|
Author Topic:   LAN testing of?
Rex R
posted November 10, 2002 03:22 AM            
does windoze include any tools for testing network performance (curious about data transfer speed)

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 10, 2002 03:51 AM            
Not that I'm aware of. The best tool that I like is NetPerSec (free).
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1735,00.asp

Going to send the file to you via email...

IP:

Rex R
posted November 10, 2002 04:30 AM            
just recieved the file will have a look later (in my copious free time, still have to fix a coocoo clock) on a somewhat related note, the other day I was running a server on 1 box tother box was getting a ping of 48, then just for fun tried joining a game and the ping was 28. not sure how things are today, had to install dx7 on the old box to get (name of non-tm game omitted) running. does sound odd to have tm running on two boxes in the same room

IP:

Rex R
posted November 12, 2002 02:04 AM            
tried out the proggy, after copying a 40mb file (both ways) it said I had an average throughput of 650kb/sec. also fixed the clock(well cleaned oiled 2 clocks, fixed 1). was kinda interesting watching net usage while running a tm server.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 12, 2002 04:50 AM            
Glad it worked out fer yah!! If you need anymore stuff, you know what to do...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 12, 2002 04:51 AM            
BTW...I guess yer running TCP/IP? Have you thought about using NetBUEI? It's a much faster/robust protocol.

Forgot to ask what OS yer using/abusing.

[This message has been edited by BamZipPow (edited November 12, 2002).]

IP:

Rex R
posted November 12, 2002 12:02 PM            
win95 & win xp ( windoze notworking )

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 12, 2002 11:16 PM            
Doh...XP doesn't support NetBUEI. Guess you'll just have to stick with TCP/IP.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 12, 2002 11:27 PM            
What type of NICs are you using? Realtek chipsets based?

Yer numbers seem kinda low. Running Sandra 2003, I get 9692kbs network bandwidth. Have you tested yer network with SiSoft Sandra 2003? Give it a shot and report back the numbers...
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/

IP:

Rex R
posted November 13, 2002 01:32 AM            
running a 10mbs isa card (netgear model ea201c) in the old box (which kinda puts a crimp in going real fast)

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 13, 2002 01:52 AM            
Doh... I'd figured you would have a 10/100 card in there. Unless you don't have a PCI slot to work with. Those cards can be found for around $5 or less with rebates.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 13, 2002 01:54 AM            
Forgot to ask again...

Does the comp (with the ISA NIC) have any working USB ports? You can update Win95 to activate the USB ports. They do make some USB 10/100 adapters. I picked one up for aobut $6.

Then again...you could just switch over to Linux...but the USB NIC won't work in that.

[This message has been edited by BamZipPow (edited November 13, 2002).]

IP:

Rex R
posted November 13, 2002 03:02 AM            
well lets see win 95b and usb ports... had all sorts of fun and games sorting out IRQ's wound up pulling the modem out of it. there could well be some things goofy since I had to setup that end of the lan manualy(no wizards for win95 availible, that I know of). but since the lan is mainly so I can share the printer( tm works nicely) and rescue files as needed, I'll settle for what I can get.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 13, 2002 02:02 PM            
Okay...

Found a 10/100 ISA (yes, ISA!!) NIC made by 3Com for only $16 plus S&H. That's a real good nab if you are inclined to upgrade and don't have a spare PCI slot.
http://www.encoreshop.com/nic-3c515-tx-bk.html

IP:

Rex R
posted November 14, 2002 02:17 AM            
right, ran sandra. it said (paraphrased) you are a cheap buzzard, go out a buy a 'real' NIC(got an error, packet size to big), also some more ram and replace all of the existing with faster ram. did find a 'goof' it reccomened changing my spool settings...on the network printer, which would likely mean that the lan could no longer use it.
think I'll stay with current setup, thanks for looking, if I went with a faster NIC I'ld have to buy a new hub too (current one is 10 Mbs) oh well, think I've learned more about lan's than I really wanted to(thanks Bill). such is life

IP: