|
Author Topic:   Lets talk about JV's Huge Ping
The Weatherman
posted January 09, 2002 11:18 AM         
Our good buddy JV never plays because his ping is so very, very large on all game servers. An interesting thing tho is that the ping is the same on all servers he goes on (like 2273). It sounds like a configuration or ISP problem to me. His regular down/up speeds are standard for a dialup. Any thoughts.
He had the latest modem drivers installed and he is running win 98.

------------------
The Weatherman [BWL]
The Weatherman's Generic Homepage
Treadhead tested, Girlfriend dissaproved ;)

IP:

JVortex
posted January 09, 2002 11:40 AM            
hehe, i just LOVE the slightly, um.. how shall we say.... "potentially twistable" title of this topic! lol

well thanks WM for gettin this started up for me. god knows id have probably never gotten around to it .

there are a couple corrections i need to put on here; one is that im not getting the EXACT same ping on all servers. my ping is however a similar outrageously high number on all servers. it averages between 2K and 3K. ive had it as high as 4something if i remember right.

the strange bit is that whatever high number it happens to be it stays at that EXACT same number while im on the server and it doesnt go up and down any like a normal ping should. also usualy i can drive around like normal, im not stuck in one place and i dont get the "slide-show effect" either. i do however get the slideshow effect with everything else on the map.

so while i can see myself driving around smoothly (well as smooth as u get w/ 56K) the other tanks, projectiles, craters and so on are teleporting around all over the place.

hope that makes sense.

1) yes ive tried altering the netrate.
2) yes ive tried it w/ no other programs running.
3) yes ive contacted my ISP and they say all is well.
4) no i havent tried that wierd DOS based IP trace thingy cause its confusing and i dont think that would be the problem anyhow. (besides, im pretty much DOS-stupid ).

any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm has arived!! :)

IP:

KONG
posted January 10, 2002 01:07 AM            
you can do a little reading here
http://www.speedguide.net/
hit tcp/ip analyzer first

IP:

=DNX=goku
posted January 10, 2002 03:26 PM            
heck yah JV your with me but i dont have pings like that much anymore sry to hear now you know how its like to be my ping

------------------
KameHaMeHa boom!!! you all are gone hehe

IP:

JVortex
posted January 14, 2002 03:05 AM            
well looks like im mostly back in the game. after installing a new hard drive and thus fresh drivers and so on, i can now play online again . my ping still isnt too great, averages in around 400. so its still hard to play well, but at least i can mostly get in there .

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted January 14, 2002 06:52 AM            
Join the 400+ club!! It's tiresome and seemingly sluggish at first, but in the end, it prepares you and betters your anticipation for if you were ever to go onto broadband or somehow be able to connect at a high ping again!!

I'm actually in the 500+ club, but ocassionally join 400 and even less often, the 300! Some of us don't do too badly!

------------------
Lemon Curry?!?!

IP: