|
Author Topic:   3DS Question
JVortex
posted April 12, 2001 02:39 PM            
anybody know how to texture a 3DS model? i cant figure it out.
(and also so that coax wouldnt be the only one starting topics here )

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! (Under Heavy Construction) Beware of the non-Tread Marks areas, they have pop up adds, AAHHHH!!!!!

IP:

peeeto
posted April 12, 2001 02:40 PM         
JV - use Lithium's UnWrapper to generate a UV map to texture 3DS models.

IP:

JVortex
posted April 12, 2001 02:50 PM            
ok, i kno how to use the unwrapper, im pretty good with that. but how do u then convert a luv file to use with a 3DS file. is there some way to import it?
oh, or do u mean to open a 3DS file into the unwrapper then luv map it?
guess i should have been more specific. i need to texture (add material?) to the 3DS file itself.
there is a 3D exporter i got ahold of for web use to display 3D meshes on web pages. its rather like VRML but better i think (if i can figure out how to work the program anyhow). so what i really need to do is be able to add the texture to the TM weapons in a 3DS format as a single file. i think that makes sense

IP:

peeeto
posted April 12, 2001 03:10 PM         
i did this kind of thing once using 3DExploration... but my demo copy expired and i don't think that the expired version will work with textures...

i know that UnWrapper will save a model (and the UV data) as a .3ds file - then i think the only remaining issue is to "inform" the .3ds file which bitmap you would like to have as the bitmap. i suggest you ask Lithium if there is a way to insert the bitmap reference into the .3ds file, using a binary editor or something...

good luck!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 12, 2001 04:13 PM            
since this topic is active. I'll ask my question here How do i save the picure a POV file makes into a bmp or jpg?

------------------
TM Bios

[This message has been edited by coax (edited April 12, 2001).]

IP:

peeeto
posted April 12, 2001 04:27 PM         
sorry coaxs, i saw your question & intended to respond... i don't think that POV can create .jpg images... only .tga from what i remember.

you would need to convert the .tga to .jpg in another program. the free program GIMP would probably be best for this.

there's another powerful freeware package called 'Display'. i think it's a DOS program, though, and i think that i tried to use it a few years ago with no luck...

and when you ask how to convert to a "mp" format, what do you mean? .mpg movie?
to do that, you would also need a conversion program. i know that 'Display' would do it, and i used to use a program called "Fast Movie Processor" to make .mpg's. FMP is no longer in development, and i don't know if the new project by the same author(s) is free... but i have a copy of FPM if you need...

maybe others know of other freeware .mpg file utilities?

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 12, 2001 07:41 PM         
For image conversion - Irfanview (freeware) or PSP {Paint Shop Pro}, if you can find a 4.x or even 3.x version somewhere on the net - those don't expire.

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 12, 2001 07:42 PM         
JVortex -which program do you mean? Can you post a link? I'd be more than interested.

IP:

JVortex
posted April 12, 2001 08:03 PM            
Peeeto: i have 3D exploration on here (which is a GREAT program btw). how can u do it from there?

Dreamer: the program is called cult3D at http://www.cult3d.com and it does all kinds of stuff. the free version lets u rotate your model and zoom in and out on it plus a few other things.
the full version lets u do a LOT more that i would probably never use. i havent entirely figured out how to use it yet tho. things like animation with different user input and lighting effets and i dont even kno what all.
to view the cult3D files u need a small plugin added into your browser.

coax: stay out of my topic! LOL, j/k. couldnt resist.

oh ya, almost forgot... anybody know how to get ahold of lithium? email, ICQ or whatever?
------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! (Under Heavy Construction) Beware of the non-Tread Marks areas, they have pop up adds, AAHHHH!!!!!

[This message has been edited by JVortex (edited April 12, 2001).]

IP:

peeeto
posted April 12, 2001 10:41 PM         
JV: i think you need 3DX ver 1.6+
-load a .3ds file into 3DX that's been UV'd in UnWrapper (make sure Render--->Materials--->Show_Textures is enabled)
-in the Objects List window, double-click the texture and in the dialog box that pops up, assign the bitmap you want to use for the texture.
-re-save the file as .3ds format

i think that will work.

and to find Lithium's email, look at the end of the readme file that comes with UnWrapper.

IP:

Rex R
posted April 13, 2001 02:16 AM            
heheh jv I've been using a different route for uvmapping etc. by using zmodeler & anim8or(&mapper). if you want more details I can send those via e-mail. could you not use milkshape to map/export from your original mesh(or did you map it using mapper)

IP:

JVortex
posted April 13, 2001 04:00 AM            
whats 3DX?

and i use milkshape on here a lot, but i dont kno how to map on it either .

i have all the modeling basics down, im just no good at all this technical crap

IP:

Rex R
posted April 13, 2001 04:27 AM            
sorry guess I misread your earlier post I'll try a few things and see if I can get it to work 1 question tho bout the 'display' prog does it use glide or direct x. I believe peeeto was using 3dx as an abbriviation for 3-d explorer

IP:

peeeto
posted April 13, 2001 09:05 AM         
right-o RexR

IP:

JVortex
posted April 13, 2001 02:45 PM            
ill try that bit with 3D explorer when i get a chance.

and im not sure which display prog youre asking about (3d explorer or cult3D) but im using openGL for explorer and i really dont kno what cult3D uses.

IP:

peeeto
posted April 13, 2001 03:45 PM         
Rex: Display is only for 2D files, so i don't think it uses either glide or opengl.

IP:

JVortex
posted April 13, 2001 08:48 PM            
peeeto, the texture that u sent works great. i think i have too old of a version of 3DX to do the bitmap import. the help file sort of claims that it cant do it. what version are u running? im upgrading to version 1.7 now so ill see if that lets me do it. thanks all so much for the help on this. i just hope i can get my final idea to work out right.

on a side note here, since we r talking about 3D viewers, if anybody is after a good 2D pict viewer i strongly suggest everyone should have IrfanView. it is a great very small and fast loading viewer that supports almost any image type and has full support of wav and video files. its way worth looking into (and its free!) at www.irfanview.com

IP:

JVortex
posted April 13, 2001 09:42 PM            
ok, i just tried it w/ version 1.7 and its the same as w/ 1.5. it wont let me load in a new texture. the browse button is greyed out... also w/ 1.7 the file you (peeeto) sent no longer gets displayed w/ the texture but is grey standard instead. what am i doing wrong here? how after clicking the browser default, do i then browse to import a texture for the mesh?

IP:

Dreamer
posted April 13, 2001 11:46 PM         
I can change textures in 3DX, btw. (ver 1.7)
In the "objects list" tree, I dclick on any material and select ny texture I want in the maps tab.
But then again, maybe that's disabled in the demo version?

IP:

JVortex
posted April 14, 2001 01:11 AM            
this is getting frusterating... now the texture wont display in either 1.5 (full version) or 1.7 (demo). no matter what i do that stupid browse button refuses to become active. im at a loss, is there a setting somewhere else i need to tinker w/ to make the browse button activate?

IP:

JVortex
posted April 22, 2001 06:29 PM            
I DID IT!!! ok, its all figured out. there was a simple setting in 3DX that had to be unchecked was all. thanks for the help guys, hopefully now i can make some progress.

IP: