|
Author Topic:   making a home lan Questions
Rex R
posted August 25, 2002 01:54 AM            
right so I wish to hook two (2) computers together. I managed to figure out that a 10 base ethernet is prolly my best bet. I'm given to understand that, with only 2 boxes I don't need a hub. is there anything special about the cable? do both boxes need printer drivers to use the printer?(specifically the box using the'network' printer)

IP:

KiLlEr
posted August 25, 2002 04:39 PM            
You need a cross wired eathernet cable, rather than a standard straight through.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted August 25, 2002 04:40 PM            
Yes, both machines need the printer driver installed.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted August 25, 2002 09:33 PM            
Twisted pair cat5 (rj45) cable with built in crossover if youre not using a hub.

100 is best btw, but its limitem to what you can afford... what protocol will you use for netshare ? PPP ?

IP:

Rex R
posted August 25, 2002 10:01 PM            
oh sorta like the 'old' null modem cable, yes?
protocol?, netshare?? duh, I dunno, was gonna just hitch the two together and let windows figure it out. its gonna be a bit before I try it, gotta get some stuff 1st, like a 2nd monitor and a net card.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 26, 2002 02:18 AM            
I think Client for MS Networks handles all of that.You just select that you want to share resources.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted September 02, 2002 10:03 PM            
hmmmm

IP:

Rex R
posted September 05, 2002 01:40 AM            
update; *its aliiive*
I find making netcables gets old real fast. got it up and running, did a 'few' file transfers then fired up a server on the new box (p4) then started a game on the other, had a ping of 100. so now I can put together server paks(and test them) in case anyone cares...

[This message has been edited by Rex R (edited September 05, 2002).]

IP: