|
Author Topic:   Linux help
coax
Administrator
posted January 19, 2002 01:43 AM            
My professor bought a dual xenon 1.8Ghz computer. 1 running windows and the other linux.

Linux seems a very strange environment it looks pseudo windows but its not. I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers in working with Linux. Or a good site explaining Linux

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted January 19, 2002 03:10 AM            
http://www.linux.org will get you started. Linux is just an intel version of the big UNIX systems such as AIX (IBM) HP-UX (Hewlett Packard), etc... The main difference between linux and windows is that they both can or do have a graphical shell environment. Windows Graphical User Interface desktop and Linux KDE or GNOME graphical desktop.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 19, 2002 04:02 PM            
I remember seein Gnome and red hat or something. Could someone just briefly tell me what these things are sorry for being such a newb.

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted January 23, 2002 03:04 PM            
GNOME and KDE are desktop environments that hide the command line interface. When you look at a Windows desktop you do not see a command line but have folders, programs and icon connections to various things in your system. The same goes for GNOME an KDE. They provide graphical representations that allow you to start programs and do various things without having to type long commands on a command line to start.
Bad boy had to correct typo.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.

[This message has been edited by Sailor (edited January 24, 2002).]

IP:

guido 1
posted January 27, 2002 10:50 PM         
check out mandrake an easy to use linux program .

------------------
Trying is the first step towards failure ... Guido the mercy killer .

IP:

Cell
posted January 31, 2002 05:52 AM         

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited March 02, 2002).]

IP: