|
Author Topic:   lasers
rcy
posted August 08, 2004 04:08 PM         
Why does the laser machine gun make a sound? Is there some internal mechanism? Cos as far as I know, lasers don't make sounds. And please, don't give a moronic answer, i've had a bad day and i'm at witts end!

Also, on another note, if you listen carefully, you can kinda hear a zzzzzzzz sound between the burst sound.

[This message has been edited by rcy (edited August 08, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by rcy (edited August 08, 2004).]

IP:

Rex R
posted August 09, 2004 01:25 AM            
high power lasers when 'fired' in an atmosphere do make a zzzap sound. this is caused by heating of atmospheric gasses in the beams path (as lightning does).

IP:

rcy
posted August 09, 2004 02:30 PM         
But what creates the burst sounds? Some kind of oscillator in the gun?

IP:

Rex R
posted August 10, 2004 01:22 AM            
could be. or it could be a chem laser and the odd noise could be the sound of the reactants combining

IP:

rcy
posted August 10, 2004 02:00 PM         
Maybe, but chem lasers need tons of chemicals, and they're invisible. Probably a gas laser, they've already created hand held energy weps. I dunno if you heard of it, but it's called the TIS-1 it's a gas dynamic laser. It uses a pre-heating chamber to excite the gasses. When the trigger is released, the gas is released into a lasing chamber at mach 1! There it is instantly stopped and the molecules freeze in place. This allows lasing. The gas is then accelerated to mach 5! Where it enters another laser chamber where the gas is deverted and the laser bounces between mirrors. So what we're probably hearing is the gas being accelerted!

[This message has been edited by rcy (edited August 10, 2004).]

IP:

rcy
posted August 26, 2004 01:54 AM         
On another note, it could be really powerful flash bulbs discharging. Flash bulbs make that kind of sound. The reason is because solid state lasers are the only ones that can be miniturized.
www.futurehorizons.net These people have already created a ruby laser pistol that runs of 8 D-sized batteries. This bad boy can spit out 3 joules of light energy!!!!!!!

BTW, that TIS-1 was a hoax.

IP:

pablito
posted August 26, 2004 12:56 PM            
wow! did you see the Sonic Devestator(riot control)?????? that's what they're using in some parts of the world to scare riots... of course with higher power... but... forget the shot-guns... get you laser-gun! for real. That also looks like an upgraded prototype, I can't imagine a couple of years from now..... I read about 6 months ago the anti-plane gigantic laser-ground the Israeli and US army were building.... all signals are in the atmosphere now: radio, tv, infrared, satellite, etc, etc... I don't care what my teachers say; you put all those waves in the environment; some molecules are going to get pissed off and start a chain reaction lol.

IP:

pablito
posted August 26, 2004 12:58 PM            
by the way, those plasma sabers rule!!!

IP:

coaxs
posted September 03, 2004 07:03 PM            
It won't start a chain reaction the wavelenghts of tv signals are not on the same wavelength as air molecules.

IP:

rcy
posted September 24, 2004 01:14 PM         
On another note. It could be a Tesla style Death Ray! Tesla invented a particle beam that could destroy whole squadrons of air planes!!!!!! The particle beam is like a laser, firing concentrated Electro-magnetic energy. Star Wars uses the same thing. First, the beam is generated, then accelerated to near the speed of light!

The basic blaster technology of intensifying a beam of light into a deadly bolt is scalable, and largely the same despite the differences in weapon types and sizes. The interior mechanisms of a tiny hold-out blaster, a blaster pistol, a large blaster rifle, and a turbolaser cannon are based on the same theories and principles. A squeeze of a trigger emits volatile blaster gas into a conversion chamber, where it is excited by energy from the weapon's power source. The agitated gas is then funneled through the actuating blaster module, where it is processed into an intense particle beam. A prismatic crystal focuses the beam, and passes it through a refinement chamber which "galvens" the beam into its final bolt.

[This message has been edited by rcy (edited September 24, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by rcy (edited September 24, 2004).]

IP:

KiLlEr
posted September 27, 2004 12:19 PM            
The zzzz sound can also be the armor evaporating.

IP:

coaxs
posted September 27, 2004 04:12 PM            
The ound is from the laser frying the aim molecules around it. If it is powerful enough to damage a tank it is powerful enough to :zizzle: the air around it.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP: