|
Author Topic:   Computer training?
Karldar
posted November 29, 2001 10:50 AM            
K, this is just more of my silly, pie-induced curiosity ... Seein' as there are plenty of old salts(pun intended, Sailor) with tons of 'puter experience roaming these boards, mebbe ya'll can explain something to me.

I've been actively using computers since the mid '80's and enjoy it MOST of the time. While in the Army, I was assigned the additional duty of IT guy on a few occasions. Had to deal with hardware and software issues on everything from old 8088's(remember Bernoulli boxes?-lol) to Pentiums. Anyhoo, I prefer the hardware repair aspect to programming and have considered pursuing a career in the field. To learn about more modern systems, I enrolled in an intermediate computer science course at my university. Initially, the professor discussed the origins of computers and we went over the jargon and basic components. After a few days of catatonia, we started to learn C++. However, that's all the classwork entailed-C++ programming to solve textbook math problems. I dropped the class out of frustration that computer "science" evidently consisted of C++ programming. I guess I got my hopes up too high.

I was just wondering: What gives? Is this representative of all university computer science programs-or is my university "special"? Also, would I be correct in assuming that a technical school would be better suited to my tendency to take systems apart and (attempt) to put them back together?

Wow, this is, like, my longest post ever, I think.... Scary, huh?

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

swisher
posted November 29, 2001 06:09 PM            
Perhaps a tech college with a PC repair course would be a better fit?

------------------
Swisher - Check out ENTegrety for mods.
BWL/MG

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 03, 2001 05:59 PM            
CS won't have you dealing with PC hardware. IMO the best way to learn about PC hardware is to get a bunch of old stuff and play with it.

IP:

peeeto
posted December 04, 2001 09:41 AM         
this may be more involved than you (or any sane person) might want to get, but if you want to DESIGN hardware, you're best off getting a degree in electrical engineering...

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted December 06, 2001 01:40 PM            
I do not think you want to design hardware, but work on it - right. Then the suggestion about a Tech school course on hardware or just getting old stuff and tearing it apart and putting something new together from it is the best option. There are PC repair courses all over the place, but some of them are a simple rip-off. Check out your options in the local area and see what the best fit is. You are right most University courses are geared toward programming and Project Leader career scenarios. Hope that helps.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.

IP:

Karldar
posted December 20, 2001 02:13 PM            
Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the info and advice, guys. It's much appreciated .

EDIT: Actually, I was an electrical engineering major for a semester or two, Peeeto . But, yeah, a little more than I was willing to get into.

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

[This message has been edited by Karldar (edited December 20, 2001).]

IP: