|
Author Topic:   MilkShape ?s
wolfman
posted July 29, 2001 11:12 PM            
Hi
I downloaded MilkShape3D 1.5.7 and I was going to try doing the tutorial. I downloaded a number of files from the same site that the tron tank came from. Files ending in .3ds and .max aren't recognized by the program and I haven't been able to find a program that use this format. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

IP:

Rex R
posted July 30, 2001 02:33 AM            
not having the program(your version,tried an earlier ver) I can't give a you a definative answer but, I seem to recall that milkshape was supposed to handle a number of formats. however, it does have some limits. no. 1 being how many polygons/faces a mesh has. I'm assuming that you are refering to the 3dcafe website? those meshes look very nice but have more poly's than most modeling programs can handle(found 1 that had more than 300k poly's)as for programs that can read/write .3ds files well, anim8or handles them pretty well(and it's free) you can get it from www.anim8or.com/ I believe that there are some low cost file converters also. HTH

IP:

wolfman
posted July 30, 2001 06:10 PM            
thanks - will try the program and play with it once I get the chance. Any other suggestions would be most appreciative.

IP:

Rex R
posted July 31, 2001 01:25 AM            
one other thought sprang to mind. lot of modeling programs require you to import object meshes that are not in its native file format(note milk shape the import function is on the file menu. for 3ds files look for 'autodesk')

IP:

peeeto
posted July 31, 2001 07:57 PM         
another thought: .max format is (i think) a proprietary format used by 3DStudioMax. most modeling prog's. (especially affordable ones ) cannot read those types of files.

i'm pretty sure that MilkShape3D can import 3DS files.

if you have a model that you are really interested in, i know someone who has 3DStudioVis, which can import MAX files and export them in 3DS...

IP:

KONG
posted October 22, 2001 12:26 AM            
Swift 3d

IP:

JVortex
posted October 22, 2001 04:32 AM            
both 3DS and MAX files are 3D Studio Max formats. im not sure what all will import and read max files, but both MS 3D and lith unwrap will read them. in MS 3D, like Rex said, its File -> import -> Autodesk 3DS

i would suggust staying away from max files and especially 3DS files if you can avoid it. i havent used 3D studio max much but i assume its something in the way the program works that causes models in that format to be very high polly. maybe its just really easy to make high polly shapes and join them so therefore people do it? i dont know. but the 3DS model files ive found around the net tend to be VERY high polly.

also 3DS files tend to loose their texture coordinate mapping when you go to convert them into another file format. its irritating. 3DS files also sometimes completely scramble your mapping or slam bits and pieces way off your grid. personally i suggust avoiding 3DS files all together and instead relying on obj files.

almost every 3D prog can handle obj files very well and loosing the texture mapping in a conversion is almost unheard of in my experience. aside from that obj files are normally lower polly for some reason. probably has to do w/ whatever file format obj is native to.

if you have a 3DS file that u need converted and cant manage it there is a way to do it that works like 90% of the time, its just hard to explain. if you would like to, feel free to email me a model that u need converted and ill gladly do it for ya.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm is coming... :)

IP:

Rex R
posted October 22, 2001 12:36 PM            
Re; max and high poly
think it stems from the fact that it is a relatively easy to 'smooth' the mesh and every time you do so you add polies. then there is the fact that most of the models I've seen look as though the person never heard of doing surfaces(maybe its hard to texture map in 'max' dunno)or perhaps these ppl are doing these meshes as part of a class project and surfaces are a no-no. whatever, it is clear those modelers are not making them with games in mind(or for that matter displaying more than 1 or 2 at a time)

IP: