|
Author Topic:   LDA update?
peeeto
posted March 30, 2001 01:36 PM         
so, what have LDA's artists been up to lately?

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted March 30, 2001 03:21 PM            
With Rival Ball done we are back to Tread Marks PS2 related artwork.

Essentially the graphics are being reworked to run fast and look good on the PS2 and a television screen.

The textures will be 8-bit (256 color) and checked against NTSC standards. The PS2 handles palletized textures nicely, so we don't anticipate problems, except perhaps for sky-boxes which have fine gradients of shading (much nicer at 16-bit or true color) These will need some extra work.

Maps will be redesigned for a deathmatch progression style of play. The maps will be DM only, with a few dedicated race-only maps such as "Tank Luge" and In "The Ring".

Tanks will be remodeled with moving treads. Trees, shrubs and tall grasses will be polygonal objects, and we'll add fixed installations such as pillboxes, plus some extra goodies that won't be mentioned yet.

....Lots of extra objects to add to the maps...

As we will be prototyping all changes on the PC prior to porting to the PS2, we will be well on our way towards a TM2 engine and game.

Jim

IP:

peeeto
posted March 30, 2001 04:55 PM         
awesome! sounds like you're implementing alot of concepts i've asked Tom about (pillboxes, etc...)

one very interesting thing you should (imho) also consider is object that you can drive over, like bridges and ramps...

IP:

Rex R
posted March 31, 2001 02:08 AM            
heheh ya gonna have guns in those pillboxes? sort of a course hazard...

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted March 31, 2001 03:37 AM            
Yes, and yes...a serious course hazard...

Plus, we'll be experimenting with having the tanks carry a weapon on each hard-point ...which <cough> will require more armor...

Jim

IP:

Rex R
posted March 31, 2001 04:21 AM            
neat and ah guess will have to wait and see the tank/hardpoints. rekon I/we will just have to adapt to the added improvements

IP:

peeeto
posted March 31, 2001 12:34 PM         
note: Jim - don't forget to add the option of turning off any of the new stuff (i.e. carrying more than one weapon) so that a server can run a "TM Classic" mod in future versions!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 31, 2001 06:47 PM            
can we beta test the new changes? Or is it going to be a CTF thing where you make it, and changes are made along the way?

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted March 31, 2001 07:37 PM            
I haven't decided yet about beta testing...

...technical reasons more than anything...

Jim

IP:

JVortex
posted March 31, 2001 08:22 PM            
well well well, happiness abounds!

IP: