|
Author Topic:   Help a po' ol' Treadhead down on his luck...
Karldar
posted September 23, 2002 10:06 PM            
I'll try to make this the short sob story version .

K, I upgraded my Win98 machine to Win2K. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I got 2000 to recognize my devices, etc. However, no matter what I do, I cannot connect to the internet. Called my ISP and everything is set up correctly on my end in regards to IE and networking. They can even "see" my computer. Tech support's theory is that since I deleted my firewall (Zonealarm) manually--long story--instead of uninstalling it "properly" port 80 got locked somehow so I can't access the 'net. How the fudge do I even find out if that's the problem and, if so, unlock it? No internet connection=no TM=VERY bad pie.

System is a PIII 450, 224 MB RAM running Win2K with SP3, IE 5.0 and latest Win2k drivers are installed for all hardware. Only other thing I can think it might be is the CAT5 crossover cable I'm using on the cable modem. Worked fine with Win98, tho.

TIA for any and all help. I'm sure it's somethin' stupid I missed.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted September 23, 2002 10:24 PM            
try to reinstall zone alarm, then uninstall it "properly".

Software firewalls wedge themselves into the OS's networking part, just deleting zonealarm's main directory doesn't remove it from the system.

IP:

Karldar
posted September 24, 2002 12:52 AM            
Hmm, reinstalled ZA, uninstalled it-no change. Deleted registry entries according to Zonelabs tech support and did NOT reinstall ZA-no change. Mebbe it's not the firewall after all...gonna check for newer drivers for my NIC.

EDIT: BTW, thanks for the help, Killer!

[This message has been edited by Karldar (edited September 24, 2002).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted September 24, 2002 02:34 AM            
Goto your connections dialog and select proporties, then uncheck or check USE PROXY SERVER.

Make sure ur browser isnt set to "work off line" (see file menu).

And give it a blast.

If it persists reinstall your browser to rest the settings to default (includes registry).

IP:

Karldar
posted September 24, 2002 11:40 PM            
Hrm, well, thanks for the advice, /2ixy. Unfortunately, no dice... . Gonna attempt to un/reinstall IE and search for some more tech help, but might resort to backing everything up and "upgrading" to XP since it seems a tad more friendly. Been meaning to wipe my HDD's and start fresh anyhoo. Thx, guys.

IP:

KONG
posted September 25, 2002 08:37 AM            
Sorry to hear that It probably can be fixed from the registry. Wish I knew more about that darn thing myself...

IP:

Karldar
posted September 25, 2002 08:42 PM            
Well, before I wound up with GB's of data on my drives, I used to reformat at least once a year just to maintain that clean, fresh scent . Plus I just got lazy....

If I can get my 'stick hooked up to my wife's computer I might play more, but goin' back to the keyboard is mighty rough after all this time LOL.

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 30, 2002 09:50 PM            
Try a fresh install of Win2k (just install it fresh to a new dir). I'm not sure how the upgrade works, however if you do a complete fresh install, Win2k doesn't recognize any priorly installed applications so any Zone Alarm problems should go away.

Also, when you do that, upgrade to SP2, not SP3. SP3 has some problems - I know someone that when they installed it on their mail server, their mail server stopped functioning as a server. It could be that.

I've personally never had problems with my Win2k install.

You said that your ISP can see you connected, but you can't see the internet...that seems quite odd.

--RC

IP:

Karldar
posted September 30, 2002 10:23 PM            
Very interesting...I haven't had time to reformat my drives, so I'll try reinstalling Win2k. Thx for the advice, RC .

IP:

Karldar
posted October 02, 2002 12:45 AM            
ARGH! Trying to do a fresh install of Win2k, but the stupid thing won't recognize my keyboard. Since my kboard's dead I can't type in my name. Since I can't type in my name, it won't let me finish setting up 2k. WTF?! It did the same thing when I upgraded from Win98 to 2k. Only thing I did different this time was install it to a different drive and stuck with FAT32 rather than convert. Thought maybe the conversion to NTFS(sp?) was the problem. Last time, neither my kboard or mouse(p/s2) would work. Stole my wife's mouse(USB) and they both worked--til now. Sorely tempted to buy a Power Mac G4-or at least switch to LINUX--lol. Oh, well-throw me some ideas if'n ya gots any...TIA-again lol.

IP: