|
Author Topic:   Blender and Python
wolfman
posted December 14, 2001 08:22 PM            
Helllllllllppppppppppp! I downloaded all the recommended programs and scripts for modding off the sheet on BWL site. Right before the last step - i.e. as I am about to grab a lwo file to play with - the system states that Blender.exe error has occurred. I did the changes in the script as stated in the how to. I even unistalled the programs and then redownloaded and reinstalled the programs again. Same problem. Any help would me most appreciated - thanks.

IP:

wolfman
posted December 14, 2001 08:22 PM            
someone pleasssssssssssseeeeeeeeee help

------------------
I am neither for nor against Apathy!

IP:

A2597
posted December 14, 2001 08:35 PM            
www.xdsoft.com/explorer/

thats what I do. don't care for python.

------------------
This post was made by A2597, not A####, not A2754 A-2-5-9-7, K? :)

IP:

wolfman
posted December 15, 2001 11:03 AM            
do you still have to use it with blender or is it a stand alone for everything

------------------
I am neither for nor against Apathy!

IP:

peeeto
posted December 17, 2001 10:28 AM         
hi wolfman! as i stated before, i'm no Blender expert - we're learning together here ...

to start with, please be more specific:
- exactly what error is occurring?
- which LWO model are you trying to import?
- does Blender seem to work OK by itself?,
- or does the error occur only when you try to import something?

i think that A2597 was trying to tell you that you can convert 3D files to another format that can be imported into Blender, without Python. 3DExploration (from A2597's post, above), can be used as a stand-alone program to convert the 3D model to one of 3 3D file formats, that can then be imported into Blender:
1) Inventor 1.0 ASCII (____.iv)
2) VRML 1.0 ASCII (____.wrl)
3) ASCII-DXF (____.dxf)

there are other freely-available 3D file converters available on the Web... i can think of one called Crossroads 3D and another called 3DWin .

just remember to change your view to be looking from the front (NumPad_1) before you open the 3D file in Blender.

---------------------------------
NOTE: wolfman, i am going to ask Coax to move this discussion to the Blender / TreadMarks Workshop discussion in the Forum after you read this. please post a quick note that you've seen this post, and then Coax will know it's OK to move it over. thanks!

IP:

wolfman
posted December 17, 2001 12:43 PM            
Appreciate the help = will have to get back to all of this. Am having major hd problems right now - still trying to fix those first so that I can give these programs a shot - once I have that straightened out I will get back with specifics. Forgotten the specifics when the hd starting acting up = saving files etc in case it completely crashes.

IP:

peeeto
posted December 17, 2001 02:35 PM         
doh! it didn't even occur to me before! LithUnwrap is an excellent conversion tool!

what makes it even better than others is that it can triangulate the models first! and using it will help familiarize new users with using LithUnwrap as well!

i will re-write the Tutorial to take Python completely out... since almost all of the Python stuff is already written, i'll keep that info available, though.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted December 22, 2001 08:32 PM            
[action]moved this topic here upon peeeto's request

IP: