|
Author Topic:   Random Problems
Neo
posted December 21, 2001 10:26 PM            
...I have Win98se and:

1) When I run defrag, it tells me: "windows cannot defragment this drive because it contains errors that must first be repaired". So I run scandisk, which restarts an infinite number of times even when all other progs have been exited/closed. So I run scandisk in MSDOS and it comes up with "scandisk did not find any errors on this drive".

wtf?!

2) Now my browser won't access the uconn website, one of the few websites that I go to regularly other than this one (since I am a UConn student). Loads every other site, just not www.uconn.edu. wtf?! The site loads on my dad's Macintosh Powerbook, so it doesn't have anything to do with the server, though it did load like molasses in February.

3) My email app (outlook) won't load my UConn email, either! Since this is the only email addy I use, this is bad news for me.

I run Norton fairly often and it never comes up with anything, plus I run a firewall at all times, so I don't think its a virus or anything. Reinstalled IE to version 5 and still had same trouble. any ideas? anyone?

IP:

STJR64
posted December 22, 2001 12:32 AM            
You sure you don't have any viruses? You might want to check that again...
To run ScanDisk in a most efficient way--use the Ctrl+Alt+Delete command to close every program except Explorer, then run Scandisk, it should work.
I've never used Norton for AntiVirus stuff, I use McAfee, so I can't really help you there.
I tried accessing that site, and it came up like a flash, I can think of only 1 thing that could be wrong--if you are using your Favorites folder to access the site, try updating your links, maybe they got screwed up somehow. Or just type the site into your address bar. I'm sure you've already tried that but I'm suggesting everything I can think of.
And finally, with Outlook, I have never used it. I've seen people use it and I have no clue, but someone else on here should know.
I hope some of these things help

~Scott Jr.

IP:

KONG
posted December 22, 2001 01:14 AM            
neo, I have been having the same probs lately. It's not a virus. not sure what it is. your ISP? mindspring/earthlink? one of there assoc.?for about 3 months now. I thought it was a problem with java. I still think it is a problem with java

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited December 22, 2001).]

IP:

Rex R
posted December 22, 2001 01:43 AM            
try disabling norton av before defrag/scandisk.

IP:

Neo
posted December 22, 2001 03:42 PM            
Thanks for the help, guys.

I run scandisk alone, with nothing but taskbar and explorer running. Also ran it in MSDOS, so it's not restarting due to other progs writing, but probably windows itself.

As for the browser problems, Kong, you might be right--might have something to do with Java since I have been having problems with some other java related sites. I kinda wish there was some kind of java cache I could just dump and start over with...

Thanks, guys.

IP:

Karldar
posted December 22, 2001 04:35 PM            
WTF? is right! I've had the same defrag probs lately and I too think it is somehow related to java. The only corrupt files that scandisk found were java applets(or parts thereof) on my HD, but it took 2-3 times for it to find them. Had to do an awful lot of damn reboots . I dunno-prolly wipe my HD after Xmas and start over. I wanna try out Win2K.

BTW, I use power defrag http://www.powerdefrag.com/
and it seems to work pretty well as long as my disks are in good shape.

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP: