This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   TM-Central - Permanent Leave
Kevlar
posted June 01, 2002 08:06 PM            
Due to Real Life issues and server problems I will be taking a permanent Hiatus, so to speak.

I will not be able to check the forums very much at all, sorry.
And I havenít checked them for the past ten days or so.
Par will more than likely host the master packs for me.

But to point out, the community seems a bit troubling to me these days. People have become split on the issue of racism, I think its a sad time in that respect. People validate theses views by claiming freedom of speech. The rest of the world as a whole is learning to put aside old views of hatred but this community seems partially grounded in those views and claims freedom of speech as a basis for it.

It's one thing to have a freedom of speech and voice your opinion on a particular subject and quite another to voice purely racial comments and claim that freedom of speech makes it right. Racism is wrong no matter what candy you choose to coat it with, I'm sorry.

I am a very community driven person, I always have been and I don't care what color or race your are. I have never needed feedback or a pat on the back to keep me motivated in this community. But to know that others actually care what color the person on the other end of a network game is, causes me to lose my motivation to serve purely as a volunteer in what was an excellent gaming community.

I love this game and have a great deal of respect for it and its creators. My opinion of the game has not changed. And again my leaving is based on also based on Real Life issues, but I have no desire to tune in to the boards every few days to see yet another person use racism and freedom in the same breath. Racism breeds anything but freedom.

I enjoyed the time I spent working on stuff for this community. And I have no regrets about any of the work I have done. I hope others can use the packs. Judging from the daily hits I know a lot of people used the web site a lot, and it is those people I apologize to. I unfortunately feel more strongly against racism than I do in my volunteer community work.

This was not a spur of the moment decision, I took ten days off to see if things would change but they are getting worse by the day. This will be my final post. I have purposely unchecked the email notification of this thread because I will not be able to check back. I apologize to everyone else in the community that I have grown to know and respect a great deal. I know that it is a very small portion of the community that this pertains to, but I quite frankly do not have the stomach for it. I came here to play a great game and to get away from real life issues such as race.

I have seen first hand that there is no way to ban racism. Someone will always be willing to host those types of views and I understand that racism will always be there but I on the other hand do not have to be where it is. I have not the time nor the inclination to read every few days about how another person is in favor of voicing racist views. I remember a time when the only issue people had against each other was spawn killing. Those, my friend, where great discussions because they dealt only with the wonderful game of Tread Marks. It is just a game, a great tank game, but when it becomes more about the color or race of the person driving that tank, I take offense... and I take my leave.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 01, 2002 08:41 PM            
Kevlar has voiced my opinion almost to the word - I have been called anti semetist for my skins and my drawn opinion to guios comparisons to world war 2 and therein his defence. DMF will also stand down from further updates, and I will be refraining from posting LDA for the forseeable future.

Clans will continue and prevail I have no doubt, DNX especially, but the only way to maintain peace and not come under fire for every little breath and word, is simply not to speak.

Freedom of speach on this issue and with certain ppl backing it for the wrong reasons I beleive has brought this situation about. I will only and i repeat ONLY begin posting again when things have returned to normal.

I have asked sailor to remove my maps from the treadmaps site, I will finish my last one - "haunted house" and host it at dmf; from that point on, once its up - dont count on any further updates. Im proud of my work, and i beleive in finishing what ive started.

Effective End of June 2002 the DMF forums will be closed also due to lack of use.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted June 01, 2002 09:05 PM            
Racism has no place on this forum and will always be removed, and I think I have been as diligent as humanly possible to keep it off the board.

What other members of the community post on their boards is their thing, and I wouldn't let it get to you. The LDA BBoard is a place where you can relax from the world of racism. I hope you reconsider, and don't let RL take to much control of your life.

I am very tired too of all this bs on the bboard, and if I had the freedom to take a couple week vacation from it I would. I may consider trying to admin from a distance, but I dunno if it would make things worse or better.

IP:

Irascible
posted June 01, 2002 10:12 PM            
"People" have not become split. That is a gross generalization. There are a few. That's true of any decent sized group. Granted, the few malcontents that are here (did I just name myself? hehe) can make up a disproportionate amount of the posts. And some of them may even have racist notions swirling around the otherwise empty vacuum between their ears. But they by no means represent the group here at large. The notion that this community is racist or even has a strong racist element is completely absurd. There's just a FEW malcontents stirring the pot. Watch out Henny Penny! The sky is falling!

And to leave is a dereliction of your duty. "My duty?" you say. That's right. You've no doubt heard the saying about evil triumphing when good people do nothing. And leaving an otherwise good group because a few jerks are being loud is doing NOTHING. The ones that are causing the problems won't be impressed. So you'll change NOTHING. If others follow in your footsteps then the arsewipes will have won the day. In effect, you'll have helped their cause.

I could see leaving if the patient, so to speak, was terminal. But as it stands the vast majority of the players are a good bunch. A few jerks get loud and it's too much for you? Don't have kids then. They get REAL loud. As such, you'll forgive me if I say that standing up to the jerks is what a man would do.

RL issues, or simply growing tired of a game are perfectly legitimate reasons to leave (I mean come on, how many ways can you blow up digital tank before it gets old?). But leaving the game because of the actions of a small minority is pretty weak. Transfer that thinking to RL and you'd have to quit your job, quit your church and most of all quit your wife! Well... too late for some of you on that one.

Oh well. You'll be missed Kev... especially in the clan wars!
BTW, DNX suxs! (thinking about clan wars, I felt abliged to throw that in )

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 01, 2002 10:58 PM            
I do wish that you would come back once your real life affairs are in order.And I'm sure everyone else does too.So I'm not going to say goodbye just yet.

IP:

Teulk
posted June 01, 2002 11:13 PM            
Well, I find this to be a complete drag, and nothing but. Sorry to hear that "things" are getting too dicey around here. I believe in the freedom to clear your mind and soul of anything troubling (Lord knows, some of us need a cleansing or two--myself included),but it's always sad to see ANYONE having to take a "sabbatical" to achieve this. Hopefully, in time, a "healing" will take place (not only within the ranks, but without), "things" can get back to the way they were, and all our members will return to grace us with their skills of prowess as well as development.
Surely, you will be missed--

IP:

posted June 02, 2002 04:47 AM            
Man...who is going to do the videos of the death and clan matches...this really sucks now...and I still did not get to see the video of the last clan match...I actually have a video card that could do it...maybe I should give it a try...have fun Kevlar you will be missed.

As for you Ras...oh mere mortal you are...do not taunt DNX...or my minion of evil dust mite will infect your air ducts...BWHAHAHAHAHA

------------------
Play Hard...Play Fair...See You Online

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 02, 2002 03:49 PM            
Paranor has the same gear for making videos I think but I still want Kevlar back.

IP:

wolfman
posted June 02, 2002 05:25 PM            
Ditto Dude Ditto JT

IP:

peeeto
posted June 03, 2002 10:34 AM         
sorry that RL is so tough for you lately, Kev- i hope everything calms down for you soon...

thanks for everything that you've done for the community good luck, we'll miss you!

IP:

MexIndian
posted June 03, 2002 10:46 AM            
Please guys please.......

Let's make sure to not say any F**KING bad words on this thread about racism...... we don't want our kids reading about us talking about racism with bad words.

wtf.

------------------
If I were you and you were me and I fragged you whose score would go up?

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted June 03, 2002 10:47 AM            
Sent u an ICQ too Kev! Hate to see it end this way man! I hope it isn't! But if it need be then, take care man!

------------------
The Ahn-NI-hilator

IP:

Paranor
posted June 03, 2002 01:47 PM            
what did I miss? I thought the only post regarding race was guido a few weeks back. Did I miss something during my for-other-reasons break?

IP:

KiLlEr
posted June 03, 2002 01:49 PM            
The fecal matter hit the occilating device, and looks like allot of people are taking the highway. :/

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 03, 2002 02:27 PM            
Occilating, hmm isnt that more vibrational rather than rotundral ?

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted June 03, 2002 03:07 PM            
The pooh hit the fan.

I'm not sure we can blame Kevlar's leaving on what has been happening.He said it was mostly due to real life issues.Lets not make it sound worse than it is.

I'm for deleting the Mysterial thread entirely so we can get on without people keeping it alive.Everyone?..coax?

I'm sure everyone is tired of all the negatice posts on the board lately.Everyone had a chance to read it so lets say hasta la vista to it.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted June 03, 2002 03:15 PM            
Main Entry: os∑cil∑late
Pronunciation: 'š-s&-"lAt
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -lat∑ed; -lat∑ing
Etymology: Latin oscillatus, past participle of oscillare to swing, from oscillum swing
Date: 1726
1 a : to swing backward and forward like a pendulum b : to move or travel back and forth between two points
2 : to vary between opposing beliefs, feelings, or theories
3 : to vary above and below a mean value

I guess we're both wrong (including the speeling, hahahaha)

I caught the saying from an 80's movie.

So to be proper, it would be:

The Feical Matter Hit the Air-Motivatator Device.

BD

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited June 03, 2002).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 03, 2002 09:00 PM            
Lol killer.....

"The pooh hit the fan."
- ARGHHH FLYING BEARS NOW !!!!!

IP:

Karldar
posted June 04, 2002 06:37 PM            
Supe, Mystique(or somethin' like that) started "The List", not Mysterial. That's twice you've tried to pin it on our beloved programmer. Unless they're the same person, of course...lol.

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted June 05, 2002 07:27 AM            
The former inhabitant of the bowels. left and proceeded towards the nearest rotational air motivational device! Most likely at high velocity proceeding to... wait..too much?

------------------
The Ahn-NI-hilator

IP:

Grind_and_Click
posted June 05, 2002 10:34 AM            
kevlar noooooooooo

thats more than a shame, he is a top geezer
just what these forums need, neevr pissed anyone off, eveyone worth a damn likes him

*que scene where bambis mum dies*
i know you thought about this one kev, so i wont contest it, hope you return when RL lets up and these boards are a happyer place again
i feel you will return some day , so....

aurevoir =)

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 05, 2002 02:30 PM            
Too Much ??? lol NAH - try this on for size:

The former inhabitant of the lesser known intestinal tract exited forthwith at great velocity in a singualr yet slightly variant direction toward the nearest proximational rotational and occilational oxygen turbulance invoking component where upon it thusly seperated into sections of lesser gravitational mass than its former self, and under such extreme punishment proceeds to utilise it's componential liquidical chemicals to seek a lesser air pressure closer to the flat and undulating ever moving mass we pertain to call earth; upon which event it begins to purpetuate and emit it's none opulescent scent upon the masses olfactoty glands

Too much ?

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted June 05, 2002 02:46 PM            
like I said... poopoo hit the fan!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 05, 2002 07:34 PM            

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted June 05, 2002 10:44 PM            
Anyone heard from Kevlar at all?