|
Author Topic:   Halloween Costumes
coaxs
posted October 29, 2002 11:40 PM            
Just wondering if anyone had any creative costumes this year or prior?

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted October 30, 2002 11:47 PM            
Jon is Ash Ketcham, Pokemon trainer
Ben is a firefighter
David is a wizare
I will be a wench, if I get the vest part of the costume finished tonight

IP:

KiLlEr
posted October 31, 2002 12:10 AM            
Hey, if you ware an ape suit under that would you be a monkey wench?

IP:

wolfman
posted October 31, 2002 07:31 PM            
lmao Nice Killer nice. I asked my son not too long ago what he was going as - his reply with a look of duh towards me - was I will be a Ninja again. lol JT

IP:

peeeto
posted November 06, 2002 09:10 AM         
my wife LOVES halloween! she thinks up the craziest costumes... and i like figuring out how to make them work (i just had a bunch of coffee and am at the office a little early, so i'll tell ya bout them)

one year, i had to be out of town, but she wanted to be a stoplight... so the night before i left town, we made the body out of a large box & painted it yellow like the lights here in NYS. i rigged up red, yellow & green electric lights in the front for her, and she had a switch to change which light was on! (although the 6V battery was heavy, it mounted easily inside of the box). the cutest thing was the cap she made, same color as the box, and a bunch of wires poking out the top!

another halloween, she went as a mermaid, and i was a fisherman (we hand-made the mermaid tail - it came out great! turns out i'm really good at sewing )

another year, we attended a halloween wedding, where all the guests were asked to come in costume (really fun wedding, by the way - the bride was dressed up like a princess, the groom like a knight, the bridesmaids were ladies-in-waiting, the groomsmen looked like robinhood's "merry men", the priest was friar tuck , and the parents were kings & queens)
we went as fireflies... we made insect butts out of a sheer green fabric (stiffened with some fabric-stiffening product), and i fashioned some brackets inside with wire hangars. found some small, personal safety strobe lights at radio shack and put them inside the butts. my wife wore a fancy gown she got at a vintage clothing store, and modified for the occasion, and i actually rented a double-tailed tux (the butt stuck out perfectly between the tails). oh yeah - more sewing - we made the wings with stiff wire & tule. and of course we had antennae - mine were poking out of the top of my top-hat.

THEN, she had the inspiration to go as "fire". WTF?! i thought... how we gonna do THAT!? it turned out really cute - she got a little red dress, painted flames on it with fabric paint & glitter, as well as the high-heeled shoes & the long red gloves, and did her hair up & make-up wildly. i made a slim "backpack" for her, that was decorated like her dress, and carried a plastic container (with a lid) for water and dry-ice. short, clear plastic tubes were stuck through the top of the lid to allow the "smoke" to escape while keeping sloshing water inside. that actually worked out really well, because the tubes projected the vapor up & out - much further than if the lid was off. the smoke effect would last a good 15 minutes at a time.
i went as a fireman

that one was alot of fun - we went out to a bar after the party, and she got alot of attention... some said that she would have won the costume contest if we'd gotten there earlier.

this year, we took a break & recycled the mermaid & fisherman gig, because we need to get an early start on next year's costumes... she now wants to be a peacock, with the tail-feathers & everything! (OK OK, i tried to explain that the flashy birds are the males, and the females are actually plain, but "peackocks are pretty, and that's what she wants to be" ) i know that she just wants to kick a$$ at the costume contest.

so, now i have to figure out how to make the tailfeathers operate correcly (and don't fall off after 5 minutes)... making these things takes alot of time, so we'll need the lead-time before next halloween!

<peeeto goes to get a refill...>

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted November 06, 2002 02:11 PM            
One of the favorite costumes I have seen (and helped a friend make) was a last minute one. She thought to be a cat burgler. She bought some light wood and fashioned a window out of it. I made some curtains for the window. She dressed all in black and wore the window around herself, as if she were climbing into it.

IP:

Rex R
posted November 07, 2002 02:20 AM            
peeeto after being awakened early morning at a campground that had peafowl(noisy birds) might I suggest a lite weight fabric done up in a fanfold(triangular sections ala a paper fan)

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 07, 2002 03:13 AM            
Or you could run over to Pier 1 Imports and get one of those large decorative wall fans to model it after. Of course I'd guess you'd want it to open/close at will...

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted November 07, 2002 04:27 PM            
Personally, I think the holographic projection plan will work best. You won't have to worry about getting the tail hung up on anything at the pub. You have a whole year, so get cracking!

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 07, 2002 04:57 PM            
Another option would be mass hypnosis. Then you don't need to make a costume.

IP:

coaxs
posted November 07, 2002 06:04 PM            
You will also need to create a levitating device since birds can fly.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 07, 2002 08:14 PM            
Your forgetting, we're in the matrix.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 08, 2002 03:12 AM            
I went as a playstation 2, blue EL line around the midrif n everything. and depite all the techno enhancements and all the willing in the world.... i still couldnt play games properly

IP: