This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3  |
Author Topic:   Ask Mr. Treadmarks Manners
The Weatherman
posted May 02, 2001 01:02 PM         
Dear Mr. Treadmarks Manners,

How long should you wait to frag someone who is chatting? 3 seconds after they finish or as soon as they swing towards you? Should you just comeback to kill them later?

-Trigger Happy

IP:

Vlad
posted May 02, 2001 01:29 PM            
It depends on the situation. If they're responding to something I said to them (or I think they're going to), I'll give them a good amount of room.

However, if it's someone just sitting there chatting, they're free game. However, with certain people like Guido (REALLY annoying, and slow typers), I'll say something that I know will get a response, then throw a dozen or so MRL missles at them while they're slogging through a response. There's VERY few people I do that too, though.

IMO, it's up to the typer to wait until they're out of danger to type. It only takes a second to glance at the radar for any red dots.

Here's another TM Ethics situation..

You're driving around, looking for targets, when all of the sudden, an enemy tank comes flying out of nowhere, obviously out of control, and smoking like crazy. Close on its heels is a teammate, carrying a mass driver, or something else that would signify that he's the person who sent the first tank flying in your direction in the first place.

Do you take the easy kill, or let your teammate finish the job?

Unless it's absolutely obvious that the teammate is going to be able to get the kill, I'll try to get it. Even if a tank is smoking, a skilled driver will be able to use the terrain and the 120mm (or whatever) and maybe get a few hits in, maybe enough to kill the teammate.

I ask because I've had a few occurances of people saying I was stealing their kills recently. Most of the time, I saw a smoking enemy tank and just fired, but I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks about it.

IP:

Dreamer
posted May 02, 2001 05:15 PM         
I think it's annoying - I've had games where ppl kept stealing my frags to the point of sticking with me, but not firing until I had almost finished the enemy tank.
IMO most ppl (including me, sometimes) would not think twice before shooting at any smoking enemy tank without even considering why that one might be almost done for.
again IMO, that's quite OK since that will only happen on team scoring servers where individual frags don't matter that much.
It can be pretty frustrating, though, if you finish a match with 8 to 10 frags but have done way more damage than the winner.
If ppl complain, try to keep out of their way, if not, try to think of TM as a game.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 02, 2001 05:18 PM         
That is a great question - I feel that I vulch a bit too often. It is really hard to resist an easy kill. If it does get to bothering someone ,it is their responsibility to tell you to find your own kills. I like playing on small teams b/c you only have to worry about 1-2 m8s. Sometimes, I will shadow a teammate if they are chasing someone and they are both smoking. The idea is to help out, but I don't want to steal kills. Half the time I get to kill the enemy after they kill the teammate. BTW, I rarely see any team communication - a good duo or trio is basically unstoppable. Of course, vulching is proper if the 2 tanks battling are both enemies

What about when the kill ratios come out lopsided. I seen games where the top guy says "gg" and gets a couple of "yeah rights" back. How can someone having a big game not get this running-up-the-score flak? Only kill AI's? Use only the peashooter or weak powerups? This could be a real problem when the much hoped for fresh meat starts rolling in. Should we have a newbie/training server that excludes verterans?

Yeah- it's just a game - a kick @$$ one at that! It is in everyones best interest not to hack others off 'cause you need to keep humans playing if you want a challenge.

I never really see anyone being a jerk - everybody seems to be pretty easy going. Don't be shy if you think somebody is out of line. Course, I would like to see some bloody grudge matches too .

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited May 02, 2001).]

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 03, 2001 04:39 AM            
That is one of my biggest pet peeves.I try to let the person who does all the work get the frag.I get pissed off when somebody comes along and kills the guy i've been working on with one 120mm shot.If it happens repeatedly from the same team member,then I'll knock them off the map with a nice mass round shot Just enough to send my message of disatisfaction.If its one big group of players fighting it out,then yes,its everybody for themselves and I'll launch a MRI right in the middle of the group and kill whoever it hits.Thats one of the reasons I like team damage.Your team mates learn to not get too close when your tearing somebody up.

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted May 04, 2001 03:31 PM            
I have been in a few hard fought battles lately. Weatherman and Polamnus were playing with me on a CTF where I killed them repeatedly when they attempted to get my flag, but right as the game was about to end my system locked up and when I returned to the game it was on a new map and my ping was about 6-8 thousand (memory problem I think). I had to leave to reset my system, but before I left they told me I was a real pain in the b#@t in the last game. No kills taken from anyone else, at least I don't remember any, but I did enjoy knowing I had caused them much pain and suffering at my tanks hands. I just watched for their vulnerabilities and took my lumps as they came. Never did know what the final of that game was, but I had fun kicking their behinds - sometimes literally from behind as they tried to run off with my flag. Thanks for a great game that day guys.

------------------
Pass the salt - it's time to go to sea.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 04, 2001 05:10 PM         
Yeah Sailor- you are an awesome goalie and a big pain in the @$$. I think you won that game, BTW . Tread_This was playing well too. Lotsa fun and lols!

IP:

JVortex
posted May 04, 2001 06:31 PM            
most of these ethical questions really just depend on how well you know who youre playing with. i think as a general rule you should just give your team mates space and maybe shadow them for backup (or just follow coax around and snake his kills ) as far as when someone is chatting i will normally wander off and leave them be. but i have no problem with someone fragging me when im in mid chat.

if somsone tries to start chatting when you and them are in one of those one on one matches that happen then too bad, no mercy for the chatter!

some people get really pissy if u accidentally hit them when THEY are the ones who charged up in the way to try to snake your frag. no point in arguing at all over whos fault it was. just gotta deal with it and move on.

it can however be an absolute blast to run around when theres a bunch of humans on and try on purpose to steal each others frags. and just me being me, heh, its kinda fun to wander up along side a chatter and tickle their hull with a single machine gun shot or other weak weapon...

IP:

Vlad
posted May 04, 2001 07:00 PM            
...or blow them over the horizon with a well placed mass round...

IP:

GUIDO
posted May 04, 2001 11:27 PM         
HEY VLAD WHO U KIDDIN? YOUR IDEA OF A CHALLENGE IS TO PLAY ON THE NGI DEMO SITE AND TAKE AS MUCH ADVANTAGE OF THE NEWBIES AS U CAN. THEN GUYS LIKE PANZER GENERAL SHOW UP AND WOW YOUR SCORE GOES SOUTH FAST. IV'E SAVED A FEW PEOPLES NECKS MORE THAN ONCE CAUSE WE WERE ON THE SAME TEAM. YOU SHOULD QUIT TRYING TO ANALYZE YOUR MOTIVES FOR PLAYING TM IT'S OBVIOUS YOUR A PERSON WITH DEFINATE SADO-MASOCHISTIC TENDENCIES, BY THE WAY ARE U STILL PLAYING THE GAME WITH YOUR THUMB CUFFS ON? YOU ARE A SKILLED PLAYER , BUT NOT QUITE THE LEGEND TO OTHERS AS THE LEGEND IN YOUR OWN MIND. IT IS AFTER ALL A VERY CALLENGING GAME , BUT NOT PSYC.101. WOW THAT WAS A FUN RANT.........GUIDO

------------------

IP:

Vlad
posted May 05, 2001 12:15 AM            
I hate to feed the troll, but I must...

1. I play on the NGI Demo server because it's the one that actually has people on it.

2. I would hardly consider the majority of players on the demo servers newbies. I've seen Bladeqc, Coax, Rommel, sss, Neo, Korea Army, and others on there, and it's quite a challenge to spar with them.

3. Sado-masochistic tendencies? So I like to inflict pain on others and love to feel pain? I think you're taking things a bit too seriously, here. While I enjoy a good 120mm kill as much as anybody, I'd hardly call that sadomasochism.

4. "Thumb cuffs"?

5. I don't recall referring to myself as a "legend", or even inferring it in anything I said. I just enjoy the game.

IP:

GUIDO
posted May 05, 2001 12:42 AM         
STILL DON'T SEE WHY ONE MUST TRY TO ANLYZE WHAT ANOTHER DOES DURING GAMEPLAY BE IT CHAT OR BE MUTE AND GO ON A KILL CRAZY RAMPAGE. USUALLY IF THERE ARE FEW HUMANS PLAYING AND I GET A BIT BORED , OR JUST WANT TO TALK TO ANOTHER PLAYER, IF I GET KILLED WELL I MUST NOT HAVE BEEN TOO WORRIED ABOUT IT . IT'S NOT LIKE I CAN EXIT THE GAME AND CONTINUE TO CHAT,NOW CAN I ?. TO ME A FEW WELL PLACED BARBS, TAUNTS, RANTS CAN MAKE AN OTHERWISE BORING KILL FEST FUN. WHEN, VLAD ARE U GOING TO PUBLISH YOUR MANUAL OF ARMS , OR CODE OF ETHICS, OR WORLD ACCORDING TO VLAD ?. BE SURE TO LET US ALL KNOW SO WE CAN RUN DOWN TO BARNES AND NOBLE TO GET A COPY, AND REALLY LEARN HOW TO PLAY THIS GAME, THE WAY U DO THEN WE COULD ALL BE VLADBOTS AND NEVER BE KILLED OR OFFEND. A FEW HARUMFS FROM A MINORITY OF PLAYERS DOES NOT MAKE A MORITORIUM FOR ALL TO ADOPT YOUR STYLE.MANY CAN WIN OR LOOSE ON ANY GIVEN DAY. WOW THAT WAS A FUN RANT.......GUIDO.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 05, 2001 04:18 PM         
Guido makes a good point, somewhere, I am sure of it. This was just a kind of a JFF thread - we are not outlining the Geneva convention here. Most of the politeness rules seem to appply when you are playing aginst people you know and respect on the field. Everyone knows what a cheap kill is. I don't want someone to think that i killed them or won a game because I took cheap shots.

But, if you do get the reputation as a rude player, you are bound to end up with a big ole target on your back. This no doubt appeals to some players as it means you get a lot of action .

I wanna see a grudge match of Vlad vs. Guido - sounds like there is some real love there

Maybe you can answer me this question, Guido? Why do the regulars on the demo not pony up the $ for the full game? Is it a money issue, gameplay, stubborness?

Also, where do Newbies get copies of the demo from?- Old demo disc, file sharing, a big download site?

IP:

Vlad
posted May 05, 2001 05:27 PM            
I didn't think that the topic was getting THAT serious. I just mentioned my personal take on type-killing, and brought up another question which I felt was related.

While tagging on someone's heels to get kills could classify as rude, what about going along with someone to gain a numerical advantage against enemy tanks?

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 05, 2001 07:29 PM         
I think that can be classified as teamwork and should be encouraged. I believe that is what Pres Bush calls "Strategery"!

IP:

GUIDO
posted May 07, 2001 07:05 PM         
I'VE PLAYED BOTH VERSIONS OF THE DEMO 1.0 AND 1.5 YOU CAN GET ONLINE TO PLAY WITH VERSION 1.0 BUT ONLY PLAY AGAINST BOTS ON 1.5 . I WANTED TO PLAY THE GAME LONG ENOUGH AGAINST HUMANOIDS TO SEE IF I LIKED IT ENOUGH TO BUY IT , AND I WILL BE BUYING IT.I'M GLAD IT'S COME DOWN IN PRICE TO 20.00 BUCKS. ONE THING I MISSED FROM 1.5 DEMO TO THE 1.0 I PLAY IS THE REAR VIEW WHICH I REALLY LIKED.I GOT BOTH DEMO'S FROM DIFFERENT GAME SIGHTS. FUNNY I WAS PLAYING 1.5 FIRST , THEN CAME ACROSS 1.0 AND WAS GLAD TO BE ABLE TO FINALLY PLAY ON LINE, DOUBT IF I'D BEEN WILLING TO BUY IT JUST PLAYING THE AI. I GET A FEELING OF COMMERADERIE, NOTHING LIKE KILLING A FREIND HUH GUY'S. THAT WAS A FUN RANT....GUIDO!!!!

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 08, 2001 12:38 PM         
Well, that was a good answer! Not to ranty at all really . Welcome, and I hope to catch you online sometimes.

BTW, LDA has caught on that M-player is what will draw new players and is planning on releasing a 1.5 demo w/ limited m-player.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 08, 2001 02:23 PM            
this entire thread is rather funny. And can be analyzed logically or anti-logically(just gotta love that public school English). I beleive everyone who responded answered anti-logically . If there is a tank on fire and flipping past you and you see me, coax, with the mass round. I would encourage you to think, hmmm 1 easy kill? or potentially piss off coax with 15 mass rounds?

I have found that most people do not take my kills

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

The Weatherman
posted May 08, 2001 02:37 PM         
Ohhhhh - a pissed off coax! I am soooo frightened. Somebody save me! (Okay, now I am just chucking rocks at a beehive ).

Lemme know when you are on usually, coax, and we can have a mini DM (open to all of course and just for funsies - saving the anal-lysis for organized matches).

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 08, 2001 02:40 PM            
lol, oh-well. I at least tried to look tuff.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

GUIDO
posted May 08, 2001 09:15 PM         
WOW SOUNDS LIKE WE NEED OUR OWN VERSION OF THE GENEVA CONVENTION. NO MUSTARD GAS , BUT OF COURSE NUKES ARE OK HAHA. SO COAX IF WE LEAVE YOUR KILLS ALONE , WHEN A TEAMMATE IS IN TROUBLE HOW ABOUT A LITTLE HELP!!!.FROM MY POINT OF VIEW IF I DAMAGE SOMEONE BADLY AND IM DAMAGED BUT A TEAMMATE WHO IS TOTALLY HEALTHY CAN MAKE THE KILL FOR THE TEAM WHILE I LOOK FOR REPAIR IS FINE WITH ME , IT'S A SCORE FOR THE TEAM.PEOPLE ON THE SAME TEAM WHO COOPERATE WILL USUALLY BE THE VICTOR. ANYONE AGREE??? WOW THAT WAS A FUN RANT...GUIDO .....THE MERCY KILLER.

IP:

Vlad
posted May 08, 2001 09:45 PM            
The only problem is that when someone's in trouble, they're too busy running to really type anything, and it's also tricky to find someone who needs help. I'll help a teammate when I come across one in trouble, but if I hear a call for help, and they're not anywhere near me, there's not much that can be done. By the time I found the trouble, it'd probably be resolved, one way or another.

IP:

Karldar
posted May 08, 2001 10:16 PM            
I like to use team chat to help mates find spanners and weapons. I really like playing without teams, tho.

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

GUIDO
posted May 10, 2001 06:24 PM         
SO KARLDAR U MEAN U LIKE PLAYING WITH YOURSELF.....INSTEAD OF WITH OTHER HUMANOIDS I MEAN. BY ANY CHANCE DO YOU RUN WITH SCISSORS ? DOES THAT PIE HAVE HAIR AROUND IT ???? COME ON OVER TO THE NGI SITE AND I'LL LET U KILL PANZER GENERALIZATION. AS LONG AS I GET TO WATCH U GRIND HIS SORRY OLD BUTT INTO THE MAP....HAHA...WOW THAT WAS A SEMI - KINDA SORTA FUN TYPE RANT. YOU LIKE PIE..... GUIDO THE MERCY KILLER!!!!!!!!!

IP:

KONG
posted May 11, 2001 12:42 AM            
boy, guido has very poor manners

IP:

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3