This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   LDA Plans
LDA
Administrator
posted June 03, 2005 09:50 AM            
We’ll be launching the web pages for our new game “Hegemony: Philip of Macedon” which is built on our new 3D game engine.

For this, we plan to run a new database driven bulletin board (any suggestions as to which one to use?) and can either transfer the content from this BBS into the new database or retain it as an archival link. (Comments?).

We plan to get involved in discussions about the new game and engine, which is built on DirectX 9 with Radeon-9200 and Gforce-3 cards as the minimum graphics hardware.

We’ll also be looking to form a beta-test group as things progress. (Comments?)

In the future we could also rebuild Tread Marks using this engine, although it can’t be the priority, for various reasons, including that we’re quite enjoying the historically based wargame approach.

Jim

IP:

KiLlEr
posted June 03, 2005 01:25 PM            
You're better off just refering to this BBS as an archival link and making the transfer of contents issue a "nice to have" feature. This way, it opens much more possibilities into selecting the best BBS software. You don't want to end up with a mediocre package just because its the only one into which you can transfer the contents of this forum.

you may want to look at VBulletin ( http://www.vbulletin.com/ ) which is nice, but you need to pay for a liscence which gives you the advantage of 24/7 support.

My Webhost recomends either:

phpBB2 ( http://www.phpbb.com/ )
SMF ( http://www.simplemachines.org/ )

SMF has the fastest DB access around and is the #1 on my webhosts recomendation.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited June 03, 2005).]

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted June 03, 2005 05:13 PM            
I think we'll end up going with the phpbb one.

Jim

IP:

KONG
posted June 03, 2005 08:26 PM            
I agree with Killer. Simple machines is a much better forum package

IP:

jujaga
posted June 03, 2005 09:33 PM         
I personally like the mvn forum system at http://www.mvnforum.com . I don't have much info, but I personally like it. It's worth looking at.

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! TI-89T!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus :D Firefox 1.0.4 Rocks!!!

IP:

Skull Man
posted June 04, 2005 09:34 AM            
quote:
For this, we plan to run a new database driven bulletin board (any suggestions as to which one to use?)

phpbb phpbb PHPBB!!!!! Free, lot's of options and just excelent!

quote:
...and can either transfer the content from this BBS into the new database or retain it as an archival link. (Comments?)

A clean new board would been sweet. And if necessary, transfer old notes and "stickies"; like mods for TM, weapons, guides, tips, hints etc. for the other games also. Need help sorting out?

I also support the idea of retaining the (current) old board as an archival link.

quote:
We’ll also be looking to form a beta-test group as things progress. (Comments?)

Give people their freedom!

A betatesting group sounds so... fixed.

When there's a pre-release of a game, (aka a beta version), anyone who want should be free to test and send feedback, bugs, suggestions etc. back to LDA, in my opinion

[This message has been edited by Skull Man (edited June 04, 2005).]

IP:

coaxs
posted June 04, 2005 01:27 PM            
I will also have to agree with Kong and Killer. Simplemachines is a much better package in general, super fast, and plus I'm familiar with the software.

Beta-testing sounds good, count me in.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

pablito
posted June 05, 2005 11:53 AM            
Congrats in your web page launch!... I will be checking it out as soon as I see it.
I agree with most replies, mainly using newer software and then try to implement the old, or just link to it.
Beta group sounds cool, (count me in if you want to) but also agree with skullman, allow *others to play and send some feed back.= most beta testers wannabes' are very good players, you must also think in the little people
*(properly registered players).
quote:
... the new game and engine, which is built on DirectX 9 with Radeon-9200 and Gforce-3 cards as the minimum graphics hardware. In the future we could also rebuild Tread Marks using this engine, although it can’t be the priority, for various reasons...
COOL!

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted June 05, 2005 12:16 PM            
www.ldagames.com/hegemony

Jim

IP:

jujaga
posted June 05, 2005 03:54 PM         
OOOh... shiny! @_@

IP:

pablito
posted June 05, 2005 10:08 PM            
ahh, didn't realize the link was on the main page of LDA.
The game seems cool! (like command call to specific soldiers?)

IP:

Skull Man
posted June 06, 2005 04:46 AM            
Yeah, I saw the trailer, sweet!

Have you made the sounds for the game yet?

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted June 06, 2005 07:07 AM            
The control of units is at the brigade level.

Each unit represents 50 combat troops, so a brigade of 1000 hoplites will be made up of 20 units.

Brigades of the same unit type can be combined into super-brigades, which makes it easier to control them in battle lines and on the march.

We haven't done any sound yet... That's another of Philippe's jobs.

Jim

IP:

KiLlEr
posted June 06, 2005 09:26 AM            
I wouldn't mind giving that a shot as a beta tester.

If you need any more, count me in.

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted June 06, 2005 09:47 AM            
Beta testing will probably start sometime in August.

When we've tooled up the new forum, I'll start giving frequent status reports. We'll get a core group involved as soon as it's feasible.

Jim

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 06, 2005 11:14 AM            
Glad to see the fruits of your hard work coming together. If you need an additional beta tester when ready count me in.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

Skull Man
posted June 06, 2005 04:06 PM            
Fine. I guess that's the best for the team...

IP:

jujaga
posted June 06, 2005 09:07 PM         
Will the new forum have Avatars? Me like avatars!

------------------

IP:

Skull Man
posted June 07, 2005 10:06 AM            
phpbb have support for avatars and images in the signature

IP:

jujaga
posted June 07, 2005 08:13 PM         
Yay! O, an idea, how about if you have an avatar on RBT, you can have it synch up with the forum so you have the same avatar? Just another idea, dunno if it can be done, but still a good idea.

------------------

IP:

Rick
Administrator
posted June 08, 2005 01:11 PM            
Hey, I'm Rick, the newest employee at LDA and the person in charge of revamping the site.

It's looking very likely that we'll go with phpBB; I've been auditing the source code to see if it will work with our other plans for the site, and it's looking good.

And yes, phpBB supports avatars. I don't know about syncing them with the RBT avatars, though. Some people might want a different avatar, and there's some technical difficulties behind it. I'll keep it in mind, though; it would sort of fit the whole "philosophy" of the new site.

IP:

=DNX= Ni
posted June 08, 2005 02:02 PM            
Hi Rick! I don't have much to offer right now other than 'welcome' and hope all goes smoothly. 'bout time we hid avataws heayaw!

IP:

Teulk
posted June 08, 2005 02:38 PM            
Welcome aboard--nice to see a new face on the board as well--lots of luck with the new project--lots of people hanging in awe and wonder I am sure!!

IP:

Skull Man
posted June 08, 2005 04:23 PM            
Hi Rick!

Welcome to the forums--glad to see a new member has joined the company!

Looking forward to the new forums and a revamped site as well

Best wishes for the future!

IP:

Teulk
posted June 08, 2005 06:21 PM            
Nice to see another Toronto poster on the board---Viva Canada!!!!

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2