|
Author Topic:   New 'puter vs. old
Karldar
posted December 20, 2001 02:30 PM            
K, time for more of my ignorant questions .
The backstory: A few years(3-4) ago, when I was insane, I purchased a Compaq Presario 1500-somethin'. It had a whopping 32 MB of RAM, Pentium processor at 200 MHz, and a huge 4.3 GB HD-spent, like, 2 grand on the damn thing. Sweet, huh ? Well, the poor thing soon got WAY too slow for me(plus, it only had a 2D POS mobo integrated vid card *shudder*). You oughta see TM 1.0 run in software mode-LOL! Anyways, I moved on up to the East side with a PIII Gateway and gave the Compaq to my Dad(who didn't care how slow it was-then, anyway). He's thinkin' of getting a new 'puter and giving the old one to my brother to upgrade.

Now I want my bro to play TM and he wants to play with photoshop and stuff, but wouldn't it be easier to use that ol' Compaq as a paperweight or desk support rather than try to upgrade it? I mean, you can get a much better computer now for a few hundred bucks and it might cost that much just to get compatible parts for the old one. That's MHO, but I wanted to see what the hardware-savvy Treadheads think before I break the news to my Pops.

TIA

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

Rex R
posted December 21, 2001 01:39 AM            
I would think that a new box would be a better bet. if nothing else the power supply on the old box would be rather stressed after adding a burner, dvd, decent sound and any other pwr hungry accessaries. consider I recently got(best buy) an hp pavilion with a 1.5 ghz p4(no comments pls) with a burner,dvd, front mount usb,serial ports and 384 mb ram. also digital photo software for $1300 (ok so the video aint so hot, tnt2 m64 32 mb, but it can run tm fairly well)

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted December 21, 2001 10:38 PM            
Well you could gut the old system and build a completely new one in the box. That way you do not need to buy the case. Otherwise buy a new system. Although building a new one out of the old can be both fun and entertaining as well as educational. Take your choice.

IP:

KONG
posted December 22, 2001 12:22 AM            
really, save the drives and scrap the rest.
rex- sounds like a fair deal, a dvd burner goes for about 400-500 buck right now. But can it be upgraded? cpu? MB probably not.think i'm gonna buy a new monitor for xmas. for myself. amy suggestions?
dont feel bad, last xmas I bought this really fine machine... compaq notebook. 433 mhz, 64 mb ram, dvd player, 8 mb shared video. all for the amazingly low price of 1800 dollars. ... hindsight is always 20/20. lol................

------------------
WHY BOTHER?...

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited December 22, 2001).]

IP:

STJR64
posted December 22, 2001 12:40 AM            
The strange thing about prebuilt systems is that they usually use specially designed parts so that it's VERY difficult to upgrade them.
I would suggest finding someplace that builds custom systems or sells individual parts and build your own system--if you need help with that, e-mail me <s_t_64@yahoo.com>.
Trust me, I've tried upgrading a Compaq and it was definitely not pretty.
By the way, saving the case may be a good idea depending on the shape of it; again, Compaq is known to use specially designed motherboards for their specially designed cases.

~Scott Jr.

P.S. Compaqs suck

IP:

Rex R
posted December 22, 2001 01:48 AM            
me bad should have been more specific. cd burner not dvd(I could wish) still with the cd burner it means not losing every thing. currently averaging bout 8 hr per seti work unit

IP: