|
Author Topic:   Computer Questions
coax
Administrator
posted September 12, 2001 11:14 PM            
Whats virtual memory? And why does my computers say don't mess around with the settings unless I know what I'm doing? Any answers would be appreciated.

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

KONG
posted September 12, 2001 11:48 PM            
kind of uses your hard drive for memory/swap file. i allocate a 1 gig partition for mine.
not sure exactly what goes there but if there isn't enough bad things happen.

IP:

LordDrow
posted September 12, 2001 11:49 PM            
Virtual Memory is space on your hard drive that windows uses to sort of emulate any memory it needs above and beyond the physical memory you have. Anything that takes more memory than what is available as hardware is created on the hard drive. Its not recommended you mess with it because if you set things incorrectly, you could cause windows to become unstable or not run correctly at all any longer.

=MM=LordDrow

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted September 14, 2001 03:26 PM            
Virtual memory is equivalent to however much disk space is allocated to the swapfile as well as some internal parameters that MickeySoft will not tell you about which are related to how your virtual memory gets used. Its purpose is to allow for removal from active memory programs and data that are not currently active to provide room to move active programs and data into real memory so they can be executed or worked on. It you alter the virtual memory and make a mistake you truly can destabilize your system. So, if you do not understand it then definitely do not alter it. Hope that helps a little more.

IP: