|
Author Topic:   Rev 1.1 of Bonaparte Beauty Shot
LordDrow
posted June 30, 2001 04:16 AM            
Okay, already hard at work on what will hopefully be the final design for Bonapartes chassis. Bit more interesting looking, just hope I keep the poly count down low enough to be fast. Let me know what you think.

LD

IP:

Rex R
posted June 30, 2001 04:55 AM            
er um forget something? like the link (incase your posts get seperated) now on to the tank, oh now it begins to make some sense, you have a (simulated) articulation joint in there(wondered when the 1st pic looked like it had a serious toe-out problem) as for triangle count 500-700 is a good range to shoot for with a texture mapped tank(this includes the gun, turret and, hull) objects that are not uv mapped can go higher (somewhere in the 1-2k range, I think)

IP:

LordDrow
posted June 30, 2001 05:30 AM            
Yes, there is an articulation on the treads themselves in the original comic. Can't do that with TM, but I am trying for a fairly wide and stable platform from which to work. This is a short range tank killer. 240 mm cannon will be its standard weapon. 5 round capacity. In my inital tests, the tank performs well, especially considering my weapon of choice. The 240 only pushes it around a little, even when firing at a full on 90 degree angle to the chassis. I am hoping my revised chassis will retain the stability of the original design without having to use the major toe-out. I am now finalizing Beta 1.1 right now. Hopefully will be finished minus image-mapping sometime tomorrow.

IP:

LordDrow
posted June 30, 2001 05:32 AM            
Oh, and a reiteration of the location of the beauty shots. Head to:
http://members.home.net/sbentley23

From the main page, click on the images link. There is also another new Shot of Beta 1.1 with turret and barrel in place.

Hope ya'll like it.

LD

IP:

Neo
posted June 30, 2001 03:36 PM            
Not sure how high the tank is in relation to other tanks...I think Rex mentioned Y-axis, I'm assuming this is what he meant.

Make sure you don't make the turret so high that it shoots over and above other TM tanks. Otherwise the tank's weapons will be useless at close range, and especially useless with bolt-on weapons, particularly concussion, swarmer, MRL (although MRL useless at point-blank anyway), etc. Also, as Rex pointed out, it would make it tough to drive and also tough to see over/around...

Good luck, she looks interesting so far, I like the short barrel length, just hope it doesn't make it hard to aim.....

IP:

LordDrow
posted June 30, 2001 04:10 PM            
Actually, it seems to do pretty well. The main gun is the 240 mm cannon mod. The altitude drop makes it very effective. About the only turret mounted weaons that are useless are the lasers. Most other weapons are simply a matter of learning their most effective ranges when mounted on Bonaparte. The chassis is wide enough that it is very stable in broadside combat. Additionally, it is an extremely proficient climber.
I have been fairly busy with redesigns of the tank, building that quick little website and trying to learn about TM. If you want firsthand experience beyond mine about the initial tests, check with JV and LordByron. I am working with them extensively in the development and testing of Bonaparte.
You can expect to see some interesting stuff coming from my direction in the near future. Hope I can help get people really fired up about TM again.

LD

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 02, 2001 03:59 PM         
Once you can supply a final version of the model, I'd be happy to host it as a preview model at www.tmvr.de - the final tank, too, if you should wish so after it is finished.

IP:

LordDrow
posted July 02, 2001 04:28 PM            
Thanks for the offer Dreamer, I will probably take you up on it. Right now I am having major problems getting some of the polys on the redesigned model to show up on TM. I have gone through 2 revisions of the new model without much success in getting all of the polys to show up. Looks like a sad and partially invisible tank. Soon as I have that fixed and have some good skins for him, I will be releasing. Hopefully that will be later this week, depending on getting my poly problems fixed.

IP:

peeeto
posted July 02, 2001 11:02 PM         
what modeler(s) are you using, LD?

i just registered MilkShape 3D, and it looks like that you can select certain polys and reverse the normals of them (the TM engine does not display the backfaces of "metal" objects).

IP:

LordDrow
posted July 03, 2001 02:16 AM            
I am using a combination of lightwave 6.5 and a conversion proggie right now. My first version of the tank came out great, but the new one looks nice in my modeller, and hateful after importing to the game. Not sure just what the heck is going on. I doubt I have any reversed faces on the polys. I am still working like mad to figure out what is going on. Hopefully I will get this bug worked out soon. I really wanted to release this week.

LD

IP:

LordDrow
posted July 03, 2001 02:24 AM            
Just figured out what my bug is. Have to convert all polygons to triangles before saving to final! DOH!!!! Damned silly of me. Well now that I know my problem, I will be contacting Matrix to see what he can come up with for a skin. Will be releasing as soon as I have the final ready to go folks! Thanks for all the encouragement and help so far from everyone.

LD

IP:

Rex R
posted July 03, 2001 02:54 AM            
um you're using 'LW' to make your tank more friendly to TM you should ensure that all triangles have no more than or les than three(3) points. tm gets kinda snippy about this(oh it will load and display models that contain those kind of triangles, see the Aero tank, but it will fill up a tank/server log with,"model contains a triangle with more than 3 points..." when it loads the model).

IP:

peeeto
posted July 03, 2001 02:11 PM         
don't forget that LithUnwrap contains a tool to triangulate your model & to remove doubles. it's always a good idea to optimize your models first, before you map them, in LithUnwrap.

IP:

peeeto
posted July 03, 2001 02:14 PM         
LD: you model in LW, then use a converter?

you should be able to save directly from LW, and not have to go through the extra step of conversion.

however, AFAIK, TM will not accept a LW 6.x model. the model has to be LW 5.x...

IP:

LordDrow
posted July 03, 2001 02:24 PM            
Thats exactly why I use the converter, I don't have a backwards compatible save choice. It only saves to LW 6.5 conventions. TM doesn't seem to like LW 6.5 models at all. So I have to wash it through a conversion program to drop it to an earlier .lwo version. I do remember to triple in LithUnwrap, but I didn't realize that the optimise did polygon removal. I thought it just removed point.

Thanks for the info and all the suggestions folks. You know, this seems to be one of the best and most helpful gaming communities I have run into. You folks are great!

Thanks,

LD

IP: