|
Author Topic:   Blender / TreadMarks Workshop
peeeto
posted November 30, 2001 01:39 PM         
[EDIT Dec 12, 2001] i have started an HTML tutorial, which can be found here: Blender Tutorial
please direct any questions/comments to this topic. thanks, and i hope it helps!

[original post:]
based on STRJ64's comments in this post, i'll try to get us all acquainted with Blender here...

these discussions will eventually help me to create a tutorial for using Blender for 3D modeling in TreadMarks.

please keep in mind that i am a COMPLETE NOVICE at Blender! i am learning as i go...

since alot of Q&A might go on in this topic, i'll try to keep the tut info bracketed out:

---------------------------------------------
GETTING STARTED:

first, get the latest version of Blender here (~1.8MB, freeware), and install.

eventually, you will want to get Python , a scripting language for Blender plug-ins. the most convenient way to import & export LWO files is with the plugin.

ONLY PYTHON 2.0.X WILL WORK WITH BLENDER. DOWNLOAD VERSION 2.0.1 HERE.

i haven't installed Python for Blender in quite a while, and i know that there are issues that we need to be aware of to make it work right...

you may want to hold off getting Python right now, and i'll try to get complete instructions together...

please go through the first two Blender Tutorials available online - i need to review these, and summarize this info before i continue...

for any further help with Blender on your own, try searching or asking in the Blender Discussion Forums. please remember to share your Q&A's here, with us, as well!

---------------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited November 30, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited December 12, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited January 25, 2002).]

IP:

Kevlar
posted November 30, 2001 02:38 PM            
Hey man, I am all over that like a monkey on a cupcake. I installed it a while back, but started using MilkShape instead. It is a hair more complicated to use than MilkShape, actually several hairs. But I wanted to start playing around with it. And Blender looks like it could do more and for free, no less. I will check out those online tutorials, just let me know what you find out about that install issue.

IP:

peeeto
posted November 30, 2001 03:41 PM         
do a search in Blender Discussion Forums, and/or the Blender Knowledge Base...

make sure you get Python 2.0.1 instead of Python 2.0

i _believe_ that you only need to install Python, and then in any script you want to run, you have to change the line:

code:
import Blender

to
code:
import Blender210 as Blender

also, the LWO import scales the imported model by a factor of 10. to fix this, change the line:

code:
LWOscale = 10

to
code:
LWOscale = 1.0

within the script itself. the script is called "lwoimport.py", and can be downloaded from here.

*** looking at it again, i guess that this script only IMPORTS LWO files, and doesn't export them

IP:

peeeto
posted November 30, 2001 03:43 PM         
Kevlar - the neat thing about Blender is the ability to model with NURBS... it's my goal to work up to modeling with NURBS in this discussion and the resultant tutorial

IP:

Karldar
posted November 30, 2001 06:53 PM            
K, I was just messin' around with Blender b4 that game this afternoon, Peeeto. Um, it made my brain all sore and stuff. Too many options, almost. Still gotta go thru the tuts tho. Wish me luck.

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

Kevlar
posted November 30, 2001 06:56 PM            
Ok I will check that out. Refresh my limited 3d modeling experience, what's NURBS?

IP:

peeeto
posted December 01, 2001 09:20 AM         
here's a good article that i just came across yesterday: NURBS LINK
(sorry about the GIF image - hope it isn't too big)

and here's my attempt at an explanation, fom the "Blender v2.14 Has Arrived!" topic:

NURBS = Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines. put into practice, it just offers very flexible control over the shape of an object. for example, you can create a NURBS Sphere, and then deform the sphere into many different shapes by using only a few control handles. very easy once you see how it's done.

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited December 09, 2001).]

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 01, 2001 01:12 PM            
Ah, I if I'm not mistaken that's similar to how they do 3d animation in movies.

IP:

peeeto
posted December 05, 2001 02:16 PM         
probably - splines provide the most (AFAIK) natural curves that can be easily described mathematically.

*** look for more info tonite! i plan on working on this before the Wed Night Invitational DDM

[EDIT] rrrrrrrrr! i decided to start making a web page for the tutorial and didn't get very far, but it's 7:00pm EST - time for the DDM! i'll let you all know when i get something up you'll be interested in

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited December 05, 2001).]

IP:

peeeto
posted December 11, 2001 05:12 PM         
More of the Tutorial done tonight! Goes through importing LWO files and starts to get into using Blender:

Blender Tutorial

[EDIT 1] darn UBB Code!
[EDIT 2] updated progress

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited December 11, 2001).]

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 11, 2001 11:25 PM            
Cool, I will start the tutorial Thursday night I have some spare time then. Looks like you've been working hard.

IP:

peeeto
posted December 12, 2001 01:21 AM         
cool - i should have more done by tomorrow night...

please let me know if it's easy to get Blender & Python working together - i've had so many versions of Blender & Python installed, i don't remember anything special i had to do, if anything, to get it working.

if anyone has trouble, let me know & i'll figure it out. in the meantime, it's not imperative to have Python working... all of the "getting around in Blender" parts of the Tutorial are the hard part

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted December 12, 2001 12:43 PM            
Excellent job so far Peeto. I have downloaded Blender, but need to get Python and make sure they work together. I will do that tonight if I have time. Will be gone for the next week to a class, but will get back to this when I return. Thanks for all your work on the Tutorial information.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.

IP:

A2597
posted December 12, 2001 04:53 PM            
One more thing peeto,
ANY questions you have in Blender can be directed to me. I'll be GLAD to help!

A2597- otherwise known as "The Man With His Head Stuck in the Blender

(And I am, too)

------------------
This post was made by A2597, not A####, not A2754 A-2-5-9-7, K? :)

IP:

A2597
posted December 12, 2001 04:58 PM            
Oh, and another tutorial for Blender can be found at my site: http://www.b5-blender.com/anothernew/tutorial1.html

and I have forums at my site as well.

------------------

IP:

A2597
posted December 12, 2001 05:01 PM            
On to layres.

Layres are VERY handy in blender, thoughsadly I know very little about them.
I CAN say that for modeling in Blender they are not needed, they are more for rendering.

Real Time stuff is for games and such.
(Blender can make games)

------------------

IP:

peeeto
posted December 12, 2001 05:03 PM         
thanks, A25! i'll appreciate your help!

if you wouldn't mind, take a look at the Tutorial as i go through it... you may have some suggestions on better ways to do or explain things. this is a good excercise for me, as it gives me good practice with Blender basics

and as for layers, i am very familiar with them through AutoCAD. their main importance (IMHO) is for organization of large scenes. they can also be useful in troubleshooting and to help reduce render time during development of a scene.

i'm jumping ahead a little bit, but i will only touch briefly on layers in the Tutorial. i will suggest that users develop their 3D models without worrying about the overall size of them.

before they start, or after they are done, they can import a familiar TreadMarks LWO on a separate layer and lock that layer so they don't accidentally modify or delete it. the layer with the TM LWO can then be turned on & off whenever the user chooses.

if they import the TM LWO before they construct their 3D model, they can use the size of the TM LWO as a guide as they are working. if they wait until after they are finished, they can scale their entire model im comparison to the familiar model.

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited December 13, 2001).]

IP: