|
Author Topic:   !!! Hardware Question !!!
peeeto
posted December 13, 2001 01:21 PM         
if a CPU processor fan gave out on a Celeron 400MHz and something happened, due to overheating, where the computer will now boot ONLY in safe mode, do you think:

1) that the processor is still OK, and i could replace the fan,
2) that the processor is shot, and i could probably just replace the processor (with a good fan), or
3) the processor is shot, and the computer is now a boat anchor.

what's your best guess, guys?

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 13, 2001 01:33 PM            
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "and something happened, due to overheating." but at 15 bucks a pop I would replace the fan first to see if that works, before replacing the $400 processor.

IP:

Rex R
posted December 13, 2001 01:45 PM            
I'ld try the fan 1st(tho it doesn't sound promising) then make back ups (if possible). worst case well prices on new boxes aint bad.

IP:

peeeto
posted December 13, 2001 02:02 PM         
OK - all seems to be well... i got the 'puter re-started while i cooled the CPU with a duster (man - my fingers are COLD!).

it booted into windowz OK, but the CPU fan made all sorts of noise as it tried to turn

so i'll go get a new fan & hope it's all OK...

thanks for the responses, guys!

[EDIT] it worked... replaced the fan & all is well :P

[This message has been edited by peeeto (edited December 13, 2001).]

IP:

STJR64
posted December 22, 2001 12:42 AM            
WHEEEE
Jeez I guess I'm too late to offer any assistance--sorry I couldn't help before.
Peeeto, if this happens again and your computer still boots, replace the fan, it'll be no problem. If your processor gives out, your computer will not do anything when it is given power.
Oh man I was too slow
Sorry everyone

~Scott Jr.

IP: