|
Author Topic:   Poor whales ;(
KiLlEr
posted July 30, 2002 11:17 PM            
Such said news. 55 pilot whales get beached.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/07/30/whales.beached.again/index.html

But what did they expect? 55 pilots and no navigator?

No wonder they got beached.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited July 30, 2002).]

IP:

STJR64
posted July 31, 2002 01:14 AM            
It's a sign of evolution.

Whales don't feel like swimming anymore, so they beach themselves...then they realize that they don't have feet...by the time they're rescued and they're swimming again, they forget that extremely important fact that they have flippers and not feet and they attempt again and again to become land animals.

That's my well-thought-out-in-2-seconds theory...

~Sçottie

IP:

Teulk
posted July 31, 2002 02:06 AM            
Oh boy....

IP:

STJR64
posted July 31, 2002 03:15 PM            
Come on, my theory isn't that bad, is it?

~Sçottie

IP:

Cap-N-Jack
unregistered
posted July 31, 2002 03:46 PM           
the birds got to eat!
whaleing is been outlawed in the US.
so now we just pick them up off the beach

------------------
old dogs never die we just smell that way

IP:

Teulk
posted July 31, 2002 04:33 PM            
Here's another one...oh man...

IP:

Cap-N-Jack
unregistered
posted August 01, 2002 12:09 PM           
hahahahahhahahhahahahhahahaha

save the whales!
harpoon FAT chicks!

------------------
old dogs never die we just smell that way

IP:

STJR64
posted August 02, 2002 02:52 AM            
Harpooning fat chicks may not be such a good idea...the screaming might get annoying, added to the fact that there's a high possibility of getting sick from looking at them...

I'm not posting on this thread anymore, it's on the verge of getting disturbing...

~Sçottie

IP:

Cap-N-Jack
unregistered
posted August 02, 2002 11:14 AM           
lol
they only scream for a little bit

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 02, 2002 05:18 PM         
Whale-style orientation works on an acoustical basis, right? That could mean they are simply unable to "see" very flatly (<- didn't know which word to put here, hope you get the point) sloped coastlines, probably expecting deeper water behind, since they don't get an echo. Same principle as used on stealth fighters - minus the radar-(sonar-)absorbing properties of their surface.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted August 04, 2002 06:56 PM            
Bah! Did you all know that the whale is the distant cousin of the ant? they were just going back home to vist there little friends.

IP:

STJR64
posted August 06, 2002 01:54 AM            
This has turned into quite an interesting conversation...

Maybe the whales wanted to invade the world but didn't plan it out well enough.

~Sçottie

IP:

posted August 06, 2002 04:10 AM            
Well actually...the whales were making a sacrifice to the human gods to appease them so that the might stop killing the rest of their brethren...sort of a weird religion among the whales species...most of the other whales think that the pilot whales are off their rocker...but there you go...even whales have fanatical believers...

IP:

STJR64
posted August 06, 2002 11:54 PM            
Perhaps we should stop before all of our minds become severely and permanently corrupted?

lol

~Sçottie

IP:

Cap-N-Jack
unregistered
posted August 07, 2002 09:22 AM           
what do you mean BEFORE ?
LOL

IP:

KiLlEr
posted August 07, 2002 10:20 AM            
Hmm, 55 whales done in because the lead whale was deaf, dumb and blind?

I bet all he wanted to do is play some pinball against Elton John.

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAHH!

IP:

KiLlEr
posted August 07, 2002 11:09 AM            
Dreamer, not really as the source of the waves and emission patterns are different. A whale's sonar waves are emmitted in a spherical pattern, which gives them a 360 degress view. A radar installation however sits on the ground and emits waves in a conical pattern aimed upward at an angle to minimise ground reflections. So a stealth aricraft with sharp angles deflects waves sideways so they donot return within the radar installations cone. However, a whale would pick up on the beach due to late reflections from above (surface of the water) and below (sea floor) as well as ahead and behind (in acoustics these are also called flutter echos). Another interesting tid bit: The water and floor meet at an acute angle at the beach, the wave patterns would bounce between the surface of the water and the sea floor. A point is eventually reached when the wavelength of the sound matches the distance between the surface and floor(the resonant frequency). This produces a nice loud warning bell for the whale. This is also the reason (in thepry at least) why whales use a frequence sweep pattern in there songs, the combination of your 2 dimensional reflection (sonar), 3 dimensional late reflections, and directional resonant tones build a complete image of whats around the whale. Quite an impressive piece acoustic processing if you ask me.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited August 07, 2002).]

IP:

STJR64
posted August 07, 2002 07:45 PM            
Are you saying our minds have already been corrupted (mine is corrupted because I'm a teenager, not necessarily because of this thread)...I hope not, because whales is not a particularly convenient subject to become corrupted on...

~Sçottie

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted August 14, 2002 05:26 PM            
! are you trying to tell me that being a teenager makes you crazy/corrupted! BAH DIE!!!!!!!!!!! *hahaha lol*

IP: