|
Author Topic:   Anybody know how to.........
SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 04, 2002 03:40 AM            
Use a .par's to recover missing .rar's?

IP:

Irascible
posted August 04, 2002 04:14 AM            
No. But if you can say it 10 times in a row real fast I'll give you two bits.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 04, 2002 07:41 PM            
Anyone?Anyone?Bueller?

Ok...I have SmartPar and FSRaid but don't know how to repain the missing rar's with those programs.

Par files are usually posted on Usenet just before a RAR set.If one of those RAR's are missing or corupt the PAR files can replace those RAR's.It just saves the poster from having to repost parts because someone is missing something.

So if you are like me and have a 1.5 gig worth of a VCD and missing two RAR's out of the set I either have to request that those two be reposted or use the PAR's that came with it to replace hte missing RAR's.Thats what I'm trying to figure out how to do.

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted August 04, 2002 09:05 PM            
Logic says to rename the .par file to .rar which may or may not work. That is what I would try first. Make a copy of the .par then rename one of them to .rar, etc...

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
TreadMaps

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 04, 2002 10:34 PM            
Thats the first thing I tried.No go.You have to use a program to do it.Looks like they just reposted what I needed so that solves my problem but I'd still like to know how to use PAR.It would be really cool if I can figure out how to use them.Expecially when you are getting something that has many parts and its becoming the norm for places like Usenet and IRC so posters don't have to worry about posting fill requests.

Heres a little info on it in the alt.binaries.vcd FAQ to help explain what it is and how it works.
http://home.attbi.com/~abvcd/FAQ/abvcdfaq5.01.htm#PAR/REV_Files

IP:

Irascible
posted August 04, 2002 11:37 PM            
Is bootlegging really worth all this trouble?

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 05, 2002 04:42 AM            
Uh yes!Unless you have some money tree saplings left over for me?
And the movie studio already got my money for going to the movies and seeing it.I just to have my own copy and not wait months for the DVD...which in turn would give them yet another profit from me

IP:

Irascible
posted August 05, 2002 11:05 AM            
The white knight reveals his tarnished armor. Tisk tisk.

(Yeah, I know. For you, that might be ironic since you consider me the black knight. Hehe.)

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 05, 2002 03:40 PM            
You said that not me I never claimed to be anything...You're the Black Knight...I'm the Greyish Knight

IP:

Irascible
posted August 05, 2002 04:28 PM            
"I never claimed to be anything "
"I'm tired of being the nice guy "
"I think I'm the only one trying to be mature"

OK, so you're not the white knight. More like the nice mature grey bootlegger. LOL! Just messing with you.

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted August 05, 2002 07:29 PM            
ANYWAY...getting back on topic with parity files and how to use the.....

IP:

coaxs
posted August 05, 2002 08:20 PM            
Did somoenone say parity? Mwawawawawa

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP: