|
Author Topic:   Computer Hardware help
The Weatherman
posted December 21, 2001 02:08 AM         
Okay, My computer chassis is not grounded properly. When I try to plug in a component into the back just by feel, I often hear little electrical crackilies and shome times my computer restarts itself. Where/how is a computer usually grounded? I thought that the PWR supply automatically grounded its metal box, which is connnected to the leg-bone and the leg-bone is connected to the chassis. Thusly, groundulation is renobberated throught the chassis and all metal parts therein. So, is my powersupply faulty or should I try to make a better leg-bone with some wire and bits of tape? any testing ideas - I have a voltmeter yet I don't know how to use it. Should I try to connect my kittly to the pwr supply case and put her pawsls in water? is there a more humane way to test the ground? Please, my kot is dying to find a better solution.

IP:

Rex R
posted December 21, 2001 02:28 AM            
test yer outlet and make sure its wired correctly. doesn't happen often with newer buildings but some times they get the wires crossed. need an outlet polarity tester(local hardware store should have them) and yes the pwr supply should be auto grounded simply by the act of screwing it down to the chasis. all I ken think of. hope it helps

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted December 21, 2001 10:34 PM            
You do use a grounded plug for the system I take it. You might check the Plug and cord to ensure you do not have any broken wires and that the plug is truly grounded if your wall outlet is properly grounded. That is my two centavos..

IP: