|
Author Topic:   Blender v2.14 Has Arrived!
peeeto
posted August 02, 2001 05:59 PM         
get it here!: www.blender.nl

[EDIT - couldn't resist the images! ]

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited August 02, 2001).]

IP:

peeeto
posted August 08, 2001 10:28 PM         
aww... no replies?!

you know - BLENDER: the freeware 3D modeler (and much more).

it slices! it dices!... actually, it's great for TM. you can export models to LWO format for TM (then texture in LithUnwrap). it has great NURBS modeling capability, and the latest version has mesh decimation (to reduce poly count).

on my list of things to do is a Tutorial on using Blender to create a custom liquid tank... no idea whan i'll get around to it, but i can help if anyone has questions...

IP:

Paranor
posted August 09, 2001 09:42 PM            
You wanna repeat that in plain english?

IP:

LordDrow
posted August 09, 2001 10:13 PM            
Have it, playing with it. But spending more time working on mods than playing with blender just now.

=MM=LordDrow

IP:

peeeto
posted August 10, 2001 10:13 AM         
Paranor: yeah - sorry about that

to make custom 3D objects in TreadMarks (TM), they need to be in Lightwave 5.x (LWO) format. Blender is a free 3D modeler that can export meshes in LWO format.

besides being able to model using constructive solid geometry (create a cylinder, create a box, join the two, create another cylinder, subtract this cylinder from the original object... you get the idea?), Blender has great NURBS capability.

NURBS = Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines. put into practice, it just offers very flexible control over the shape of an object. for example, you can create a NURBS Sphere, and then deform the sphere into many different shapes by using only a few control handles. very easy once you see how it's done.

finally, mesh decimation offers the ability to automatically reduce the "polycount" (the # of polygons which make up a mesh) of a model. you would probably want to keep the polycount of any TM object less than 500 polys...

also, (in case you are still reading this and havenít fallen asleep yet AND youíre actually interested ) mesh decimation is only 1 technique for reducing polycount... i have come across another method that seems to work well, and have some free software if you ever need it... i havenít used Blenderís decimation feature yet.

well, enough of my rambling... bottom line is, if you want to make 3D models or other 3D content, and you want some excellent software without spending thousands of dollars, Blender is for you!

IP:

STJR64
posted August 19, 2001 05:30 AM            
Anyone have any sample 3D models? Just so I can see how this program works and stuff--I've wanted to do 3D modelling for a while now but I opened Blender and found myself completely lost. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Scott Jr.

IP:

JVortex
posted August 19, 2001 03:42 PM            
im also completely lost w/ blender. im getting to know my way around the 3D world pretty good and can make some decent models. but blender has me completely lost. the polly reduction would be GREAT tho.

ive been using QSlim to do that but the problem is that with it you end up loosing all mapping info after the conversion. will you always loose all mapping info after a poly reduction? does the new blender loose all mapping info afterwards?

maybe i should learn how to use blender, i dunno?

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 19, 2001 05:41 PM         
keeping mapping information after a polygon reduction seems pretty much impossible... the program could only guess and would quite probably leave you doing a complete remap anyway.

IP:

Rex R
posted August 19, 2001 09:04 PM            
STJR64;
well you could copy some of the game meshes over to your blender folder, or you could try www.3dcafe.com (think thats the right addy) and look over their "free stuff". keep in mind tho that most of their stuff has 'srings' attached as to what you are allowed to do with it, read the license agrement. nother thing most (if not all)has a mighty high poly count
edit
yep thats the right addy. look for stuff with a .3ds extension, not max or prj

[This message has been edited by Rex R (edited August 19, 2001).]

IP:

peeeto
posted August 20, 2001 09:58 AM         
STJR64: for 3D models, visit 3DCafe.com look for the free stuff. Blender can inport DXF and possibly VRML 1.0 files. it can also import LWO files, but you need to install Python - see the Blender pages for more info.

keep in mind that the Python script that imports LWO's scales their size by a factor of 10. you can edit the script to disable that.

JV: yes, Blender is hell to learn. i have purchased the 2.0 Guide and the 1.8 Manual, and will post help whenever i can. i haven't received the 1.8 Manual yet, but i think that will be more helpful than the 2.0 Guide.

as far as whether or not you should take the time to learn it, another modeler might be better for small game models, like MilkShape3D.

also, whenever you change the # or arrangement of polygons, previous UV mapping will be lost, and you will need to re-map. the UV mapping in Blender is complicated, and i haven't figured it out yet. i don't know if it will even export to be read by other programs...

the Blender website has a Discussion forum, where other users are VERY helpful and quick to respond!

IP:

STJR64
posted August 23, 2001 11:30 PM            
Just out of pure curiosity, peeeto, how thick are these manuals?
It's not really important information, but it would give me somewhat of an idea to just how complicated this program really is.
~Scott Jr.

IP:

peeeto
posted August 23, 2001 11:41 PM         
well, the 2.0 guide is about 3/4 inch thick, and printed on good quality, rather thick paper... i'm not @ home, so i can't tell ya how many pages...

the 1.8 manual looks about as thick as well, as far as i can tell...

trust me - it is very difficult to learn! unless you have the time and a fast net cnxn to go through the tutorials on the website: a must, IMHO.

i'll try to get to the tutorial i'd like to do - that should cover most of the commands we'd be interested in for TM... writing the tut should be easier once i get the 1.8 manual

in the meantime, i'll help with what i can!

IP:

STJR64
posted November 28, 2001 11:51 PM            
Ok
How about we start off just by creating some simple shapes?
You know, cube, sphere, etc. just to get a feel for creating basic 3D shapes.
Thanks for the help

~Scott Jr.

IP:

peeeto
posted November 30, 2001 01:32 PM         
good idea, STJR64! this will be good for me to work on a tutorial in baby steps, since i can't seem to find the time to sit down & compile one! and i can see what issues & capabilities the TM community wants to know about.

[EDIT] i have started a new topic in the Art & Modeling Forum, the Blender / TreadMarks Workshop

see you there!

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited November 30, 2001).]

IP: