|
Author Topic:   XP SP2 - anyone tried it yet?
Sailor
Administrator
posted August 12, 2004 01:39 PM            
Since it has been released just wondering if any brave soles have tried installing and using it yet. Others here at work that have installed it have not had any issues yet, but then again who knows what it will do to gaming. No one is gaming at work (that we know of anyway).

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

KONG
posted August 12, 2004 07:46 PM            
quote:
The best way to get Windows XP Service Pack 2 is by using the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP. Visit the Protect Your PC site to let us turn it on for you or follow three manual steps—either way you’ll get Service Pack 2 automatically as Microsoft releases it. Turning on Automatic Updates today allows your PC to begin downloading important updates automatically, including the latest version of Windows Update. It also ensures you will receive future updates, such as Service Pack 2.

I don't like this. I think that if you bought your copy of xp from someone or from a flea market. Even if it came with an official sticker with a cd key you might not want to install this service pack. It is pretty obvious that they want to install this update without you knowing what is in it. Or am I just being paranoid? I have heard from quite a few people that should know, sp2 will invalidate any corporate keys that are being used illegally.

I plan to wait and see if bad things happen b4 I download and install this update. Who knows what else they might have put in there?

either way, windows xp will probably be the last windows OS that I buy.

------------------
All truth goes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident.

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited August 12, 2004).]

IP:

KONG
posted August 12, 2004 08:28 PM            
here are a few things to read http://www.itworld.com/Comp/4063/040810usersreport/
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17757
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1590430,00.asp
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17010

read this if you are going to install and do not want to dload it again if your system should need to be re-installed.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

IP:

Rex R
posted August 13, 2004 01:10 AM            
I saw that bit about let us blah blah, and was thinking; I turned that bit OFF for a reason (if playing tm, it kicks me out of the game)

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 17, 2004 01:29 PM            
The Windows site has a list of some 50+ games/software products with which the SP2 interfers.

IP:

Rex R
posted August 19, 2004 01:09 AM            
was amused to see AOL v9 on the list

IP:

KONG
posted August 22, 2004 01:05 PM            
seems they have a new version of windows update, if you install it you "must" have automatic updating running in order to get any of the updates to install online. Of course the first update they throw at you is the sp2 update. Unless you are really paranoid about security, I wouldn't suggest installing sp2 until some fixes come out for the apps that get busted...

------------------
All truth goes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident.

IP:

Karldar
posted August 24, 2004 09:46 AM            
Hmm, think I might have dl'd SP2 on my wife's comp, but I don't think she's used it yet. I'll keep an eye(or two) on it.

IP:

Rex R
posted August 31, 2004 01:03 PM            
well 6 hrs later I have sp2 installed(start to finish 77.3 mb). biggest things I've found; a)you have to 'unblock' tm, b) you get an info bar when pop-ups try to, c) spam dl's alot quicker when most of the pics are blocked .
edit
got it by using windows update page (after midnite)

[This message has been edited by Rex R (edited August 31, 2004).]

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted August 31, 2004 01:09 PM            
I guess the more correct question is does it cause any issues with things like the TMapper software or other software used for modding TM. I enjoy building maps!!!

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

Rex R
posted August 31, 2004 01:33 PM            
offhand I'ld guess that if said software does not have dealings with the 'net then there should be no probs(poss if you do online updates via the program)

IP:

Teulk
posted September 05, 2004 11:01 PM            
My auto updates is activated, and, the update balloon is visible on my taskbar---yet when I try to dld the update, nothing happens...
I realise I could go to the site itself...but the autoupdate SHOULD work--shouldn't it??

Not that I'm in an all-fired up rush to GET it, since most I know have shied AWAY from it at the moment....which I don't really understand in the first place..

[This message has been edited by Teulk (edited September 05, 2004).]

IP:

KONG
posted September 05, 2004 11:35 PM            
"the update balloon "

Oh no! like the evil paperclip

IP:

Teulk
posted September 06, 2004 12:17 AM            
Does that mean paperclip beats balloon?

[This message has been edited by Teulk (edited September 06, 2004).]

IP:

Rex R
posted September 06, 2004 12:36 PM            
what time did you set for retrieving the updates? and is the comp on and connected to the net at that time? mine was set for 3am(guessing default)I reset that to to 1am.

IP:

Teulk
posted September 06, 2004 04:03 PM            
Same, same and same........PC's been on since I last posted, and nothing has happened yet!!
And that damnable balloon is just sitting there and staring at me--laughing undoubtedly as well---
MAN I HATE THAT!!

IP:

KONG
posted September 06, 2004 04:43 PM            
Bwaaahaaaaaaaaaa!

bow to your balloon god! You will wait on me hand and foot!

------------------

IP:

KONG
posted September 06, 2004 04:45 PM            
"nothing has happened yet"

And how do you know this? Isn't it automatic?

------------------

IP:

Teulk
posted September 06, 2004 06:10 PM            
Supposed to be--however, the version has remained the same---therefore--nothing has happened as of yet...
I bow to NO-ONE!!!
(Especially the Balloon God!!)

IP:

Rex R
posted September 07, 2004 01:45 AM            
fergot ifn you mentioned it but, have you rebooted? er mayhap it hasn't finished dl.ing yet(its a big dl, depending on your box, read someone type 200mb)

[This message has been edited by Rex R (edited September 07, 2004).]

IP:

Teulk
posted September 07, 2004 07:04 PM            
PC's been on for 48 hours already (or still--if you like), and still nothing has happened. When I stand the cursor over the balloon, the message that comes up is
" downloading updates 0%"
Been like that for the last week--at least--

IP: