sort of like rocket jumping in quake)

IP:

GUIDO
posted May 04, 2001 11:45 PM         
HOW WOULD CONCUSSION MISSLES DO ANYGOOD? I DIDN'T THINK TM'S HAD ANY SORT OF WEAPON RECOIL PHYSICS.....FUN.....GUIDO

IP:

Vlad
posted May 05, 2001 12:06 AM            
Concussion missles have a kick to them, so if you're any way but up, you can fire them at the ground, and the force from their explosion will knock you back. It's difficult to time it to get yourself righted, but you can at least get away from any pursuing tanks.

IP:

Dreamer
posted May 08, 2001 12:58 PM         
If you're not totally upside-down, you can flip back using the forward/backward controls most of the time.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 08, 2001 02:06 PM            
i've developed a pretty could technique to rcover fast. I drive my upside down tank to a hill of some sort and do a series of complicated turns and it flips back into position quickly enough. AI's seem to be able to fix themselves easily enough though.

edit: had some grammar issues i needed to fix.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

[This message has been edited by coax (edited May 08, 2001).]

IP:

GUIDO
posted May 08, 2001 09:34 PM         
WOW COAX THATS RELLY FAR OUT DRIVE UPSIDE DOWN TO THE NEAREST HILL AND DO A SERIES OF COMPLICATED TURNS? SOUNDS LIKE UR REALLY SPECIAL. I DON'T THINK I'VE EVER HEARD OF ANYTHING SO RIDICULOUS. WHEN THAT HAPPENS TO ME...AND IT DOES MY CHANCES ARE 50% I'LL GET KILLED,40% I'LL LIVE, OR, 10% I'LL GET ANY KIND OF HELP FROM A TEAMMATE.HOW ABOUT THIS? I'M BADLY DAMAGED BUT COMMIT SUICIDE BY RUNNING INTO MINES I LAID, DOES THAT COUNT AS A FRAG FOR THE OTHER TEAM? OR WHAT? AS SOON AS UR SUPER BRAIN CAN FIGURE IT OUT PLEASE LET ALL US LITTLE PEOPLE KNOW, PLEASE COAX? WE LOOK UP TO YOU, EVEN THOUGH WE CAN'T BELIEVE THEY CAN STACK S--T THAT HIGH.WOW THAT WAS A FUN RANT...REAL FUN!!!.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 08, 2001 10:17 PM         
HEY GUIDO - KILLING YOURSELF TAKES AWAY ONE OF YOUR FRAGS - YOU CAN WEIGH THE BENEFITS OF DENYING AN ENEMY THE KILL. THERE ARE 2 EASIER WAYS TO KILL YOURSELF THOUGH: USE ALT-K TO LOSE ONE LIFE OR PISS OFF COAX TO LOOSE MANY. - NOT KIDDING, HE IS REALLY GOOD.
SHOUTING WHEN TALKING WOULD BE LESS ANNOYING, The Weatherman

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 08, 2001 10:37 PM            
Don't worry Guildo with practise you can be good too just like me and super and Skan. Don't get suicidal theres hope for you yet

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

GUIDO
posted May 10, 2001 06:12 PM         
I CAN'T SAY I'VE NOTICED LOSING ANY FRAGS WHEN I FRAG MYSELF , EITHER ACCIDENTALLY OR OTHERWISE BUT I'LL PAY CLOSER ATTENTION . I NEVER CONSIDERED SUICIDE UNTIL SLOAX WAS SO CRUEL HHAHAHAHA.....I WAIT WITH BAITED BREATH FOR YOUR NEXT WORDS OF WISDOM SLOAX. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE BUT AIN'T SLOAX JUST A SUPER DUPER SORT A GUY TO SHARE HIS UNLIMITED KNOWLEDGE OF TM'S ? WOW THAT WAS A FUN RANT THANKS AGAIN .

IP:

peeeto
posted May 10, 2001 06:52 PM         
you'll only lose a frag by using ALT-K to suicide. if you get killed by another player's weapon, the game treats it like the other player just got the better of you.

IP:

GUIDO
posted May 11, 2001 11:52 PM         
WOW GO TO TEN DIFFERENT DOCTORS GET TEN DIFFERENT ANSWERS , KINDA MAKES IT ALL SUBJECTIVE . DRIVE UPSIDE DOWN , SERIES OF UNDISCLOSED MANEUVERS , WHAT WORKS FOR ONE MAY NOT WORK FOR OTHERS. DIFFERENT GENES YA KNOW , OR ARE WE ANY DIFFERENT FROM THE BOTS ??????? GUIDO THE MERCY KILLER.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted May 18, 2001 01:58 PM            
I find the easiest way to flip is (when fliping forward) press the backward control quickly followed by a long hold of the forward control. Flips you quite fast. Side to side controls work if you're at a slight angle.

But the backward first gives you a bounce that starts you moving faster then just holding the forward one down.

--RC

IP:

GUIDO
posted May 18, 2001 06:02 PM         
WHEN IT HAPPENS TO ME AND THE OTHER TANKS RIGHT ON ME..... WELL I GUESS I CAN KISS MY ASS GOODBYE. I USUALLY ONLY GET OUT FO IT IF A TEAMATE IS ON THEM SO I HAVE TIME TO RECOVER, AND CHANGE MY UNDERWEAR. HEHEHE....GUIDO THE MERCY KILLER.......!

IP: